Search

I need a mule...

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2016, 7:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
I need a mule...

Since the description of this sub forum reads: "Discussion of methods to maximize miles and/or points either through trips dedicated to no other reason than the miles/points, or through creative alteration of trips to extend their earning capacity in often unique ways." I feel my post is appropriate here.

This is a long shot but those who know the Marathon Man know I do strange and creative things, so hey what the heck...

Anyway, I need help with getting two packages to two different countries.
This is because it would cost me more to send by post than it would to do this with someone already flying there...

Of course the people involved would get to look in the packages I present to be sure the contents are ok. Also, whomever is willing to do this with me would vet me, we would speak by phone and email or text first, and we would solidify all details whereas I am willing to take the risks that things may not pan out (like if the box gets lost like airlines do sometimes). I have to put my trust in you, the flyer, and am willing to do that for your helping me with this favor.

Here's the skinny:

One of my hobbies is trading beer. I am a member of several online forums that do this and also meet people in person to trade some of today's best IPAs and stouts, sours, porters, etc. And I often have access to these, as the "Renaissance" of beer, or the "Sonoma Valley" of beer happens to have many of its routes and highlights in the northeast USA where I live.

I have shipped beer, packed well and with care to detail, to people all over the USA and have received many without issue too. But shipping internationally is quite different and can be costly and risky. And I need to get some certain beers to two friends.

As well as any minimal costs that may be involved to do this, I would offer some of these great beers to any person who would take them to these people--or at least to the city near them or where you land/to hotel or office, etc.

What I would do is discuss with you what beers you may like in a nice box for you for helping me--and I can suggest some great ones I can get for you, and I would pack that box for you and the one I am sending to my friend. I would ship those to you at your home or office promptly (there are time and coolness issues but I am aware of these depending on where you live). You could open both boxes. take out your beer and just check my other box and re seal it for me. Or pack its contents in your luggage with instructions I could offer on how best to do this. I have brought over 100 bottles and cans from all over the world in my suitcases and know methods to make this work well. Also, of course, airlines do allow it as long as it is in a checked bag and not a carry on. I would pay any extra bag fees but we are not talking about a large amount... maybe 15-22lbs worth at most, or under 10kg.

You would fly to the airport of the country that you are going to and we would let the receiver know you are there. I would have that person come get it, if that is best.

The countries are:

London, UK
Sydney, Australia

Do I have any helpers? I would imagine that the perfect person for this is someone who (A) is also creative and a bit wacky like me (B) likes or wants to try all these wild beers that are popular now (C) is flying to these countries at some point rather soon.

Again, you are already going for whatever reason you have to travel. In this deal, you get some GREAT beers for yourself for free, and you get to help a fellow traveler all in one.

Doubters and neysayers: Remember, I am offering to have the flyer fully vet me, and open whatever I am asking them to bring with them overseas. So the only risk here is that a reader here who likes beer didn't jump on this before a different beer lover did!

Thanks for considering this!

I can answer all questions here and in PMs.
Old Dec 8, 2016, 7:53 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
Funny, I was thinking the same thing, one guy in the UK was looking for some 2016 BCBS, but he doesn't have much to trade.
Old Dec 8, 2016, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by arollins
Funny, I was thinking the same thing, one guy in the UK was looking for some 2016 BCBS, but he doesn't have much to trade.
You speak of Bourbon County Brand Stout? There are a few good ones out there--I myself dont like Goose Island beers so much but there are others.

I can offer Hill Farmstead twilight of the Idols... I believe it is among the best porters there are, and also some tree House singleshot among others. Or Alchemist Luscious...

Are you flying to the UK any time soon? That one is the more important delivery right now...
Old Dec 8, 2016, 8:22 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
Yes, GI. Sorry, but I'm transiting through LHR around the 29th, 2.5hr connection, wont have much time though, sorry.

I presume you belong to the FB group of stouts and IPA? That's where I saw the thread from the UK guy looking for BCBS.

Love Alchemist, just last month I had my first HT, it certainly changed my perspective towards IPA. That's my favorite now.

Good luck finding the mule.
Old Dec 8, 2016, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by arollins
Yes, GI. Sorry, but I'm transiting through LHR around the 29th, 2.5hr connection, wont have much time though, sorry.

I presume you belong to the FB group of stouts and IPA? That's where I saw the thread from the UK guy looking for BCBS.

Love Alchemist, just last month I had my first HT, it certainly changed my perspective towards IPA. That's my favorite now.

Good luck finding the mule.
Yes, -a couple of fb private trading groups.
The guy I know was seeking beers I have but i have had issues sending so I need to fly them to him instead, and just happen to be a flyertalket lol so thats where I came up with this idea!

The aussie one is actually an expat long time friend of mine who misses the beer we have here so I wanna surprise him
Old Dec 8, 2016, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Also, heady etc from vt is easy for me to get as we ski there every weekend and its like 3 miles from the condo
Old Dec 8, 2016, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks for thinking of it tho
Safe travels!
Old Dec 8, 2016, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Just a side note on my dealio here and why I am doing this...

The UK guy is a friend who sent me beer in a trade we agreed upon and his is on the way. But my shipment to him got held up and returned to me (in tact) in one day but I had to eat the shipping costs. I am a bit skiddish on trying to ship again--I have plenty experience with shipping but overseas is different because unlike the Usa, they really will check if its beer in there and deny you. So bringing it as luggage remains my only option and I do owe him back.

The Aussie one is a friend from college who lives in Sydney now and I am just trying to give him great beers he misses.

That is why I need all this. I am getting many pms for beer trades and would love to do those at some point but my main focus is to ship these boxes overseas.
Old Dec 9, 2016, 10:08 am

Programs: DL DM/1MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by Marathon Man
You speak of Bourbon County Brand Stout? There are a few good ones out there--I myself dont like Goose Island beers so much but there are others.
I have one bottle downstairs left of the 2012 BC Stout - I popped one on my birthday, and it was one of the finest things I've ever imbibed!
Old Dec 9, 2016, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by redii
I have one bottle downstairs left of the 2012 BC Stout - I popped one on my birthday, and it was one of the finest things I've ever imbibed!
Are you willing to trade it? I do have some hill farmstead twilight of the idols Porter which is outstanding as well as other things.

I have now actually completed getting my package to the United Kingdom so part of this thread is fulfilled

Thank you all!
Old Dec 10, 2016, 9:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Sorry but how is this Mileage Run related?
Old Dec 11, 2016, 12:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tcook052
1) See the part of the forum description I bolded in my first sentence of my first post.

2) many ft people I know like to kill two birds with one stone so if someone is already doing a mr they now have more justification or value

3) fters help each other out--or should, instead of there always being one who asks questions like yours to buzz kill creative efforts
Old Dec 11, 2016, 1:31 am

Programs: Delta - PM , MM; Hilton - Diamond, Marriott - Peon
Originally Posted by tcook052
Definitely MR topic!

I just wish you'd posted it a week earlier! I am in the UK right now and would have been happy to help. As I'm on a business trip you wouldn't have had the airfare even to worry about (I'm sure we could have worked out some liquid compensation though!).
Old Dec 11, 2016, 2:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tanglin
Definitely MR topic!

I just wish you'd posted it a week earlier! I am in the UK right now and would have been happy to help. As I'm on a business trip you wouldn't have had the airfare even to worry about (I'm sure we could have worked out some liquid compensation though!).
There may be other times then!
Old Dec 11, 2016, 8:36 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Vietnam Airlines Lotusmiles Platinum
South Africa

I just returned from South Africa with 21 bottles of wine in my baggage, 1 bottle of liqueur, and many other assorted SA goodies! Approx 61 kg's in all!

I was acting as my own mule!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.