Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

Did You Do a Mileage Run or Mattress Run in 2016? Poll

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 10, 2016, 1:11 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jspira
This is the discussion thread for the 2016 "Did You Do a Mileage Run or Mattress Run This Year" poll.

Please take the poll by clicking here - and then join in the discussion below.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2016, 2:41 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums
Original Poster

Please click here for the article and poll results. <--The link to the poll results will be added here when it is available.

Ah, yes — the good old mileage run or mattress run, where you travel or stay in a hotel room solely to earn elite level status in a frequent travel loyalty program for the next year...the lengths of what some FlyerTalk members would do to enjoy benefits and perks during the following year.

Despite earning miles and points in many frequent travel loyalty programs becoming increasingly based on revenue in conjunction with tighter restrictions — to the point where earning elite level status is significantly more difficult — did you embark on one this year?

FlyerTalk — the largest Internet travel community in the world with a rich base of travel knowledge — has collaborated with Frequent Business Traveler magazine in a poll pertaining to you doing a mileage run or mattress run in 2016 to qualify for elite level status in 2017.

This poll — which only has four questions to which you would respond either yes or no — will be active through December 13, 2016. Frequent Business Traveler will provide the poll; FlyerTalk members — yes, you in particular — will provide the opinions.

The primary purpose of this particular discussion is for you to opine and elaborate on your thoughts as to what factors contributed to your decisions on whether or not you embarked on either a mileage run or a mattress run in 2015; as well as to learn from other FlyerTalk members about their decisions which may be beneficial to you for next year.

Results of this poll will be announced both on-line in the magazine and here on FlyerTalk. Here is the discussion from last year.

So — did you do a mileage run or mattress run in 2016 to qualify for elite level status for 2017? I personally never embark on mileage runs or mattress runs; but please participate in this quick and easy poll today and let everyone know!

Last edited by Canarsie; Dec 10, 2016 at 12:58 am
Old Nov 27, 2016, 7:46 am

It may be operator error on my part, but when I click the link I don't get a poll, but rather an article about a poll (with no link I can discern to take me to that poll).

Am I doing something wrong? Can someone provide a link to the actual poll itself?
Old Nov 27, 2016, 9:19 am
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by Counsellor
It may be operator error on my part, but when I click the link I don't get a poll, but rather an article about a poll (with no link I can discern to take me to that poll).

Am I doing something wrong? Can someone provide a link to the actual poll itself?
How odd. It was there yesterday. I've sent a note on to the Frequent Business Traveler folks. Thanks for reporting this.
Old Nov 27, 2016, 10:13 am
Community Director Emerita

Counsellor, it's now fixed. Thanks for calling this out.
Old Nov 27, 2016, 2:17 pm

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
Let me add our apologies for the brief interruption as well. It was part of adding a mobile device-specific link and the content management system ate the survey instead of doing what it was supposed to do.
Old Nov 27, 2016, 4:34 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Technically I'm probably going to be at four mileage/segment runs for the year:
-Most glaring is the DL-based VS run I did back in April (where I racked up 11 segments in four days).
-I'll count the ORD-JFK flight on B6 I did in August as one since I did that flight solely to bag 75k points as part of an offer.
-I've also got one I did on Friday/Saturday (where I nested a B6-based SQ run/product test in an Amtrak run).
-And there will probably be one more Amtrak run before the end of the year.
Old Nov 28, 2016, 4:38 am

Programs: AC75 MM
I padded my miles for AC's program when I booked in Sept 2015 for a Spring 2016 flight.
Then they changed the rules by adding an AQD requirement (which I will fail to reach).
Nonetheless I enjoyed my inexpensive J class flight from Canada to Europe!
Old Nov 28, 2016, 8:35 am

Programs: DL Platinum, 1 MM
Originally Posted by jspira
Let me add our apologies for the brief interruption as well. It was part of adding a mobile device-specific link and the content management system ate the survey instead of doing what it was supposed to do.
Maybe I am showing my age here, but in the old days we used to have something called quality control whose job it was to make sure everything checked out before releasing it to the masses. The cat ate my homework didn't cut it back then. Just sayin ...
Old Nov 28, 2016, 12:57 pm

Programs: Air Canada - Aeroplan Black, AC - E50K, NEXUS/GE
Got two mileage runs coming up. One with 9 segments in 2 days, one with 8 segments in one day (6 on turboprops >.<)
Old Nov 28, 2016, 2:32 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Many many MR's here. Already dreading.....I mean looking forward to 2017.
Old Nov 28, 2016, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
The link seems to be down again.

Back to the question: Guilty on both charges, on many occasions even combined
Old Nov 28, 2016, 5:55 pm

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by onobond
just checked. Seems fine
Old Nov 29, 2016, 5:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Originally Posted by jspira

Originally Posted by onobond

Back to the question: Guilty on both charges, on many occasions even combined
just checked. Seems fine
Also just checked. The link in the first row in Canarsies OP is still greyed out - not available. The bolded blue link in the middle of the same post is dated December 2015, and gives thanks to all interested with a greeting that those responsible are indeed out on a MR themselves, hence, business closed. The links in the bottom line of OP is, however, now working. (Did not at time for previous post). The ultra-bottom line links are abovementioned post from 2015 and another from 2012.

As this seems to be a yearly returning survey, I was surprised to see the copy-and-paste layout of November 2016, not to different from December 2015.

Who takes the credit ($) for the FT community participating in this, and other similar surveys?
Old Nov 29, 2016, 6:33 am

Programs: UA-Perma Plat, Hyatt-Sucks, HHonors - Dia., Marriott - Gold
They are missing a category.

They should now be tracking Dollar runs given PQD requirements.
Old Nov 29, 2016, 9:23 am

Programs: AA EXP 3mm, Hertz Presidents Circle, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by GeoMedic
They should now be tracking Dollar runs given PQD requirements.
Valid point, but what about Dollars for EQM as well?

My only "Mileage Run" this year, was to take a planned flight in Paid First instead of Coach for the EQM multiplier.

So technically, I didn't take any extra flights, but did make extra spend. The airlines must love me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.