Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

Finding Deals to Final Destination

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2016, 7:48 pm
pbj
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat

So I'm trying to build my first MR as I'm going to be pretty short hitting DM this year on Delta.

Did some quick searching, but didn't come up with much (granted I'm multitasking MR and the debate)

I've found one way outbound from my home airport and nested a trip which right now is pricing out at about 5cpm. My issue is trying to figure out where in the country I can position myself to get a low fare back to my home airport. Tools like Google Flights are awesome for finding where you can go outbound, but what about getting back. Here's an example, if I could figure where I could get from XXX-GRR on 6-Nov for a reasonable price I could possibly find an LAX-XXX-GRR flight.

Depart Depart Arrive Cost Miles
4-Nov GRR->LAX 5:35am 10:55am 131 2479
5-Nov LAX->BOS 8:30am 5:16pm 140.3 2611
5-Nov BOS->LAX 6:35pm 10:07pm 140.3 2611
??????????????????
411.6 7701 0.053447604
Old Oct 19, 2016, 8:43 pm

Programs: Hilton credit card Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
You can look at the map for a one way from LAX on the 6th, and find cities that are cheap to get to. For example, SFO, PHX, TUS, SMF, LAS, PDX are all under $100. Then try a one way, listing those cities in the origination field and GRR in the destination and see if anything worthwhile pops up. If not, look at the cities that are under $150 from LAX.

A problem that you are up against is that Tuesday, Wednesday and Saturday are cheap days to fly; Sunday is expensive so you're unlikely to find anything similarly priced. You might try the first two weekends in December. Also, GRR-LAX seems quite nicely priced, why not just do GRR-LAX-GRR multiple times instead of trying to nest?
Old Oct 19, 2016, 8:50 pm
pbj
Original Poster

Yeah, been working on exactly that now.. Not coming up with much.. And it's only one weekend, will check multiple weekends. I can do the GRR-LAX burn and turn multiple times, may be the best option as I can do those any day I'm not traveling for my job. I'm a spreadsheet nerd so building out multiple scenarios, just running out of time and was looking for 1 or 2 brutal weekends vs 4-5 quick turns.

I'm waiting on my Passport to get returned, realized just last week it expires in April (thought it was August) or I'd do a SIN or HND or LIM trip to help out. This is a contingency plan.
Old Oct 19, 2016, 9:19 pm
pbj
Original Poster

I think my best bet is booking a late Dec GRR-SIN or the cheap JFK-SIN trip and just grit my teeth.. Passport is on expedite so I should be safe...
Old Oct 19, 2016, 9:56 pm

Programs: Hilton credit card Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Yes, if you need big miles it is no fun getting them a few thousand at a time. But watch out, prices to Asia are significantly higher after December 8.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.