Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

Alas! Very few "real" deals on FT right now.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Alas! Very few "real" deals on FT right now.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2016, 7:57 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Madone59
Not always. I am part of a pretty strong off-line group and I've seen a lot hours, even days before it surfaces on FT or a blog.
That's awesome. Maybe one day I'll be so lucky
Old Oct 15, 2016, 12:36 am

Originally Posted by izzik
Posting deals on a website that is watched by EVERYONE kinda has that effect of shortening the lifespan of deals.

Stop posting deals on FT.
Seriously.
Well, unless you want to kill the deals.
Link up with fellow deal-hunters on social media and share it privately.
That's what the rest of us do.
You have been a member of FT for over 15 years and now you post this?

People who post deals/airfares (like you and me) are now part of what is wrong with FT?
Old Oct 16, 2016, 2:35 pm
Suspended

If you cannot openly post a deal for fear the blogs will "steal" them; and if you cannot openly discuss Fuel Dumping tricks in the trick-it thread because of its toxic environment; then what is the purpose of having a FORUM?

No wonder alternative chat rooms are thriving.
Old Oct 19, 2016, 6:06 am

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Originally Posted by lewende
It appears right now FT has a lot of "pseudo-deals", such as $2,000~ biz class C1-C3, and you name it.

When it was a few years back, these so called deals would be dwarfed by rounds and rounds of super-promotional premium cabin fares launched by airlines, interns, OTAs, and ATPCO.

Nowadays, I certainly witness a dearth of such legendary and remarkable super-promotional airfare deals published on FT. Has FT's era been concluded?
Comeon man, stop whining and go out there and find us a good deal.
Old Oct 19, 2016, 10:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by harryhv
Coupon Connection? It disappeared off my screen a while back so I dont come here much any more, is it back?
OT but AFAIK CC never disappeared, although AA offers have been banned. IIRC there's a post and time on FT requirement to see it and I assume that anyone who's banned from CC cannot see it at all. Obviously you must log in to see it.
Old Oct 20, 2016, 8:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt D/HHonors D/ SPG P/ Marriott P/ IHG P/ UA 1K/ AA EXP/ DL D
Originally Posted by rbAA
Comeon man, stop whining and go out there and find us a good deal.
I already did.
Old Oct 21, 2016, 8:51 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GfL, Lufthansa SEN, Hilton Diamond, misc other stuff
Originally Posted by Madone59
Not always. I am part of a pretty strong off-line group and I've seen a lot hours, even days before it surfaces on FT or a blog.
The question here is whether it helps to have access before it surfaces. Some of the interesting deals are live for weeks and have been successfully used. The moment they become public the properties notice and kill them.

Being first doesn't help any longer - it's about keeping it secret unfortunately.
Not to brag but I am sitting on a bunch of great deals and do testing with them. The ones that are public get killed while others may survive for months.
Old Oct 21, 2016, 8:52 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GfL, Lufthansa SEN, Hilton Diamond, misc other stuff
Originally Posted by YHVH
I agree, whats the point of this section if people are just going to be ....ing stingy asses, book your goddamn ticket and spread the wealth.
Publicity kills deals.
Old Oct 21, 2016, 9:05 am

Originally Posted by El_Duderito
Publicity kills deals.
For who?

How many tickets are you going to actually book?

Book your .... first then post the deal, whats the problem?
Old Oct 21, 2016, 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by El_Duderito
The question here is whether it helps to have access before it surfaces. Some of the interesting deals are live for weeks and have been successfully used. The moment they become public the properties notice and kill them.

Being first doesn't help any longer - it's about keeping it secret unfortunately.
Not to brag but I am sitting on a bunch of great deals and do testing with them. The ones that are public get killed while others may survive for months.
If you have to say "not to brag", you are probably bragging.

You have posted many airfares to FT in the past. Why did you post those if you knew publicity would kill them?
Old Oct 21, 2016, 7:53 pm

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
Originally Posted by CokeandTaco
If you have to say "not to brag", you are probably bragging.
This is a fact. And the general sentiment expressed in this thread is true. Go back and look at the best deals posted on FT over the past few years and many of them are from posters with 10 posts or less.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 12:10 am

The whole 'post or dont post' battle goes on and on - and both sides have merit.

As a newer member to the community, I am still learning how to find and tweak the deals that I can. Without the base-line of people sharing thoughts, ideas and deals, I have no chance of learning or participating.

Getting into the private groups is elusive ...and if I cant post anything, how can I be seen (thus be invited)?

I fully get the idea that simply by sharing the deals we run the risk of them getting closed, but at the same time NOT sharing them kind of kills the hobby just the same.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 12:43 am

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire
You guys talking about actual deals or taking advantage of mistakes?
Old Oct 23, 2016, 1:05 am

I don't believe in mistakes, they are all flash sales.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 11:48 am

Originally Posted by Lennys26v2
The whole 'post or dont post' battle goes on and on - and both sides have merit.

As a newer member to the community, I am still learning how to find and tweak the deals that I can. Without the base-line of people sharing thoughts, ideas and deals, I have no chance of learning or participating.

Getting into the private groups is elusive ...and if I cant post anything, how can I be seen (thus be invited)?

I fully get the idea that simply by sharing the deals we run the risk of them getting closed, but at the same time NOT sharing them kind of kills the hobby just the same.
This is exactly where I am. I have been a longtime lurker trying to absorb all I can from the folks who post on here, and only recently have I been in a position to both take advantage of some of the deals and post what appeared to be were good deals that I found. It's disheartening to realize there are many deals out there not being posted by private groups because, by doing so, they will ruin the deal. I understand why these groups exist and realize that it's going to take a while before I'm invited to join any, if ever. I just want to put it out there that those of us in the relative-new ranks appreciate the deals and advice posted here on FT. Your information has been invaluable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.