Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

DL: Atlanta mileage run routes?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2016, 6:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta

Hello community - my first post here. I just started looking into the mileage run phenomena ~2 months ago with my new job now sending me out quite a bit.

I was wondering what typical (domestic) mileage run routes look like out of Atlanta for those of you flying Delta. My context is father of a newborn and toddler and trying to avoid overnights because I want to limit time away from the family. So I want my cake and eat it too.

Also, I'm happy spending 5cpm for first class than fly 15 hours in coach for 3cpm.

I've booked 4 mileage runs so far I found lucrative:
ATL-MSP-IAH-MSP-ATL: 5820 mqm / $320 (~5cpm) x3
ATL-CIN-DFW-SLC-ATL: 5833 mqm / $350

all in first class. These flights leave about 8am and return 10 or 11pm same day. 4 days ~23,300 mqm ~$1300 all first class.

Been playing with other dates / times, etc... can't quite find the right routes to come out better than these. Any other Atlanta Delta flyers have typical route / segments they look for?

I'd really appreciate any advice and thank you for your time
- Johnathan
Old Sep 18, 2016, 7:02 pm

Programs: BA, Aeroflot Bonus, Miles&Smiles, Hilton Honours
You are really stuck with wanting to return before 9 pm. It would be cheaper to take your wife and kid on a weekend trip to Asia or something and collect a tonne of miles for the 3 of you in to a BA family account or other airline equivalents. Also you could make your child lifetime Platinum before he/she is 18 lol
Old Sep 18, 2016, 8:13 pm
Original Poster

thanks for the response, I really appreciate it - and that's not a bad idea if I can get my wife on board. Though thinking selfishly - my wife would never travel outside of this so then for me to gain the miles would then be 3x the cost (3 tickets for my miles).

I saw an interesting route that might be an option in time but was off by 20 minutes:
ATL-SLC-DFW-SLC-ATL: ~10,400 mqm's (first class)

not currently an option and would require either the flight out or return be offset by 20 mins to work same day - but something to keep an eye out for in the future.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 10:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
What are you hoping or expecting to get from status on DL? FO at 25,000 MQMs and $3000 MQDs isn't worth much in actual benefits.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 1:02 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
What are you hoping or expecting to get from status on DL? FO at 25,000 MQMs and $3000 MQDs isn't worth much in actual benefits.
Agreed. MRing 23K+, even in domestic F, is a lot to cross any status level. Why not look into achieving status early next year, especially if your new job is sending you out a lot?
Old Sep 20, 2016, 8:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
So I just started traveling about 3 months ago and have 20k so I want to add enough to be Gold next year or throw in another 3 MRs and get the Delta Reserve signup of 10k and hit platinum by 12/31 for plat status all next year.

Next year with 30k mqm's from the Delta Reserve or 40k if I do not use the signup bonus this year plus 30-40k through regular travel - I am just looking at obtaining and maintaining plat status. Not sure I will every fly enough for Diamond.

Now, that out of the way, I am very new to this and only know a fraction of what you all do here so far. I was interested when those of you on here (from Atlanta) have a spare day or two if there are typical routes you check on for high mqm for the cost. It's really just my circumstance. I can take a day away from the fam for a 7/8am flight and return 11pm but I don't feel good taking off for Asia for 4-6 days you know? I'm not the ideal MR'er for sure but I think with the few same day flights I've found I think for 4-6 days a year added to normal travel and the delta reserve card I can easily maintain plat every year - which is my goal.

Thanks for all the help and feedback, really do appreciate it.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 2:48 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
Originally Posted by delta_newb
thanks for the response, I really appreciate it - and that's not a bad idea if I can get my wife on board. Though thinking selfishly - my wife would never travel outside of this so then for me to gain the miles would then be 3x the cost (3 tickets for my miles).

I saw an interesting route that might be an option in time but was off by 20 minutes:

not currently an option and would require either the flight out or return be offset by 20 mins to work same day - but something to keep an eye out for in the future.
Hey, I'm sort of in the same boat, but I don't *have* to be back the same day. I'm trying to book either the ATL to DFW or to IAH, in either case via SLC. When did you most recently see the above, and do you mean "off by 20 min" in that you would get home too late?
Old Sep 23, 2016, 7:22 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Note this is only ~10K MQMs in full fare F, which is probably not worth the cost. In discounted F it's only 7732.

Originally Posted by CrazyEddie
Hey, I'm sort of in the same boat, but I don't *have* to be back the same day. I'm trying to book either the ATL to DFW or to IAH, in either case via SLC. When did you most recently see the above, and do you mean "off by 20 min" in that you would get home too late?
The above 7732 MQM itinerary is currently available ATL-SLC-DFW on 10/3 arriving just after midnight and returning DFW-SLC-ATL in the afternoon on 10/4 for $530.

$194 in coach 5154 MQMs 10/27-10/28, 11/2-3, and 11/3-4.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 7:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Zorak
Note this is only ~10K MQMs in full fare F, which is probably not worth the cost. In discounted F it's only 7732.
Yes, you're right. I rechecked, it was F fare, not worth it. P fare is 150% is the ~7700.

When I said off by 20 minutes meaning same day round trip to be bookable - so same day is not yet possible, 2 day works fine as Zorak mentions.

But - If you're willing to do 2 days you can do alot better than 7800. My point for this post is to find the highest yielding same day mqm routes I can manage. If I have one day, I'm netting the best route I can. If I have 2 days, I'll fly that route twice, etc...
Old Sep 23, 2016, 7:57 pm

The above 7732 MQM itinerary is currently available ATL-SLC-DFW on 10/3 arriving just after midnight and returning DFW-SLC-ATL in the afternoon on 10/4 for $530.

$194 in coach 5154 MQMs 10/27-10/28, 11/2-3, and 11/3-4.
Zorak - how are you seeing these? I tried 10/27-28 via Kayak and got the priced quoted as $481. When I went to DL's site, I got all the way to the "complete purchase" and then got the message about the flight being too popular, etc. Does that mean that the fares are no longer valid?

If there is a better result with an overnight stay (I know that IAH instead of DFW give a slightly better result), I'm more than willing to go another route....
Old Sep 23, 2016, 8:03 pm

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Zorak - how are you seeing these
Originally via ITA Matrix but duplicated directly at delta.com. I didn't try to complete booking though. If you can find the flights initially but the price goes up at final checkout you could always try calling in and see if they'll honor the original fare; there's no longer a phone booking fee.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 8:22 pm

Originally via ITA Matrix but duplicated directly at delta.com. I didn't try to complete booking though. If you can find the flights initially but the price goes up at final checkout you could always try calling in and see if they'll honor the original fare; there's no longer a phone booking fee.
Thanks. I will try that tomorrow - probably with the IAH route. Do I just need the booking codes provided via Kayak?
Old Sep 23, 2016, 8:34 pm

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
Hello community - my first post here. I just started looking into the mileage run phenomena ~2 months ago with my new job now sending me out quite a bit.

I was wondering what typical (domestic) mileage run routes look like out of Atlanta for those of you flying Delta. My context is father of a newborn and toddler and trying to avoid overnights because I want to limit time away from the family. So I want my cake and eat it too.

Also, I'm happy spending 5cpm for first class than fly 15 hours in coach for 3cpm.

I've booked 4 mileage runs so far I found lucrative:
ATL-MSP-IAH-MSP-ATL: 5820 mqm / $320 (~5cpm) x3
ATL-CIN-DFW-SLC-ATL: 5833 mqm / $350

all in first class. These flights leave about 8am and return 10 or 11pm same day. 4 days ~23,300 mqm ~$1300 all first class.

Been playing with other dates / times, etc... can't quite find the right routes to come out better than these. Any other Atlanta Delta flyers have typical route / segments they look for?

I'd really appreciate any advice and thank you for your time
- Johnathan
5cpm in first class, for reference, would be something close to a mistake fare. 8cpm in first class would be a very good fare, and 10 is more plausible.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 11:00 pm

Thanks. I will try that tomorrow - probably with the IAH route. Do I just need the booking codes provided via Kayak?
In the easiest case you just need to feed them the flight numbers; having the fare basis code handy can't hurt.

The ITA userscript also works really well for going directly from an ITA search result to booking with DL.
Old Sep 24, 2016, 9:04 am

In the easiest case you just need to feed them the flight numbers; having the fare basis code handy can't hurt.

The ITA userscript also works really well for going directly from an ITA search result to booking with DL.
No dice. The fare codes didn't help, as the DL rep said that he can't do anything unless the particular flights are shown as options. He entered them in manually, but gave me the $2300+ fare total. Having the same problem with ATL-IAH-SLC RT and ATL-DFW-SLC RT. Maybe the ATL-IAH-SLC-ATL same day is still available....

Thanks for your help!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.