Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

LX/MM: Need a quick 30k MR (<8.5cpm) in Sep/Oct

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2016, 4:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: LX HON

Anyone has a good idea how I could get a roughly 30+k MR (<8.5cpm acceptable on short run) to complete the SEN status with LX/MM, flying as few legs as possible out of Europe, preferably ZRH and at least business? Willing to use some 30+k miles for upgrades into next class.

Tried g/flights, kayak, hipmunk, etc... to no avail. flightfox does not offer anymore the option to tell them a story and they find the best flights for you.

Travel dates: 18/9 - 21/9 (this week), cw42, cw44, preferably Thursdays to Mondays. Have multiple passports, so destination is almost irrelevant with regard to visa. Carry-on is sufficient if RTT <= four days.

Background: started with MM again after many years of Sky and AA due to relocation this February. Got 80 s-haul legs so far for work, 55%/45% eco/business ratio, so clearly missing status miles. Will probably do another 15-20 s-haul legs this year with same ratio, so from that I probably get another 10-15k miles, which would leave me with roughly 30k to go. Never went from zilch to Gold with almost exclusively s-haul, so challenge is on.
Old Sep 13, 2016, 4:25 pm

Programs: LH Sen, AA Platinum (Pro?), UA Silver - SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, HHonors Gold
BTW - you need 100k status miles...

http://www.miles-and-more.com/online...d=2547184&l=en

Might make your life easier.
Old Sep 13, 2016, 4:57 pm
Original Poster

Maybe my request was not clear: I will already have 60k by the end of this week, will certainly get another 15k from s-hauls this year and opt to ingress the remaining 25k to 30k through a l-haul business/first flight of two-four legs.
Old Sep 14, 2016, 4:03 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus Delta SkyMiles
I booked on EgyptAir to Bangkok for 1100 EUR return in Biz... there was more availability - see if something works for you.

It was 23K miles r.t. could doctor it up a bit with a flight to Male or something...
Old Sep 14, 2016, 10:00 am

Programs: UA MP - 1K
CAI-DXB-SIN-NRT/HND on SQ biz

How about doing CAI-DXB-SIN-NRT/HND on SQ biz?

Easy to position to CAI via Swiss. Fare books into D class, earns 1.5 for a total of approx. EQM 25k. Cost about USD 1800-1900, depending on the week of travel, so between 7.1 to 7.5 cpm not including the ZRH-CAI segments.

Together with the two ZRH-CAI segments you would hit the desired amount of EQM.
That's about the only route I can come up with were you could hit your EQM goal in one shot.

For more options you could fly Turkish biz class (J fare), should be plenty of route options available from VNO or CAI (BKK for example), but you wouldn't get the EQM in one trip though.
Old Sep 15, 2016, 8:54 am
Original Poster

tnkngn: brilliant suggestion, thanks! Positioning to CAI is actually trickier/more expensive than I thought it would be.

I'll do ZRH->CAI->ZRH->SIN->ZRH-CAI->ZRH on a 54hrs MR with LX instead of SQ (due to HON miles) on roughly 8.5cpm for 25EQM in cw42 thanks to your suggestion. First and last legs are eco E/H, rest is biz C/D on LX. Got 12 legs totalling 15k EQM coming up in the next two weeks, which then settles the score for LX/MM SEN by the end of October.
Old Sep 16, 2016, 6:27 am

Programs: UA MP - 1K
Originally Posted by moreaki
tnkngn: brilliant suggestion, thanks! Positioning to CAI is actually trickier/more expensive than I thought it would be.

I'll do ZRH->CAI->ZRH->SIN->ZRH-CAI->ZRH on a 54hrs MR with LX instead of SQ (due to HON miles) on roughly 8.5cpm for 25EQM in cw42 thanks to your suggestion. First and last legs are eco E/H, rest is biz C/D on LX. Got 12 legs totalling 15k EQM coming up in the next two weeks, which then settles the score for LX/MM SEN by the end of October.
Great to hear I was able to help out!

Actually, I had already typed the post about taking the LX flight from CAI to SIN/BKK/HKG when I realized it would only earn 1.0x for P fare, compared to 1.5 x EQM for SQ. That's when I changed the post.

Any chance you are on the new Boeing 777 on one of the ZRH-SIN-ZRH legs?

Been looking at doing this trip myself to max. out EQM on my frequent trips from Germany to Singapore, but as you suggested, positioning to CAI isn't the easiest and cannot really be done cheaply.
Will do it at some point in the future with an Egypt stopover, as I haven't seen Cairo or the Pyramids yet.
Old Sep 16, 2016, 8:43 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus Delta SkyMiles
Originally Posted by tnkngn

Actually, I had already typed the post about taking the LX flight from CAI to SIN/BKK/HKG when I realized it would only earn 1.0x for P fare, compared to 1.5 x EQM for SQ. That's when I changed the post.

Been looking at doing this trip myself to max. out EQM on my frequent trips from Germany to Singapore, but as you suggested, positioning to CAI isn't the easiest and cannot really be done with an Egypt stopover, as I haven't seen Cairo or the Pyramids yet.
The fare I got was 1,100 EUR AMS-CAI-BKK-CAI-AMS in Biz, then added on a flight from Thai to Phuket - only prob is, Egypt Air Biz only credits 100% and that gives you a total of 25K miles. I wasn't doing a MR, but am going an a proper hol-i-day with the fam to scuba dive...
Old Oct 23, 2016, 3:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tnkngn

Been looking at doing this trip myself to max. out EQM on my frequent trips from Germany to Singapore, but as you suggested, positioning to CAI isn't the easiest and cannot really be done cheaply.
Will do it at some point in the future with an Egypt stopover, as I haven't seen Cairo or the Pyramids yet.
Finally did the MR, and since it was on a Friday, I did get to enjoy the new 777-300ER. Here's the summary: http://pasteboard.co/1R02v1Apw.png. Slept twice for 8 hrs straight. LX's 777-300ER is top-notch in quality and service, no need to book F anymore.

Upgrade bidding offers ahead of the actual flight by Swiss are a joke, since they offset the base price to at least 5-50 times the cpm of the booked fare (base offset of 2700$ for D -> F upgrade is ridiculous); not sure why people would pay for such an upgrade. For my last leg, I went to transfer in terminal E and got the agent to call the central booking office to override an F-type fare upgrade (class E -> Z) from waiting to confirmed for 12cpm on CAIZRH. Unfortunately, since early 2016 Zurich airport received new booking systems, which do not allow the old routing tricks anymore on-site.

Last but not least, due to my work related very frequent flying this year, I wouldn't even have needed the MR. Started with 0M in February and after 140 short-hauls and probably 15-20 more remaining this year, I would have had enough miles for the SEN status.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 3:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HeidiInTheAlps
The fare I got was 1,100 EUR AMS-CAI-BKK-CAI-AMS in Biz, then added on a flight from Thai to Phuket - only prob is, Egypt Air Biz only credits 100% and that gives you a total of 25K miles. I wasn't doing a MR, but am going an a proper hol-i-day with the fam to scuba dive...
Sweet, enjoy your trip! The good thing about the LX ZRH-CAI-ZRH combination is the brief 35min layover. Just enough to have a quick walk to the lounge for a coffee and Egyptian cookies.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.