Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

Hainan is Back: cheap J LAX-CSX

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hainan is Back: cheap J LAX-CSX

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2017, 8:24 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glb, MR Plat
Originally Posted by whimike
Why resurrect this old thread with an OT post? I thought this fare had come back again.
It's still available.
Old Feb 9, 2017, 12:40 am

Programs: AS MVP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Edgerfly
I wouldn't recommend the city to anyone, Chinese or otherwise. Sorry if you read into that as a race comment, it was out of humor. It's a dreary place, not very good food, very bad English, and nothing of importance to view or see. Mind you I've traveled the world and been to every continent, so it's not like I'm just saying this with no experience. I was kind of making a joke with the white guy comment, as you're likely to see maybe one other one white in Changsha if you go. Us Gwai Lo's are a minority in Changsha.
I am pretty sure you missed most part of the city and surroundings because you don't understand the language. Changsha is the capital of Hunan, which is famous for its hot and spicy cuisine (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hunan_cuisine). Mao's braised pork belly (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hongshao_rou), which is Mao Zedong's favorite dish, is also from there. Even if you don't enjoy the museums or Mao's statues, which I suppose you can't understand much if you don't know the language, the Wulingyuan (or Zhangjiajie) National park is just a few hours away by train (or fly in a MA60, like I did last year). The park is a natural world heritage site and well developed with many hotels around. And the scene is gorgeous especially in April. You can wrap it in a weekend easily.
Old Feb 9, 2017, 1:03 pm

Programs: AS 100K, DL DM 1MM, UA 1MM
Originally Posted by zig2
I am pretty sure you missed most part of the city and surroundings because you don't understand the language. Changsha is the capital of Hunan, which is famous for its hot and spicy cuisine (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hunan_cuisine). Mao's braised pork belly (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hongshao_rou), which is Mao Zedong's favorite dish, is also from there. Even if you don't enjoy the museums or Mao's statues, which I suppose you can't understand much if you don't know the language, the Wulingyuan (or Zhangjiajie) National park is just a few hours away by train (or fly in a MA60, like I did last year). The park is a natural world heritage site and well developed with many hotels around. And the scene is gorgeous especially in April. You can wrap it in a weekend easily.
So Zig, what do you suggest for someone who does not speak the language but still wants to visit Changsha? I have read that there is some English spoken at a couple of the hotels but not many other places.

Is hiring a guide/interpreter a option? That worked for us in a couple of places where there were many things to see and a formidable language barrier.
Old Feb 9, 2017, 5:33 pm

Location: AC Million Miler & long time SE; StarwoodPlat for 10+ yrs & lifetime Gold; Hilton Honours Diamond; IC Ambassador; AMEX Plat;Avis Presidents Club; Airmiles GOLD; and just about everything else!
Programs: aeroplan & 25+year loyalty
changsha is a great city and it is a city on the move. I have visited it several times and recommend it as being in a bit of a different area in China with not too many western visitors. I cannot remember the hotel I stayed in but it was a good experience there. I cannot believe Hannan is offering a non stop to there from LAX but this is good news.
Old Feb 9, 2017, 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by bobblevins
So Zig, what do you suggest for someone who does not speak the language but still wants to visit Changsha? I have read that there is some English spoken at a couple of the hotels but not many other places.

Is hiring a guide/interpreter a option? That worked for us in a couple of places where there were many things to see and a formidable language barrier.
There are two factors here. One is how much time you can spend for preparing. I've been to places that I don't understand the language but got through. Of course I prepared well such like printing out wikitravel, the map, lonely planet, and find out the train/flight schedules before hand. The other is how much you enjoy it. There will definitely be problems caused by miscommunication. So if you don't enjoy solving them, that's not a good option for you.

In my own opinion, having a guide in the city that can explain the history to you will make your experience better. However if you have the time to prepare well with the maps and books with you, it is not absolute necessary. As you can always use your translation software and books inside the city, transport by taxi and subway. If you want to get out of the city to see things around, having someone to help you with the logistic is much easier for you, especially if you have never travelled alone in China. Unfortunately I don't know anyone who is doing this. But I guess you can always contact the hotel you are going to stay for suggestions?
Old Feb 9, 2017, 9:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, Starwood Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by bobblevins

I kind of speak Chinese, but I still like to hire a hot guide/interpreter when I travel in China.
Old Feb 10, 2017, 12:06 pm

Programs: KF,JMB, OZ, SPG,AA,UA,AS
the Wulingyuan (or Zhangjiajie) National park is just a few hours away by train (or fly in a MA60, like I did last year). The park is a natural world heritage site and well developed with many hotels around. And the scene is gorgeous especially in April. You can wrap it in a weekend easily.
I totally agree. I really enjoyed my visit to Zhangjiajie. If someone is taking advantage of this fare doesn't know what to do in Hunan, this would be at the top of my list.
Old Feb 10, 2017, 3:58 pm

Programs: Alaska
Originally Posted by gpeso8
I totally agree. I really enjoyed my visit to Zhangjiajie. If someone is taking advantage of this fare doesn't know what to do in Hunan, this would be at the top of my list.
I took advantage of this fare, and I'm planning to do the Zhangjiajie trip! But I'm curious: is the five-hour train ride to Zhangjiajie a scenic/interesting route, or should I just fly there from Changsha? What are Chinese trains like?
Old Feb 10, 2017, 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by Khaleesi
I took advantage of this fare, and I'm planning to do the Zhangjiajie trip! But I'm curious: is the five-hour train ride to Zhangjiajie a scenic/interesting route, or should I just fly there from Changsha? What are Chinese trains like?
I wouldn't say it is scenic. This is still an old style slow train. I would recommend to buy a ticket for the sleeper car. The plane is also a good choice since it is not much more expensive. However you still need an hour's ride from the city of Zhangjiajie to the national park. There is a Crowne Plaza and a Novotel near the national park, as I remember. There is also another Tianmenshan Mountain a few kilometers opposite the airport, though you may not have time for that if you want to experience the national park.
Old Feb 11, 2017, 3:40 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPGold75K, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Pan Am million-miler
Yes, thank you for proving my point.

All of that sounds very nice, and fun. The problem is if you don't speak a lick of mandarin or Cantonese you're screwed. I've had enough trouble ordering room service here at the Sheraton where I'm at now!

On my first mileage run here (Changsha) I stayed at the Ramada East, and not a single employee spoke English. I was running around the property with my translation app just so I could forrage for food. Leaving the property would have left me with no internet and no way to communicate with anyone.

I'm not assuming, or saying anyone (or I) should expect English in China. But if you're not a Cantonese or Mandarin speaker you're going to have a difficult time in this city getting around, outside of Western hotels and the airport. It's just a fact.

For those who are doing this run solely for the miles and do not speak Mandarin or Cantonese (like me), I definitely recommend the Sheraton. I've done this run 3x and it has by far been the nicest rooms, and most western friendly hotel thus far. Though the rooms at Ramada East were nicer with breakfast included, but no employees spoke English and it's in an isolated part of town. Hotels located downtown, you have the best chance of interacting with people who do speak English.

Last edited by Edgerfly; Feb 11, 2017 at 3:47 am
Old Feb 11, 2017, 4:00 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 100,000miler
I have been to Chengsha several times. True it is an unremarkable city but it is very truly Chinese in every sense. Great food, good museums, great features, and you will truly feel like a visitor here rather than in PEK or PVG.

It is remarkable that Hainan offers service to this city and I have flown on Hainan in J class and can only say how great the service was. Pajamas included.

My only complaint is they are not good at giving you further instructions on the benefits of your flight. I booked to go YYZ to Xie and they never told me I was to have a free night at a hotel in PEK, namely a 5 star one. I had previously booked the Hilton and had to stick with it as it was a non refundable rate. Wish they had told me in advance which they did not.

Otherwise great airline. Highly recommended.

could you expound on this? Does HU have a free hotel over-night policy for J passengers?
Old Feb 11, 2017, 12:25 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

We've received a few RBPs asking that the thread be moved to the discussion forum. I am aware that this fare is still intermittently available, but given that recent discussion has exclusively been of Changsha, I will move the thread. If the fare becomes red-hot available again, we will happily move the thread back to the deals forum.

--jpdx, MR Moderator

To contribute to the subject of recent discussion, I traveled to CSX a few times in 2014 and 2015 to pick up a very well-priced NH fare. Stayed at the Sheraton, which is a 30km taxi ride from the airport (took 35 min to get there without traffic, and just under 1hr to get back to CSX in morning rush hour, about 75CNY, plus CNY10 in tolls, IIRC). The hotel is entirely unexciting -– if you’re used to domestic (US) hotels, you’ll be pleasantly surprised, but by Asian standards, it’s below par. Club lounge with good evening snacks (3 hot items, selection of cold cuts, seafood/sushi, fruit/dessert, drinks) and basic breakfast (cold cuts, hard boiled eggs, bacon, dim sum, fruit, breads/pastries). Changsha (the city) didn't seem super exciting, and I agree that it's somewhat challenging to get around with English. I had some great and tasty food, but also made some really bad calls -- I remember ordering the "river shrimp" late one night at the Sheraton and receiving a bowl of a few hundred ant-sized shrimp.
Old Feb 11, 2017, 2:39 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

I don't think this thread should be moved. The fare is still available and for those who do take advantage of it, they'll want to know this information because of how obscure the destination is. I know this would have helped me.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 8:47 am

Programs: AS 100k, BA GGL, UA 1k, DL DM, AC SE, B6 Mosaic4, Hyatt/Hilton/Wyndham/IHG Diamond, Marriot Ti
I don't think this thread should be moved. The fare is still available and for those who do take advantage of it, they'll want to know this information because of how obscure the destination is. I know this would have helped me.
i'm interested in visiting changsha. been playing with ita and can't see anything under $2200 for the next few months.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 9:39 am

Programs: UA AA DL BA Marriott Hilton SPG
Wink Hainan Airlines, no mileage credit / No alliance

Cheap J fares on Hainan 787 service LAX-CSX flight for $1760, though not as good as the $1300 flights they were offering earlier this year. It's a great flight, with terrific catering out of LAX and terrific service. Nonetheless still a great price, especially if you're trying to qualify for AS status. I see deals leaving on the Thursday flight, returning on the Monday flight, so you're not in Changsha too long.

I stayed at the crowne plaza and the ramada Changsha east. The crowne plaza is definitely the best for English speakers, being in the downtown area with English speaking staff, and English TV. But the rooms are a bit shabby. The ramada had the nicest rooms (stunning actually), and breakfast was included. But there were two TV channels in English, and none of the staff spoke English.
Downside to Hainan Airlines is that miles don't credit to any major US Airlines alliance. (Not Skyteam, Star or OW). Maybe someday.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.