Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

How do people respond when you do a mileage run?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How do people respond when you do a mileage run?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2015, 2:48 pm

Programs: Star Alliance
The Day in the Life of a MR

Just gotta love MRs. One of my favs from long ago was the run from LAX to LHR. After arriving early mornings at Heathrow.., jumped on the tube to Piccadilly Circus.., strolled over to Big Ben..., synchronized my watch to precisely 12 Noon (GMT)..., jumped back on the tube to LHR - and flew back to LAX.

Most outside of this site will constantly view this as eccentric. However, the majority of regulars here live for this!
Old Nov 24, 2015, 11:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
I remember the CPT deal on KL a few years ago and a few people playing it as an MR turn. Explaining something where you go THAT far and just turn around is hard, even if you're super-busy with work and can't make a trip out of it (I did for about a week and was really glad).

I went 17 or so years at gold or higher on my own dime always "making a trip of it", even if it was only for 2-3 days. Finally broke down and did a pure BNA-ATL-RDU-ATL-BNA RT MR at $129 on DL (nested within a 3-day BNA drive trip) because DL had 5000-mile bonuses you could register for in both RDU and BNA, so the trip earned some 12K or so RDMs, plus, if memory serves, the bonuses counted toward status (not the kind of offer you get now).

I'd have an easier time explaining the BNA-RDU trip vs. an MR to CPT.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 7:13 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by JetStreamDrifter
Just gotta love MRs. One of my favs from long ago was the run from LAX to LHR. After arriving early mornings at Heathrow.., jumped on the tube to Piccadilly Circus.., strolled over to Big Ben..., synchronized my watch to precisely 12 Noon (GMT)..., jumped back on the tube to LHR - and flew back to LAX.

Most outside of this site will constantly view this as eccentric. However, the majority of regulars here live for this!
here here...

I've flown a few times to HKG just for the great cathay lounge food.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 7:16 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jrl767
I totally doubt that any regular/serious MR-ers would be embarrassed by either of these
correct. Some crew find it funny, most just respect your dedication to "bending" the rules.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by RustyC
... Finally broke down and did a pure BNA-ATL-RDU-ATL-BNA RT MR at $129 ... because DL had 5000-mile bonuses you could register for in both RDU and BNA, so the trip earned some 12K or so RDMs, plus, if memory serves, the bonuses counted toward status (not the kind of offer you get now). ...
yeah, late 2010; double RDM and MQM for any trips originating or terminating RDU/BNA/PIT ... I made Platinum courtesy of that promo, but it took some creative nesting of trips to make it work
Old Nov 27, 2015, 11:01 am

Programs: UA -1MM, SPG - Lifetime Gold
Most friends, family or co-workers don't get it at first. But by giving them examples of the benefits (surprising my mother-in-law with a free trip in F to Hawaii for her 60th last year, business class trips for me and my partner to Rio, Beijing, and Sydney within the last couple of years), it starts to make a little more sense.

I don't travel for work, so all my flying is leisure. I have been doing a LOT of MRs for the last three years. Just last month I made 1MM on United.

Today I'm going on my last-ever MR - flying to Hawaii for a few hours and back in order to qualify for 1K next year.

I'm actually looking forward to flying less next year, but looking forward to the upgrades we will use on a couple of international trips.

It's been a fun ride...
Old Nov 27, 2015, 9:00 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Most FAs are used to it.

Friends, family, office co-workers know I do it, and they know as a result, that I am traveling in premium cabins (F and J) for my international trips (for free). Maybe not for them, but they ask me for travel advise/finding best fares for normal trips.
Old Nov 29, 2015, 6:05 am

I'm in the middle of my first MR. Currently in SIN, flying back to JFK from CGK on Tuesday. Got in on the AA Fast Track, when i checked in at JFK, I asked if there were any aisle row seats empty from upgrades. The excellent JAL agent not only switched me for both flights, but the new boarding passes were "Y fare" instead of the original "N". Made Platinum already! Hopefully, I'll be EXP when I finish. My family just rolls their eyes, my employees think I'm nuts. I assure you, my wife is not complaining, our last trip was "F class" on Thai A380, she told me to go ahead and book something else if needed to be sure to get in on EXP before the promotion ends.
Old Nov 29, 2015, 7:17 am

Whenever I have an upcoming flight folks at work ask, "Going to PDX for dinner again?". I live in NC and was going to FL to see mom for a few days so I went via PDX. One of the FAs on the way out, after finding out I was only in PDX for 12 hours, asked if I was "One of those miles peoples" to which I replied "Yes!".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.