Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

UA - Need 17K-20K from DEN (Thank you!)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2015, 11:46 pm
Original Poster

Hi all,

This is my first FlyerTalk post though I've been poking around the forums for years. I'm a long time business traveler who has recently taken a job where I no longer travel internationally and have some cost controls on what airlines I can fly on certain domestic routes. Thus, I come to November 13th barely over the hump to UA Gold. I thought I would be content with that, but looking at the amount of both work and personal travel I have coming up in 2016, I am itching to do my first mileage run to qualify for UA Platinum (mainly I love the flexibility of being able to change flights same day and cancel award bookings).

It would be fantastic if anyone more versed in the world of mileage runs would kindly help me identify some possibilities. I'll need between 17k-20k miles by the end of the year (range depends on some last minute work travel) and would need to originate from DEN.

Weekend or mostly weekend runs would be preferable, but I know that won't necessarily be easy or possible with this few weeks left in the year.

Thank you so much!!

Ariel,
Old Nov 16, 2015, 11:22 am

Programs: Hilton credit card Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
COS-DEN-IAD-KWI-IAD-DEN-COS is 17574 miles with 500 mile minimum, out 12/5 return 12/6 for $1019. Same thing from DEN is $1063 and 1000 miles less. Other days available at similar price.
Old Nov 17, 2015, 9:33 am

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by arielaffinity
I am itching to do my first mileage run to qualify for UA Platinum (mainly I love the flexibility of being able to change flights same day and cancel award bookings).
Not to discourage you but you get no fee SDC as a Gold. Award re-deposits do cost though.
Old Nov 17, 2015, 9:54 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
I am itching to do my first mileage run to qualify for UA Platinum
Do it! ^

There are some good fares to PEK right now that will take a big bite out of what you need. DEN-IAD/EWR-PEK-EWR/IAD-DEN. Almost 17Kmi for 4.3cpm
Old Nov 20, 2015, 9:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mrswirl
Not to discourage you but you get no fee SDC as a Gold. Award re-deposits do cost though.
You know I think it used to just be Plat and above that got the same day change for free (or I'm crazy). I just assumed that was still the case, so thanks much for pointing that out to me. Redepositing of award tickets isn't worth the flying 17,000 miles and paying >$1k for it particularly given getting upgrades out of DEN not being a 1k is a pretty big crap shoot. I'll save that time and money for 2016.

Thanks again!
Old Nov 25, 2015, 12:01 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold
You know I think it used to just be Plat and above that got the same day change for free (or I'm crazy). I just assumed that was still the case, so thanks much for pointing that out to me. Redepositing of award tickets isn't worth the flying 17,000 miles and paying >$1k for it particularly given getting upgrades out of DEN not being a 1k is a pretty big crap shoot. I'll save that time and money for 2016.

Thanks again!
There was a brief period they tried to charge $50 for SDC to Golds but that didn't last long.

Honestly, I see absolutely no value in Plat other than a few unusable RPUs and Group 1 boarding. Having been 1K for many years and seeing CPU percentages drop to nothing I am now fully content with just Gold.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.