Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

Best way to search for mileage runs?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2015, 2:57 pm
Original Poster

Obviously there's a ton here already about status, buying miles, etc. I have a very specific question I haven't found, though: what's the best way to search for pure PQM runs (obviously I'm looking for a specific number of miles at the minimum cost)?

I'm in a situation where I easily qualify for the next level of PQD but I'm about 20k PQM short (also 30 segments short, so I figure that method is probably out for me).

It would be great if there was a simple way to plug in a home airport and see a calendar of flights sorted by cost-per-mile-earned. I'm guessing that's a pipe dream, but I'm calling it out here juuuuuust in case there's something close.

I have two more round trips scheduled so I could just buy 20k of PQM, but that's ($230 + $900 / 10k; aka $0.113CPM). That means it would cost me $2,260 to hit the required PQM this year for my next level. This calculation gives an upper limit for price on a flight that could get me the necessary miles. I'm not actually interested in a vacation, but I'm willing to take a day for a mileage run, assuming savings are worth it (remember just spending $2260 costs me zero time, so I better save like 50% of that if I have to spend a day traveling). I'm expecting quite a bit of travel next year and the difference between my current level and the next one is worth figuring this out.

Links to other threads are much appreciated, of course!
Old Nov 1, 2015, 3:14 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
What's your home airport?

How far afield are you open to traveling: other continents? Central America? Dubai? Singapore?
Old Nov 1, 2015, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
20k miles cannot easily be flown in one day. Realistically you need to devote 3-4 days for that number. Your best bet will probably be two short connections in the US, and then a long haul, and vice versa. That could net 13k. Then perhaps a transcon with some connections. But it will be uncomfortable unless you can use some GPUs, and exhausting.
Old Nov 1, 2015, 3:19 pm

Programs: UA *G 1MM LT United Club & Global Entry
https://www.google.com/flights/

SunLover
Old Nov 1, 2015, 4:54 pm
sb3

Programs: UA-1K
Originally Posted by bruinflyer

Links to other threads are much appreciated, of course!
You can start with the mileage run deals here on FT:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mileage-run-deals-372/

While not always qualifying for a MR rate, you can often find a xxx-GUM-xxx turn for a decent fare, depending upon your home airport. It is a 2-day trip, out and back.

Last edited by sb3; Nov 1, 2015 at 4:54 pm Reason: fix typo
Old Nov 1, 2015, 4:54 pm

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by SunLover

+1
under the dates you will see a drop-down menu "Airline" -- you can select Star Alliance. Makes it so handy to search routings that will earn PQM...
Old Nov 1, 2015, 6:04 pm

Programs: 1K
http://matrix.itasoftware.com/
Old Nov 1, 2015, 8:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by hookthem
That also works better with the cpm add on. And a LOT of advice as to how matrix works.
Old Nov 1, 2015, 10:26 pm
Original Poster

I'm definitely open to multiple continents. I also agree 20k miles is tough in one day; I'm willing to spend a few days if that makes it work and if it comes down to it I might try to buy an upgradable fare and use miles to make it biz class. Is ITA/Matrix search really the best?
Old Nov 1, 2015, 11:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bruinflyer
I'm definitely open to multiple continents. I also agree 20k miles is tough in one day; I'm willing to spend a few days if that makes it work and if it comes down to it I might try to buy an upgradable fare and use miles to make it biz class. Is ITA/Matrix search really the best?

Dude, aircraft only fly at around 500 miles/hour. Unless you plan on personally bringing back the Concorde, it's not just "tough", it's physically impossible to fly 20K miles in one day.
Old Nov 2, 2015, 12:32 am

Programs: UA 1K HH Diamond
The only way you're getting 20k miles in one day is if you're flying an f-35 and are being refueled while in the air.
Old Nov 2, 2015, 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by rolltribe
The only way you're getting 20k miles in one day is if you're flying an f-35 and are being refueled while in the air.
LMAO!
Old Nov 3, 2015, 2:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K HH Diamond
Originally Posted by FlyWell2009
LMAO!
$32k/ flight hour to operate an f-35. 1200mph. Comes out to ~2,600cpm for 20k miles.
Old Nov 3, 2015, 6:29 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by rolltribe
HA ^......or fly 10K in a premium cabin with a EQM bonus

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.