Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

MR to PEK next week: Question

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2015, 4:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan & AA Advantage

Hi, I have an MR scheduled from YYZ-PEK from March 27-March 29. My question is in regards to the 72 hour transit visa. It says that I must have a ticketed seat to a third country with a visa in order to utilize the transit visa. My ticketed seat is back to YYZ via ORD. Does that count as the third country? Just want to make sure I can explore PEK for half a day. If not, then looks like I am camping it in the airport
Old Mar 22, 2015, 4:26 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
Need a visa if you want to leave the airport.
Old Mar 22, 2015, 4:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jimgotkp
Need a visa if you want to leave the airport.

Looks like I'm camping it overnight at the airport! 14 hours, so it's not that bad.
Old Mar 22, 2015, 4:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Would OP even be allowed to board the plane in YYZ?

If not, is it too late for them to go to the Consulate in Toronto to get urgent Visa? http://www.visaforchina.org/YTO_EN/

Last edited by CDKing; Mar 22, 2015 at 4:52 pm
Old Mar 22, 2015, 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by CDKing
Would OP even be allowed to board the plane in YYZ?

If not, is it too late for them to go to the Consulate in Toronto to get urgent Visa? http://www.visaforchina.org/YTO_EN/
Good point. I don't think the OP can even board the plane....
Old Mar 22, 2015, 5:09 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by Jimgotkp
Good point. I don't think the OP can even board the plane....
OP,mYou may have to buy the cheapest ticket to anthirdncountry and have that documentation (printed) in hand. ) .
You don' have to use it.....then you can at least go out into town.
Old Mar 22, 2015, 6:18 pm

Will China allow you to transit visa free between U.S. and Canada?

Also, there's always the buy fully refundable ticket out of China to someplace and cancel it, but then you may be in the PRC illegally and that will not go over well with the authorities in China.
Old Mar 22, 2015, 6:37 pm
m.y

Programs: AC 75k, Marriott Titanium
Lots of misinformation here, if OP is flying YYZ-PEK-ORD-YYZ then OP can take advantage of 72 hours transit without visa and stay up to 72 hours since you are transiting to a Third country. As far as Chinese is concerned, where OP is headed after ORD is irrelevant.
Old Mar 22, 2015, 6:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by m.y
Lots of misinformation here, if OP is flying YYZ-PEK-ORD-YYZ then OP can take advantage of 72 hours transit without visa and stay up to 72 hours since you are transiting to a Third country. As far as Chinese is concerned, where OP is headed after ORD is irrelevant.
I'm not sure about that if the ticket back is to YYZ with just a connection in ORD. I wouldn't take a chance unless there are reports of this having been done successfully.
Originally Posted by HMPS
OP,mYou may have to buy the cheapest ticket to anthirdncountry and have that documentation (printed) in hand. ) .
You don' have to use it.....then you can at least go out into town.
Definitely not advised. The Chinese can be very sticky about such things.
Originally Posted by xSTRIKEx6864
Also, there's always the buy fully refundable ticket out of China to someplace and cancel it, but then you may be in the PRC illegally and that will not go over well with the authorities in China.
This.
Old Mar 22, 2015, 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by m.y
False. I inquired about this with some members (ex. moondog) who are quite knowledgeable with almost everything related to China around a year ago.
Old Mar 22, 2015, 8:02 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies.
I applied for a visa and postponed my mr to a week later to allow the visa sufficient time to process. Special thanks to all who pointed out the possible issue of the visa.

On another note, I noticed every time I travel to a country that requires a visa (Vietnam for example), the customs officer at Vietnam is the one who will examine the visa, not the custom officers at home or the flight agents. I thought that since I was not going to exit PEK, no visa was necessary. Anyway, safety precautions were made to avoid a possible travel disaster. Thanks all!
Old Mar 22, 2015, 8:04 pm

Programs: A3 Silver
Originally Posted by TheSinister
On another note, I noticed every time I travel to a country that requires a visa (Vietnam for example), the customs officer at Vietnam is the one who will examine the visa, not the custom officers at home or the flight agents. I thought that since I was not going to exit PEK, no visa was necessary. Anyway, safety precautions were made to avoid a possible travel disaster. Thanks all!
I've been asked for visas' by airline agents at my home airport before being issued my boarding pass. YMMV
Old Mar 22, 2015, 8:04 pm

Thanks for the replies.
I applied for a visa and postponed my mr to a week later to allow the visa sufficient time to process. Special thanks to all who pointed out the possible issue of the visa.

Best to be safe than sorry. My last flight to China (ORD-PVG on AA), the gate agents were checking everyone's passports for visas. Since I was continuing to HKG, I told them that and that the TOWV policy was in effect.
Old Mar 22, 2015, 8:29 pm

Thanks for the replies.

As a note, even in transit, you need passport check by immigration police, and then in most cases go to security. By the rules an visa free transit should be ok, but transit China to USA from Canada may get you some extra time/questions as its bit odd "connection". (I had a co worker do Taiwan-Shanghai-Japan all day transit, the front line agent needed to call her manager to see if it was ok, it was but took a while)
Old Mar 22, 2015, 9:22 pm
m.y

Programs: AC 75k, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by vasantn
I'm not sure about that if the ticket back is to YYZ with just a connection in ORD. I wouldn't take a chance unless there are reports of this having been done successfully.
Definitely not advised. The Chinese can be very sticky about such things.
This.
It is well documented that a journey such as DTW-NRT-China-DTW where NRT is just a connection is TWOV compliant. The only trouble one would have is with airline personnel who inputs into Timatic incorrectly like in the case below.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/china...wov-rules.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.