Wiki Posts
Search

Newbie at a MR

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2015, 12:19 pm
Original Poster

Newbie at a MR

Hi Guys,

I have sorta come to grips on how to look for these MR's but i am having trouble with booking it, I know the ITA Matrix i cant book through but when i search directly through airlines and online TA's I cant seem to get the Fare basis i found on the ITA for milage reasons obviously i want full earning rather than 0.5 especially when its going towards a elite status.

Any help on this would be apreciated.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 1:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I've been using Google flights to piece things together, usually fairly easy, then go into ITA to check fare rules or click on the airlines website to view fare classes. Its nice because you can limit it to an airline or alliance fairly easily. I still like ITA but Flights.Google has been very helpful
Old Jan 27, 2015, 10:04 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by KILOHOTEL
when i search directly through airlines and online TA's I cant seem to get the Fare basis i found on the ITA
Once you find something on ITA look at the fare construction. When you take something you found on ITA you either need to call and describe it or enter it into an airline website in a way that get's you the same result.

Example: Last year on my BQN MR the first part of the return was BQN-EWR-IAH. If I put in BQN-EWR I couldn't get it the computer to add IAH, and if I put in both it changed the price dramatically so I put in BQN-IAH which forced the computer to route me through EWR. Does that make seance?

Good luck.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 10:32 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist (2020:Exp), United Gold
I did exactly what Madone59 described. In a couple weeks, I'm doing DCA-IAH-EWR-SJU-EWR-IAH-DCA. Of course, UA won't route you automatically that way, so I had to break it up into multi-city as DCA-IAH/IAH-EWR-SJU/SJU-EWR-IAH/IAH-DCA and it priced out correctly.

If you are concerned with a specific fare, UA does allow you to put in specific fare codes for mileage earning reasons, or for applying GPU. I don't see it on other airlines, however, so you may need to call in and have it constructed exactly the way you want. Be prepared to pay ~$25 booking fee for the reservation by phone.

Sorry I can't answer specifically for your program, as you don't identify what it is, along with your current status level.

Happy travels.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 8:52 am
Original Poster

Thats great guys thanks, I will give it a shot, I am only starting off with AAdvantage hoping to get to platinum this year, Im limited on earning miles because i can't get credit cards or any sp offers that are linked to them because I'm from Ireland. So i have only Milage Runs to try and get me there and get up miles for awards
Old Jan 29, 2015, 3:19 am

Programs: BA gold, Hilton Diamond
I tried the above in google flights (DCA-IAH/IAH-EWR-SJU/SJU-EWR-IAH/IAH-DCA) as a test, but couldn't get a routing IAH-EWR-SJU, system giving me a direct flight instead. What did I wrong?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.