Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

Need 1800mi on UA out of IAD or DCA by year end

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2014, 4:50 pm
Original Poster

Hello everyone. New to the forum. I only need 1800 to get to 1K status on UA. I've been just putting in city codes on the united site to figure out the mileage. So for I know I can go to MCO and MIA.

I've noticed that when others ask for help, replies come back with multi-segment runs. And it seems like the prices are much better/ cheaper than I'm finding.

Would appreciate any suggestions you all have.

Also, in the spirit of "learning to fish" and being able to help myself and others, can someone point me to a guide or tell me how to figure out these multi-city routes? Is it just trial and error?

Thanks in advance.
Old Dec 20, 2014, 6:04 pm

Programs: Hilton credit card Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Use google.com/flights. Put IAD,DCA in the origin, leave the destination blank. Put the 31st in the outgoing and return dates. Put Star Alliance for airline. Study the map, zoom in to see all of the small cities. Concentrate on areas that are about the right distance (Florida and the southeast, Midwest beyond Chicago). Click on any interesting city and look at the itineraries. Go to the bottom and click on the option to show the less attractive itineraries. Any four segment itinerary will do, so you may also look at closer places from DCA that would need four segments.

The 31st was chosen because it seems likely to be the cheapest at this point, but try other dates too, like the 29th, 30th, and 25th.
Old Dec 21, 2014, 12:37 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist (2020:Exp), United Gold
With your 500mi minimum, any trip with 4 segments will have a 2000mi minimum....enough to meet your requirements. So maybe looking for a short run with more segments is better. In this case, it's good to keep in mind where the UA hubs are...IAD/EWR/ORD/IAH/DEN/LAX/SFO. Any flights to/from these locations are often routed nonstop. Sometimes, even IAD will have flights with connections...look in Google Flights for "1+ stops" above the bar graph.

But if you pick two cities that are not a hub, they will likely need to be routed thru one of these hubs. In the WAS area, I often check BWI. For example, BWI-BOS or BWI-PIT, which will always route thru EWR. If you try Dec 31, you will notice $331 BWI-DAY via ORD or EWR, which will yield 2000PQM.

All that being said, however, it looks like there's a better $321 nonstop from BWI to a hub, just under 2400PQM. I'll let you practice using Google Flights to find it on your own.

Good luck!

Last edited by wh6cto; Dec 21, 2014 at 12:38 am Reason: Irrelevant sentence removed.
Old Dec 21, 2014, 3:43 pm
Original Poster

thank you!

thank you for your replies. The google search tool is very cool. i was able to find a round trip to DFW for $301 on 12/29 which works perfectly.

two follow up questions:

1. the 500mi minimum/ segment: i didn't see that take effect when i booked. i had previously booked a flight bwi-ord-oma that was 621 + 416 and it was 1037 (2074 miles r/t). if i was getting 500 minimum, wouldn't i get 1121 per and 2242 miles r/t?

2. my current flight has me in dallas for only an hour, just checking, there's no goofy rule that would not allow me to collect these last 2000 pam's, is there? I assume the airlines know what we're doing and don't care since we're filling seats and paying fares.

thanks again. i learned how to use a new tool today!
Old Dec 21, 2014, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
The 500-mile minimum is only for Elites and shows once deposited in your account - not during the booking.

Were you Elite at the time of that flight?

No issues with the 1-hour turnaround - if something goes amiss, they will get you home another way - usually with a better/more miles routing.
Old Dec 21, 2014, 5:10 pm

Programs: Hilton credit card Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Since you have status now, you will get 500 miles per segment. It shows up when you get credit for the flight, not when you book. Yes, for the BWI-ORD-OMA you earn 1121 each way if you have or had status at the time of the flights.

There is no goofy rule. You fly, you pay, you earn miles. The reason, the amount of time that you spend at the destination, etc. does not matter.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.