Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

UA gold accessible lounges in hong kong and singapore

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2014, 12:42 am
Original Poster

hello folks-

hope this email finds you well. i am doing a mileage run 12/7 to 12/9 on united from SFO to singapore through hong kong and back, and wanted to ask the experts on the forum whether there are lounges accessible for someone with UA premier gold/star alliance gold status, even in the early mornings, to shower and snack a bit. any and all input is much appreciated!

many thanks in advance
Old Dec 3, 2014, 1:14 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist (2020:Exp), United Gold
UA has a contract lounge in SIN, but I would probably go with a SilverKris lounge (24h/showers/food). I've been to the UA Club in HKG...probably the best UA Club in the world. But I hear TG is even better.

BTW, this guide has information on most of the airports served by *A: Star Alliance Reference Guide 2014

I usually carry around the PDF version, since it has airport maps (including lounge locations and access policies), and local telephone numbers for most countries, IRROPS policies, etc.

Safe travels.
Old Dec 3, 2014, 4:57 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by Kevcwang
hello folks-

hope this email finds you well. i am doing a mileage run 12/7 to 12/9 on united from SFO to singapore through hong kong and back, and wanted to ask the experts on the forum whether there are lounges accessible for someone with UA premier gold/star alliance gold status, even in the early mornings, to shower and snack a bit. any and all input is much appreciated!

many thanks in advance

Even if you have your onward boarding passes, check in with the UA transfer desk within the secure area at SIN which opens 3:30 AM. They have always given me (1K flying economy) a complimentary pass to the SATS lounge which opens at the same time and has a buffet and showers. They probably give passes to UA gold - for sure if you are flying business or first. Be sure not to leave the secure area and to not clear customs or immigration when you arrive at SIN.

Have a copy of your itinerary (or onward boarding passes) to show to roving security at SIN - they approach everybody before the morning rush. On the way to SIN, you can get onward boarding passes at the HKG United Club.

On another note - if you would like to fly a Dreamliner both ways and get 1198 more miles, as gold you can request a complimentary sdc, SFO-LAX-NRT-SIN-NRT-LAX-SFO. You would have to leave early morning instead of afternoon, but for your dates there will probably be a lot of good seats left to choose from. If you decide to do this, you can request sdc for the return trip at the NRT United Club on the way to SIN. The front desk will give you the UA premier Tokyo phone # to which you can call from any of the many land lines in the lounge. No one at SIN can help you with a sdc - you would have to call the UA premier line USA.

Keep in mind that a sdc has to be requested 24 hours before a change in the last segment - in your case you can request the first sdc after 1:05 AM Dec 7 PST (6:05 PM Dec 8 Tokyo time, departing NRT to SIN)

After taking care of business at the NRT United Club, you can mosey on over to the less crowded ANA lounge. They require you to show your UA Gold card as well as your onward boarding pass. They have a nice buffet and showers.

When I have flown this route in economy, I put a large pillow and blanket in my carry-on along with changes of clothes. They come in handy if I get a row to myself. If all I am carrying is a small backpack, I am almost always questioned and inspected by customs upon return to the U.S. - travelling very light on a long haul is a red flag. Pulling a carry-on, I have never been detained.

With a free google account, from your laptop you can call any USA land-line or cell phone from Singapore (or anywhere) for free using Hangout, new since Sept 2014. However, the people you call cannot ID you, and may not answer. You can also use it for calling a UA premier line while at SIN.

Bon Voyage!
Old Dec 4, 2014, 2:52 pm
Original Poster

hi wh6cto, tmelanio

thank you so much for the feedback! i am glad that you've done these routes before. i will definitely check out the silver kris lounges, hopefully they won't give me much trouble--actually all i am looking for is a place to shower and grab some food before having to turn around and head right back to the states!

thank you for the star alliance pdf--that is super useful and will be on my phone from now on (and already shared!)

tmelanio--unfortunately i am only gold so i doubt the transfer desk will do much for me... and not flying business or first. (ha! that's a good one)

a question for you guys--i don't need to check out when i get to singapore, right? i should just be able to hang around the terminals/lounges and then head right to the gate prior to departure? or do i need to actually go through customs and then come back in. i've never done mileage run internationally (except for san juan, and that didnt need custom clearance)

thanks for the tip for the sdc--i just looked and there are only middle seats left, but certainly something to consider in the future...

thank you guys again. much appreciated!

best
kcw
Old Dec 4, 2014, 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by wh6cto
UA has a contract lounge in SIN, but I would probably go with a SilverKris lounge (24h/showers/food). I've been to the UA Club in HKG...probably the best UA Club in the world. But I hear TG is even better.

BTW, this guide has information on most of the airports served by *A: Star Alliance Reference Guide 2014

I usually carry around the PDF version, since it has airport maps (including lounge locations and access policies), and local telephone numbers for most countries, IRROPS policies, etc.

Safe travels.
As OP hasn't stated what cabin class he's flying, let me add a few things to your post:

In SIN, unless he's flying C (or F), he can't access the SilverKris. That lounge is strictly for C pax. He can either use the rather crappy Kris Gold lounge (which is ok, but nothing more) - which doesn't have showers or restrooms inside. Or, if UA gives access to a contract lounge, he could use that one (probably better than Kris Gold) - or he could - if it's open - use the TG lounge in Terminal1, especially if he has some time to spend..

edit: Just read that OP is flying Y: You're out of luck then, no access to SilverKris, no shower.

In HKG, there are 3 lounges which *G can use: SQ, TG, UA. All of them are a bit different in offers, and SQ imho just was refurbished. I wouldn't consider one of them to be THE lounge, again, lounge hopping might be a good choice. I found the showers in the UA better than the TG one, SQ doesn't have one (at least the old one didn't). Food wise, I found UA on top, but TG has a decent choice too. Actually, SQ was probably the weakest of them all, but then that was pre-refurb.

edit2: Yes, no need to immigrate into Singapore as long as you don't have CI luggage. Just make sure you've your boarding pass (or get it at the transfer desk) - you'll clear security at the gate, so no chance of bringing any drink from the lounge on board, by the way.
Old Dec 4, 2014, 3:19 pm
Original Poster

thanks YuropFlyer! i will do some more planning to be sure. i guess i will have to use the showers in hong kong...ah, the joys of being a 3rd class citizen (at least by airline standards!)

thanks again. much appreciated. any additional tips for the trip are of course welcome!

best
kcw
Old Dec 4, 2014, 3:25 pm

Programs: Hilton credit card Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
This thread (although there is a lot to wade through) has some further information about SIN turnarounds.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/milea...es-please.html
Old Dec 4, 2014, 3:32 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold
Another option are the pay showers in the Ambassador Lounge in Terminal 3. A shower only is 16 SGD (about $13 USD) and it's decent enough.

Print out your return BP in HKG because the Kris Gold and SATS contract lounge are both departure only. They will want to see your hard-copy departure BP (mobile BPs won't work) and Star Gold card.

The SATS lounge opens at 3am and is slightly better than the Kris Gold. There are free massage chairs in the back that are pretty nice. Other food options in T3 is the food court area but not everything is open between midnight at 5am.

SIN is an awesome airport for a MR - almost like doing a domestic turn.
Old Dec 4, 2014, 7:31 pm

When you arrive HKG you have less than an hour before boarding to SIN, so make a beeline to the United Club and ask to get on the waiting list for a shower when you check in at the front desk. They will take your boarding pass and page you when a shower is ready. In the meantime you can sample their buffet. As departure time nears people will be giving up and getting their boarding passes back - you may have time to take a quick shower. Don't forget to get your boarding pass back when you finish.

Upon arrival at SIN follow the crowd to the end of the B corridor, but do not follow them left downstairs to immigration and baggage claim. If you want a SIN stamp in your passport as a souvenir, make it last on your list - otherwise you will not be able to get back in.

On the right at the end of the B corridor, will be a lot of arm-less seats with many people sleeping. Across on the left will be a closed info counter next to wifi podiums and the transfer station, including the United counter which opens at 3:30 AM, sometimes earlier. Check in even if you already have your boarding passes. As gold, they should give you a complimentary pass to the SATS lounge. Give it a try. When checking in at the SATS Lounge front desk, ask for a towel for a shower. They have a nice buffet.

You are free to mill around, but be prepared to display proof of your next connection to roving security (a plainclothes officer accompanied by armed soldiers). A copy of your itinerary or your onward boarding passes will do.

Any open info desk will give you a free wifi pass-code upon displaying your passport. Upstairs on the right is a 24 hr food court with a Burger King. Also upstairs is a free sleeping lounge which is usually full.

The Ambassador transit hotel upstairs has rates in 6 hour blocks. With deplaning and boarding - you will be at SIN about 3 hours.

About the sdc - most first/business seats are still open which may translate into economy+ aisle seats opening up. If you are up to it, you can check availability 1:05 AM Dec 7, the earliest time to book a sdc for your itinerary. For a return sdc, call UA from SIN. No one at SIN can help you. Also many UA agents are grossly misinformed - just call until you get a competent one.

On your return trip, your HKG layover is 3 hours - plenty of time for your third shower and for exploring other lounges.

Upon return when immigration questions you, I would advise being honest about being on a mileage run. I have had no problems so far. I would advise pulling a puffed up roller carry-on behind you through customs. Almost every time I travel very light on a long haul, I am searched and questioned - never so far with a roller carry-on.

Many of my UA trips to SIN are as springboards to places such as BKK, SGN, MEL, PER, CMB, GOI on discount airlines- a far cheaper alternative.

Bon Voyage!
Old Dec 4, 2014, 7:41 pm

Originally Posted by tmelanio
With a free google account, from your laptop you can call any USA land-line or cell phone from Singapore (or anywhere) for free using Hangout, new since Sept 2014.
It is no longer free. Calls are $0.01USD a minute now.
Old Dec 5, 2014, 3:19 am

Originally Posted by SirJman
It is no longer free. Calls are $0.01USD a minute now.
Are you sure? 2 weeks ago I made several free calls from Singapore, Narita, and Hong Kong to California, Florida, and the USA 1K line. Calls to countries other than the USA are advertised by Google Hangout as being ridiculously cheap - penny a minute?
Old Dec 5, 2014, 4:35 pm
Original Poster

thanks everyone for the input! i will try to post if i am able, but definitely once i get back. hopefully i am able to get into the SATS lounge (or at least take one shower somewhere!!)

best
kcw
Old Dec 8, 2014, 12:07 pm
Original Poster

hello again,

this may be of interest only to me (or to anyone that is considering a mileage run to and back from SFO to SIN)--have a couple of hours before the returning segment of the trip so i thought i would write about the experience so far. i have to say asking for advice on the forum was super helpful in planning the trip.

a couple of observations
1) HKG UA lounge was as advetised--food quality ok but a lot of it, and shower was great. lots of space to sit, but it had appeared that EVERYONE on my flight also was in lounge
2) when did they get rid of free EtOH on trans-acific flights? that was a shock to me. and how can the united say with a straight face that this does not compromise their quality compared to other carriers, all of whom have free alcohol in economy? i am just curious, even though this is probably not the appropriate forum, as to how to go about making change on this front. ridiculous, in my opinion, esp given how crappy UA metal general is compared with other carriers to asia (EVA, SIN, ANA, you name it)
3) SIN airport is hot, even at 2-3 AM in december. access to lounge is a must, even if youre not planning on showering. the hot food at the kris gold lounge ends at 230am, apparently, as i just found out, and restarts up at 5.
4) going to see if i can swing a pass to the SATS lounge with *G, but not hopeful
5) forget about getting a chair on the sleep lounge--full full full
6) avoid 747 transpacific flights if you can. crappy plane, stuff doesnt work, and again, FULL. customer service on the flight is nonexistent

off topic, but have folks been successful in getting refunds for Wifi that sucked? i paid for full access from SFO to HKG and could not get the wifi signal to stay more than 30 secs. of course, when i went online to fill out the form to complain to united it couldnt go through. classic.

thank you to everyone who provided hints and advice for my trip. hopefully wont have to be doing this too often!

best
kcw
Old Dec 8, 2014, 1:39 pm
Original Poster

apologies to keep spamming my own thread--just wanted to update to say that apparently *g allows one to get access to the SATS premier lounge, which is tons better than the kris gold one. showers and bathrooms, and food selection also better (although no beer on tap, although i seem to be the only one clamoring for it at 430am)

hope this is somewhat helpful for those that do MRs to SIN

happy travels

best
kcw
Old Dec 8, 2014, 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by Kevcwang
apologies to keep spamming my own thread--just wanted to update to say that apparently *g allows one to get access to the SATS premier lounge, which is tons better than the kris gold one. showers and bathrooms, and food selection also better (although no beer on tap, although i seem to be the only one clamoring for it at 430am)

hope this is somewhat helpful for those that do MRs to SIN

happy travels

best
kcw
Thanks for the update.

I'm rather pissed about myself - had more than 20 departures in Y Ex-SIN in the last few years and didn't know about it (As I got it from this thread asked the Swiss Lurker a few days ago, when Changi website said access should work) as it was never ever mentioned by LX/LH.

Of course neither Swiss nor Lufthansa do advertise that you can get access to the SATS lounge.. so I basically missed out about 20 superior lounge experiences..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.