Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[FARE GONE] UA: BAH from various cities (e.g., YVR: $850; CLE: $774; IAD: $690)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[FARE GONE] UA: BAH from various cities (e.g., YVR: $850; CLE: $774; IAD: $690)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2014, 3:29 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by Kmxu
Bahrain government has seen too many MRers. If this transit fee is true, MR to BAH will be greatly discouraged.
Why would you think the Bahrain government cares about MRers? 2 BAH equals $5.30. Not sure how this is much of a discouragement.
Old Nov 9, 2014, 3:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Diamond, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold
Returned Today from my IAD-KWI-BAH, immediate turn, BAH-KWI-IAD flight.

Overall, a very easy MR. E+ both ways. On outbound, E+ was quite full so had window with empty middle seat. On last 3 segments, E+ had < 10 people in it (departed on a Friday night, returned Sunday morning) so had plenty of E+ room.

Went to lounges at both KWI and BAH as a *A Gold. No issues. BAH club does have alcohol. The KWI one does not.

Didn't pay any transmit fee in BAH. Just followed transit signage and b/c I was doing immediate turn I already had all my boarding passes before departing IAD so didn't even have to speak anyone. Just went through transit area, up escalator, and then to lounge.

Did get hit with the "SSSS" on my boarding pass leaving IAD so security at IAD took about 15 minutes. Just a warning to those who cut it close when usually getting to airport...may want to leave a bit more time.
Old Nov 9, 2014, 4:16 pm

Programs: UA, Hyatt
Originally Posted by n8onUA

Overall, a very easy MR. E+ both ways. On outbound, E+ was quite full so had window with empty middle seat. On last 3 segments, E+ had < 10 people in it (departed on a Friday night, returned Sunday morning) so had plenty of E+ room.

Went to lounges at both KWI and BAH as a *A Gold. No issues. BAH club does have alcohol. The KWI one does not.

Didn't pay any transmit fee in BAH. Just followed transit signage and b/c I was doing immediate turn I already had all my boarding passes before departing IAD so didn't even have to speak anyone. Just went through transit area, up escalator, and then to lounge.

Did get hit with the "SSSS" on my boarding pass leaving IAD so security at IAD took about 15 minutes. Just a warning to those who cut it close when usually getting to airport...may want to leave a bit more time.
Thanks for the info. Was a bit worried about turn around time, glad to hear it was smooth for you.
Old Nov 9, 2014, 4:20 pm

Programs: UA, Hyatt
Originally Posted by anandrag
I'm getting there Jan 31st and leaving Feb 1st. Both at night. Anyone else who will be there. Omar: will pm you on recos on what to do for 25 hours in the ground and where to stay. Thx!
I'm on the same 1/31 flight out as you, but with an immediate turn around.
Old Nov 9, 2014, 4:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM - AF G – TK G – AZ Ex – Hilton D – Marriott G – IHG P
Originally Posted by Doug 1029
Why would you think the Bahrain government cares about MRers? 2 BAH equals $5.30. Not sure how this is much of a discouragement.

I think that the discouragement comes because they raised it to 25 BAH. (Assuming the OP was correct that that is now the new transit fee.)
Old Nov 9, 2014, 4:57 pm

I'm doing the 13th - 18th and can probably host one in the lounge, however i'm going through DXB. I have no idea why, but I wasn't presented with on opportunity to connect in KWI. Does this flight even go every day?

Also, no miles for the FlyDubai segment, right?
Old Nov 9, 2014, 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by n8onUA

N8onUA: I'm doing this exact MR next weekend. So upon deplaning in BAH, the lounge is accessible after going through the Transit Desk line? It's only about a 90 minute turn in BAH, so just wanted to avoid having to clear security again in BAH if I head off to the lounge during the layover. Thanks!
Old Nov 9, 2014, 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by CLEContinental
N8onUA: I'm doing this exact MR next weekend. So upon deplaning in BAH, the lounge is accessible after going through the Transit Desk line? It's only about a 90 minute turn in BAH, so just wanted to avoid having to clear security again in BAH if I head off to the lounge during the layover. Thanks!
Assuming you are doing IAD-KWI-BAH, when you de-plane in Kuwait, someone will be holding a sign saying Bahrain and probably try to direct you to a seating/waiting area to the right of the gate. If you want to spend the next ~40-50 minutes just sitting there, you can (BORING). OR, you can proceed directly straight through the glass doors into the main terminal.

Once in the main terminal, turn right and you can visit the duty free shops and the Kuwait lounge (again need *A, Priority Pass, etc.). To get to the lounge, head towards the immigration/baggage claim (it's < 2 min walk). Right before going down the escalators to bag claim/exit/etc, veer to the right and you'll see an angled ramp and an elevator that goes up to the lounge. I'm sorry but I forget the exact name of the lounge. I don't think there's many but you'll pass a very very big chocolate shop on your right if you're heading in the right direction. No alcohol but decent food selection and much better than just sitting in the cordoned off waiting area. I'm sure you can ask any of the people in the chocolate store where the lounge is and they can direct you.

About 5-10 minutes before scheduled boarding time, head back to the EXACT same gate you deplanned from (as far as I can tell it's the same 777 IAD-KWI-BAH-BWI-IAD). If you're first, business, or *A gold you'll be able to use the expedited security line. You have to remove shoes, laptops, belt, etc. but the whole process unless you have any forbidden items should take less than 3 minutes tops.

Again, this is in KUWAIT airport (which is quite small...at least the terminal where United arrives). ALSO, I was flying over a weekend and the planes had VERY VERY low loads. The IAD-KWI flight was the most full and every middle seat in E+ was empty. Also, keep in mind that I think there are very few KWI-BAH only flyers which is why security re-boarding at KWI is so quick.

Once you land in Bahrain, head towards the **transit** signs. You'll reach a point, where the immigration queues are to your left (this is where 98% of the people will go and if you're staying in Bahrain for a night or two you will go to). The transit area is a little farther ahead. You'll have to go through security AGAIN but there were 0 people in the line for me. After you go through security, there is a long desk with agents representing various airlines. There should be an agent there who represents United and can print or re-print any boarding passes you may need (again if you're doing the quick turn you may be able to get all your boarding passes in IAD in which case you don't even need to see the agent). While facing the counter, you make a right and walk forward and around a corner, there's an escalator to go upstairs. You can also take an elevator that's around the other side.

Unfortunately, this is where my memory is foggy, but once upstairs you want to head towards the lounge. It's < 1 min walk but I must've been sleep deprived at this point because I don't remember exact details. It's a very nice lounge though was full with only a few empty seats. I had time to grab a drink and some light snacks. Unlike KWI, they **DO** ask your flight when you get to the lounge and WILL make a 1st and FINAL boarding call for your flight (at least they did for me). I left the lounge at the FINAL boarding call and followed signs to the gate. I got to the gate and again had to go through a security checkpoint and then answer the usual "you're going to the US let me ask you about your bags" questions. Whole process took about 10 minutes or less and I was back on board.

I repeated the above when we landed in Kuwait to head back to the lounge. Again, someone will be holding a sign that says "WASHINGTON" and may try to get you to sit in the waiting area, but my layover was almost 2+ hours and I was like, uh no, I'm not sitting here with nothing to do...headed to lounge for food and wifi.

A few things to note: The BAH lounge is MUCH nicer than the KWI lounge.

Due to the longer layover before KWI-IAD, I thought it might be nice to take a shower. However, the lounge check-in girl said they had 0 towels. The showers looked nice, but I also couldn't find any soap or shampoo. I did see a bathroom attendant so perhaps they provide some, but without a towel, I just decided to screw it and shower once I got back home.

If you do want to shower, you may consider taking a towel and shampoo/soap. Then again, I may have just arrived at a fluke time when they were doing laundry.

Overall, if your flight loads are relatively low, you should have no problem using the lounge on all 3 layovers. The airport walks are small and although it seems like you go through many security checkpoints, there's hardly anyone ever in line and they get you through quite quickly.

A few caveats:
* Obviously if your flight is running late, you should decide if you have time to head to lounge.
* This is the first time I've done the BAH MR, but before I left I met a guy on FT who was doing my itinerary too and had done it 6-7 times. So he helped me find the lounges. If you post your itinerary you might be able to meet up with someone as well.
* The guy who had done this 6-7 times felt very confident always using the lounges at each layover so I feel like it's never been an issue using them.

I think due to the large # of people who do the BAH MR, everyone at all airports is use to us by now. I didn't pay any transit fee or really ever have anyone grill me extensively about what I was doing or why. I even had "SSSS" marked on my return KWI-IAD boarding pass and the security treated me no differently than everyone else (unlike in the US where you get the full pat down).

Overall, this is a very easy MR should flights be on time and lightly loaded. The lounge stopovers are nice.

Last edited by n8onUA; Nov 9, 2014 at 6:04 pm
Old Nov 9, 2014, 7:00 pm

Thank you!! This is my 1st international MR, so was a little worried about immigration/visa hassles, but it sounds like since I'm doing the immediate turn like you did, no need for a visa. The loads look very light on my flight also - was able to get nice exit rows in E+.

I might sit in the waiting room though in KWI on the way there. The stopover is 80 minutes enroute to BAH but 105 mins on the return, so will try the KWI lounge on the return to IAD once I get the hang of things. Very helpful advice and very much appreciated!!!

Last edited by CLEContinental; Nov 9, 2014 at 7:05 pm
Old Nov 9, 2014, 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by CLEContinental
Thank you!! This is my 1st international MR, so was a little worried about immigration/visa hassles, but it sounds like since I'm doing the immediate turn like you did, no need for a visa. The loads look very light on my flight also - was able to get nice exit rows in E+.

I might sit in the waiting room though in KWI on the way there. The stopover is 80 minutes enroute to BAH but 105 mins on the return, so will try the KWI lounge on the return to IAD once I get the hang of things. Very helpful advice and very much appreciated!!!
Truthfully, this is about as easy as they come for MRs (although if it fit my schedule I would've liked to spend some time in either place).

Even the timing allows you to sleep 8-9+ hours in each direction, allowing you to avoid any potential jet lag.

For the record, my stopover in KWI was 80 minutes as well and I had plenty of time to have multiple plates of food and relax a bit in the lounge. If your loads are low, there should be almost 0 people waiting in security for KWI-BAH. Also, keep in mind, when I say "security checkpoint" this isn't like the US where everyone is funneled through a giant checkpoint. Each gate has its own security checkpoint with a metal detector and security people. And if you're *A or above, they have priority lines (not that you'd even need them). But do what you feel comfortable with...

I also grabbed some souvenirs in the BAH duty free to take home.

Finally, I would check, but I may recommend *against* the exit row in E+. Many of the older United planes (and I believe this includes the 777) have IMMOVABLE arm rests in exit rows. Meaning you can't get 3 seats to sleep in. Check SeatGuru or other sites to confirm but you may be better off *not* doing exit row.

Also, I brought a full-size pillow and a normal red-eye kit (eye mask, ear plugs, socks, etc.). Finally, if you're near a window, it does get cold during the flight so would suggest a warm sweater or bringing a blanket. United does give the cheap pillows and thin blankets and if you have 3 seats to yourself, you can use all of them, but I find a real full-size pillow nice.

Good luck!
Old Nov 10, 2014, 2:32 am

Programs: UA/*A Gold, Global Entry, Marriott Plat, Hilton+IHG Gold, Hertz PC, DL
i vote to wiki n8's post(s). great contribution.
Old Nov 10, 2014, 7:41 pm

Great post and string, thank you to those who have put so much work into this. One thing I don't understand is why many of these flights have so many free seats (at least, that's what it seems like). Most of my flight on UA these days seem to be completely full and have a standby list.
Old Nov 10, 2014, 7:50 pm

Programs: 1P, Avis Presidents Club, Marriott Gold Elite, RCC
Great info^. I am doing this mr nov 22 out of ord. E+ wide open. Any FT'ers on same or part of ord, iad, KWI, bah and immediate turn? Thanks

Last edited by mirage47; Nov 10, 2014 at 7:53 pm Reason: Change
Old Nov 10, 2014, 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by jpauls123
Great post and string, thank you to those who have put so much work into this. One thing I don't understand is why many of these flights have so many free seats (at least, that's what it seems like). Most of my flight on UA these days seem to be completely full and have a standby list.
Exactly and NRT-BKK was at capacity every day--and drove USA-NRT traffic as well--and it gets cut. It's like United is being run by chimps.
Old Nov 10, 2014, 8:45 pm

Programs: UA Silver / FA
Originally Posted by jpauls123
From what I understand UA is required to run this route due to a gov't contract.. and IAD-KWI-BAH isn't the highest demand route so they sell them off to the MRunners.. Think about the first destinations you see for suggestions or cheap immediate turns: POS, CGK, BAH, etc. Not exactly London & Paris

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.