Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

3 Trips to HKG in 3 Weeks. Crazy?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2014, 8:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXP

Do you guys think it's crazy to do 3 NYC>HKG mileage runs in back to back to back weeks?
Is there anything unhealthy about flying so much?
Old Sep 27, 2014, 8:43 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hhonors Gold, National Executive, Identity Gold, MLife Gold
Crazy, and yes it is actually unhealthy as well.
Old Sep 27, 2014, 9:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Yes, but the degree depends on whether it's in coach or with confirmed free upgrades to business?
Old Sep 27, 2014, 9:23 pm

Programs: Skywards Platinum
Originally Posted by Ambraciot
Yes, but the degree depends on whether it's in coach or with confirmed free upgrades to business?
What airline would give confirmed "free" upgrade to business? At minimum one would need to use a GPU/SWU, which is not free.
Old Sep 27, 2014, 9:27 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by kmzandrew
Do you guys think it's crazy to do 3 NYC>HKG mileage runs in back to back to back weeks?
There are many people that fly more than that in less time.
Old Sep 27, 2014, 9:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ambraciot
AA Main Cabin Extra. If I manage to get an upgrade in there I think I'd be fine.

A few years back I had had a really rough stint, something like 50k miles in twelve days, but it was all in C and F so it didn't bother me at all.
Old Sep 27, 2014, 10:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
I will say no on this (it is not crazy).

However, it will definitely raise some flags by the CBP due to the frequencies.
Old Sep 28, 2014, 12:16 am

Programs: status free since 2017
NYC-HKG flights have MCE?? Are you flying AA metal? I thought there is CX coded flights out of NYC.

To answer the original question...

I wouldn't flights that long every weekend (unless I have a personal masseur at home) in Y cabin. No way! Mileage wise its a lot... not record breaking though.

And, why would this raise CBP inquires? People travel all the time for various reasons. If you don't have GE, officer might ask about the frequent trips. Be honest if they ask. Simple.
Old Sep 28, 2014, 3:09 am

Programs: UA 1K, Starwood Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by garykung
However, it will definitely raise some flags by the CBP due to the frequencies.
"definitely": source? evidence? proof?

Sorry, such definitive statements are nonsense unless you have any evidence.

While I don't work for CBP and can't say that they "definitely" don't care, I very much doubt that they do. If the OP was going to Pakistan all the time, I could see the potential for questions or concerns. But Hong Kong? There's a ton of business there.
Old Sep 28, 2014, 3:33 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

crazy - yes :)

Yes, this seems crazy to your health and sanity But doable I guess if you have at least MCE or Premium Economy.

I will also be doing (at least just one run) on the PE fare from DXB to JFK in CX PE with a one night stay in NYC before returning the next day and continue back to Europe on the return.

Cheers!
Old Sep 28, 2014, 9:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by carsnoceans
NYC-HKG flights have MCE?? Are you flying AA metal? I thought there is CX coded flights out of NYC.

To answer the original question...

I wouldn't flights that long every weekend (unless I have a personal masseur at home) in Y cabin. No way! Mileage wise its a lot... not record breaking though.

And, why would this raise CBP inquires? People travel all the time for various reasons. If you don't have GE, officer might ask about the frequent trips. Be honest if they ask. Simple.
Whoops. It was late and I didn't realize I wasn't clear. It's AA so NYC>DFW>HKG. Anyway, I agree with you that your back suffers most when in MCE.

I don't see why CBP would have any issues either. Definitely not US CBP; maybe HKG (no experience with them), but I used to fly from BCN to NYC almost every weekend a couple years back and never had an issue...not once.
Old Sep 28, 2014, 10:23 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
The only thing it does for me is raise the question (that has been asked many times) how can one justify THIS many miles as strictly runs? 1 maybe, but 3 times? That's like trying to earn the whole year's flying in a few days to maintain status, doesn't seem worth it to me. It's the one thing I can't seem to wrap my head around.

Health wise, I would only say it might mess with your circadian rhythms a bunch, I mean you could always just sleep a bunch after each trip to kinda reset though. For myself the food might cause some minor issues as well, but I think that's just me.
Old Sep 28, 2014, 10:37 am

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K, AA EXP, US G, SPG P, HH D, MR G, NEXUS/GE, DL AMEX Reserve
I did 3 roundtrip JFK-SEA-HKG-SEA-JFK in one week... It can be done and done well... Double MQM out of Seattle works out nicely.
Old Sep 28, 2014, 11:18 am

Programs: Marroitt Plat,Hiton Gold,IHG PLAT,United Siver
Wouldn't do it .Unless
Old Sep 28, 2014, 12:21 pm

Programs: DL GM, AMEX Business Platinum, AMEX Delta Reserve, DL SkyClub Member, Choice PM
Originally Posted by kmzandrew
Crazy? Yes.

Unhealthy?
Not in my opinion, if one pro-actively takes adequate measures to hydrate oneself, keep your blood thin by taking a baby aspirin at intervals of 8 to 12 hours, avoiding alcohol and/or coffee, stretching your legs by walking around the aircraft at regular intervals of 4 hours or so.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.