Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

3 Trips to HKG in 3 Weeks. Crazy?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

3 Trips to HKG in 3 Weeks. Crazy?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2014, 1:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXP
Originally Posted by drvannostren
The only thing it does for me is raise the question (that has been asked many times) how can one justify THIS many miles as strictly runs? 1 maybe, but 3 times? That's like trying to earn the whole year's flying in a few days to maintain status, doesn't seem worth it to me. It's the one thing I can't seem to wrap my head around.
Well, the main goal for me here is to get the miles, but in reality they will be like mini trips.
I've played with it for a while and can do 1 run just to HKG with an immediate turn around. And then for the others I can go on to SGN for a few days, and BKK for a few days. It's not like I'll be on a plane non-stop. Nonetheless, it's tough on the body. I almost think I'd be more comfortable toughing it out and doing 3 back to back runs than dealing with jet lag 3 weeks in a row.
Maybe its worth trying to Upgrade to C, but I've heard the DFW>HKG flight is impossible.

I also understand the sentiment of running just for the sake of status, but I'm going to be doing a lot of traveling next year, especially CONUS, and EXP seems worth it. Considering I value SWU, and miles I'll get from these trips, just about as much as the cost, overall it seems fine.
Old Sep 28, 2014, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by Pat+
"definitely": source? evidence? proof?

Sorry, such definitive statements are nonsense unless you have any evidence.

While I don't work for CBP and can't say that they "definitely" don't care, I very much doubt that they do. If the OP was going to Pakistan all the time, I could see the potential for questions or concerns. But Hong Kong? There's a ton of business there.
CBP does not concern you being a terrorist for frequent visits to Hong Kong.

CBP simply concerns on what exactly in your baggage (smuggler).
Old Sep 28, 2014, 3:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by garykung
CBP does not concern you being a terrorist for frequent visits to Hong Kong.

CBP simply concerns on what exactly in your baggage (smuggler).
Indeed, I've found I'm usually selected for secondary screening and my carry-on gets searched whenever I come back from a 3-4 day East Asian trip, but not when I stay for a week.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 7:15 pm

Crazy? Nope.
Unhealthy? Nope (Doesn't have to be, in any case.)

I did 37.000 miles in 7 days/6 night in March, with all but 1 night spent sleeping on planes instead of a bed, all in Y. Compared to that, yours sounds quite lovely, you've got plenty of time to recharge between trips.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 10:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Totally crazy to limit yourself. You should have booked another. 3 is never enough
Old Sep 30, 2014, 7:27 am

Programs: UA *G 1MM LT United Club & Global Entry
Are you quick turning in HKG? Sleeping in the airport? Getting a hotel room for a night?

SunLover
Old Oct 1, 2014, 1:37 pm

Programs: MANY
Originally Posted by SunLover
Are you quick turning in HKG? Sleeping in the airport? Getting a hotel room for a night?

SunLover
It is crazy... I hope you are getting close to 70K EQM. Also please make sure to visit those protesters in Hong Kong!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.