Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

MR for additional UA GPUs - worth it?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2014, 12:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold

Apologies in advance if this is already answered elsewhere. I'm unable to effectively search for GPU. Apparently it is too short of a phrase to search for. If this is answered in another thread, please feel free to close this one and point me to the previous one.

Anyway, enough about that, and on to my question.

In December, I'll be at about 125,000 PQM and over the 10,000 PQD. With another 25K PQM, I'll get 2 more GPUs. It would probably take me a couple of MRs, but I've got the flexibility to do that.

Net benefit to me:
50K RDM
2 GPU

Cost:
If I can manage < 5 CPM, ~$1200
2 weekends (plus some sanity)

I am kind of on the fence about whether or not it's worth it. I'd really appreciate the thoughts of others who have been in a similar situation.

Thank you.
Old Jul 18, 2014, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
A GPU, based on CC, is worth about $300 to $350**. 50K RDM is worth about $1000. So spending $1200 to get $1600 of value.

**Some never get to use them. Some use them to save thousands.
Old Jul 18, 2014, 1:20 pm
Original Poster

aacharya, thank you for your feedback and analysis. It's much appreciated. I guess I need to do some research to see if the routes I'd likely fly have a decent chance of GPUs clearing.
Old Jul 19, 2014, 10:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

[QUOTE=ChickenOfBristol;23219066]
I am kind of on the fence about whether or not it's worth it. I'd really appreciate the thoughts of others who have been in a similar situation.
/QUOTE]

Some folks have seen a little extra benefits of some extra miles, by closing in on a MM status level. Depending on individual situations this might be worth little (1MM) to a lot (4MM). Then of course there is still the issue of trust with anything the COdbaUA management does these days.
Old Jul 20, 2014, 12:22 am

Programs: UA *G 1MM LT United Club & Global Entry
Originally Posted by ChickenOfBristol
Apologies in advance if this is already answered elsewhere. I'm unable to effectively search for GPU. Apparently it is too short of a phrase to search for. If this is answered in another thread, please feel free to close this one and point me to the previous one.
The best way to search most websites is using google outside of the website. In this case go to google and type in something like "flyertalk united GPU value".

Originally Posted by ChickenOfBristol
Net benefit to me:
50K RDM
2 GPU
And also two additional RPU's I believe.

SunLover
Old Jul 21, 2014, 10:40 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestion, SunLover, and I did totally forget about the additional 2 RPU.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 12:45 am
formerly sahiljain22

Programs: Amex Plat; HH Diamond; SPG Plat; Hyatt Diamond; United 1K; National EE; HSBC Premier
Originally Posted by aacharya
A GPU, based on CC, is worth about $300 to $350**. 50K RDM is worth about $1000. So spending $1200 to get $1600 of value.
Not to pick on this analysis, but GPUs are worth less around the end of the year than during the beginning. Since OP already has 6 GPUs from being 1K, additional GPUs may be worth less unless he/she is using them up frequently (or looking to trade them). So if OP plans to use the 2 extra GPUs next December, I wouldn't value them over $200 or $250.

Same deal for RDMs, 2cpm is what you can buy with accelerator. But if the OP is not redeeming miles or redeeming at a higher rate, RDMs may be valued differently. For example, if OP has 50k miles vs 500k miles, another 50k is a different value due to extra redemptions possible.

2 RPUs may be the value of another GPU.

Why not do a MR in January instead and have less of a headache to requalify next year?

I almost never do a big MR unless I am very close to a benchmark like 125k after requalifying. I might do a MR on another airline - well thats a story for another day.

PS: I value a GPU for $250 each, and miles for 1.6cpm, and a RPU at $180.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.