Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

Is Mileage Running just about Dead?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is Mileage Running just about Dead?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2014, 5:49 am

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Originally Posted by tom911
I'm still hanging in with AA where my business is appreciated. I walked away from UA 2.5 years ago and have no regrets. if AA matches UA, and I don't assume that to be a done deal, my travel dollars will be welcome by a wealth of carriers.
I find it hard to believe AA won't move to the same earning structure as DL & UA....its just a matter of time. Either they are very smart and putting it off a year just to see if they can grab up more customers angry at UA or DL, or more likely, they just have to much on their plate right now with the merger and as soon as they clear up the more important stuff, AA customers will get the exact same email those of us at UA and DL already have received. AA "might" be the best of the 3 but they just aint THAT generous
Old Jul 15, 2014, 11:40 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
I find it hard to believe AA won't move to the same earning structure as DL & UA....its just a matter of time.
I'm just not ready to make that jump yet. Recall when UA raised the minimum fare on systemwides to H, and then dropped them to W, about a dozen years back now, many UA flyers forecast AA would match and I'm still waiting for that. Same with Premier Qualifying Dollars announced by UA about a year back. No AA match there. Think of other UA products like Ted, Shuttle by United, Avolar....no AA matches there, either. AA has a history of not following UA all the time. I'm holding out hope they don't match this time, either, and there is some precedent in them not matching.

I asked a high-revenue UA flyer this week if the prospect of 75,000 miles per ticket on a UA flight would stop him from leaving and he told me that wasn't even a consideration in light of all the issues he had with that carrier. He wasn't making the move to AA for the miles, as AA doesn't offer up to 75K per trip. I'd love to see AA's numbers as to how many flyers they are bringing in from competitors, let alone new corporate contracts (have seen a few posts from those based at SFO or working in Silicon Valley that have had contracts changed from UA to AA).

AA has the luxury to sit back and see how UA does come March 15. We'll all be watching.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 9:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO
Originally Posted by Bonaventure
Not dead. Easier US MRing is now just coming closer to the difficulty or price/value level in the rest of the world, but it's still quite good. I turn my MRs into large vacations I would do anyways, but with destination unknown, and will hit top tier for under 10k this year. The benefits don't exceed 10k, but are still very worthwhile considering the travelling I get.
Except $10K isn't even close to MR territory in terms of cost. Just about any frequent leisure traveler can hit a top tier for $10K. At that cost I would label your flights by a completely different name. Nothing wrong with that of course
Old Jul 21, 2014, 1:17 pm

Programs: UA, DL, AA, Aegean Air, Cal Alumni (go Bears!)
Deader than Blue Chip Stamps. (In the U.S. they were popular in the 60s, given at supermarkets. Then you could buy items at their shops with filled up stamp books)
My mother used to collect those like I used to collect miles.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 2:21 pm

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
My two cents....

1. I think it would be wise for AA to stick with the miles as a way to differentiate itself. Sure they think they will attract some mileage junkies.

2. I think it could change who the status FFers are. More short haul flyers will gain status who before didnt because they pay a higher fare. Once you get status it appears it will be easier to maintain it While those long haul flyers who fly VC or XO on lower fares may lose out.

3. This will definitely hurt people like myself who may travel 2-3 times for work a year + 3-4 times leisure travel each year and get low status without having to spending requirement. Thus it will force customers to go the credit card route to maintain status. If I do 5 XC flights a year earning 5K per I could earn 25K miles--> status.

4. The big concern is how will this effect people who already have miles in their account and want to redeem them? will it be changed to points instead where 1 mile= 1 point or will their current miles get develaued?
Old Jul 24, 2014, 6:13 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, AA EXP, SPG Plt, HH Dmnd
Originally Posted by vxmike
Except $10K isn't even close to MR territory in terms of cost. Just about any frequent leisure traveler can hit a top tier for $10K. At that cost I would label your flights by a completely different name. Nothing wrong with that of course
It's extremely difficult for non us-based fliers to get much below that hurdle . Especially after recent devaluations, at least in AC, and also if one likes to fly J
Old Jul 25, 2014, 6:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by Bonaventure
It's extremely difficult for non us-based fliers to get much below that hurdle . Especially after recent devaluations, at least in AC, and also if one likes to fly J
Assuming that you plan a few months in advance, AA fares from BKK to BOS, JFK, etc., are running around $1,500 RT. Five of them will be less than $8,000 and get you EXP.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 5:42 am

Programs: BA/AA/UA
Originally Posted by cova
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ff-smisek.html

Check out the UA forum above.

June 2014 Comments Attributed to UA CEO Jeff Smisek

As quoted by Ben Levisohn in Barron's today:

"The second initiative is aimed at improving revenue via changes to revenue management techniques/policies by restructuring fares in its domestic and Latin network to drive a higher paid load factor in business/first class cabins and enhancing ancillary revenue opportunities by tailoring offers to customers and introducing more dynamic pricing."
It's worked out well for me, since I pay out of pocket for my flights, and I'm 6'-4" 240#. I really don't have the option of flying coach. Domestic F seats are about the same size as Y was a generation ago, and on some I can barely wedge myself in as it is.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.