Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[FARE GONE] CM IAD to CUZ $399 ai

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[FARE GONE] CM IAD to CUZ $399 ai

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2014, 8:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
IQT would also be a good trip, IMO. Just got back from 5 days there, where I stayed in town at a $31 place with air-con and satellite TV and did the Amazon thing as daytrips, including one to a lodge. With more of an outlay you can do the multi-days upriver or downriver. Peru promotes the whole country for tourism but I'm still not sure there's widespread awareness that it's a cheaper and easier way to get to the Amazon than via Brazil (the country most associated with the river).

With CUZ it's a charming city and there are indeed daytrips to other ruins. Do be aware that it's twice as high as Denver and that can run you out of breath noticeably quicker than back home. Maybe someone in their 20s could do the Inca trail right off the plane, but it'd be pretty foolhardy for me. I did the Macchu-Picchu thing as a long daytrip with the train ride + tour stops in Ollyantambo and I think one other place and something like $200 soup to nuts (train and admissions making up the bulk). The good thing was having over 4 hours on site...first 2 were on a tour and then the rest to oneself as the place was getting less visited in the late afternoon.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 8:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA S, AA G; AS G; DL | SPG P50, M G, CC G, IHG P, HLT S | Hertz PC, Avis F
I would like to point out an important discovery that the CUZ fare allows embedded surface sector on permitted routing.

For example,you can price IAD-CUZ//LIM-IAD using IAD-CUZ + CUZ-IAD pricing units, which gives you a much cheaper fare compared to IAD-CUZ & LIM-IAD pricing units. You can even save around 5 USD on Peru airport tax... You do need to figure out how to complete the surface sector CUZ-LIM yourself though.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 9:02 pm

Having just returned from a 10day Peru trip, IMO CUZ was easily the best city visited (LIM, Arequipa, AC/MP, Olly, Chivay). It reminded me of a Peruvian Florence if that makes any sense. For those wanting to visit MP, I'd rec taking a taxi to Ollyantambo and then catching the train to Aguas Caliente. I would love to go back to CUZ for a weekend since I was only there one night when returning from MP. The sickness wasn't nearly as bad as traveling through the Colca Canyon which is nearly 2x higher than CUZ but still take the sickness pills and drink colca tea and you should be fine.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 9:36 pm

Just snagged MCO-PTY-LIM-CUZ-LIM-PTY-MCO for $441.
Orbitz originally priced it at $452, but upon booking it came out to $441.

Thanks, OP!
Old Jun 4, 2014, 10:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver, MR titanium
Originally Posted by vandrei
Is it just Orbitz that is selling tickets? I am still seeing $401 r/t a/i on ITA Matrix but can't find the fare on Copa's Web site...maybe because the final leg LIM-CUZ is on Avianca.
Have you tried priceline

Last edited by yuel; Jun 4, 2014 at 11:28 pm
Old Jun 4, 2014, 11:20 pm

Programs: United Platinum, AA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Just booked IAD - PTY - LIM - CUZ - LIM - PTY - IAD in October for $397. Not bad at all - thanks OP!
Old Jun 5, 2014, 2:13 am

Programs: UA Gold, VX Gold, AA PLT, DL Gold, MR Gold, HH Diamond, Hertz 5* Gold
Originally Posted by yuel
Have you tried priceline
Nope. Do tickets purchased through Priceline, Orbitz, etc. even qualify for PQD on MP or are they bulk tickets?
Old Jun 5, 2014, 2:24 am

What dates?

Originally Posted by cyberUAL
$559 from lax
What dates work from lax? Tried ITA could not find that price.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 4:06 am

Programs: Aeroplan, TD.
Originally Posted by FlyHigh23
Having just returned from a 10day Peru trip, IMO CUZ was easily the best city visited (LIM, Arequipa, AC/MP, Olly, Chivay). It reminded me of a Peruvian Florence if that makes any sense. For those wanting to visit MP, I'd rec taking a taxi to Ollyantambo and then catching the train to Aguas Caliente. I would love to go back to CUZ for a weekend since I was only there one night when returning from MP. The sickness wasn't nearly as bad as traveling through the Colca Canyon which is nearly 2x higher than CUZ but still take the sickness pills and drink colca tea and you should be fine.
I need to get there in this lifetime.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 5:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by vandrei
Nope. Do tickets purchased through Priceline, Orbitz, etc. even qualify for PQD on MP or are they bulk tickets?
Yes, they qualify, never had a problem using any ota, only bidding on them through priceline don't qualify, but buying them on Priceline will qualify
Old Jun 5, 2014, 5:47 am

I see $487 rt ai from NYC to CUZ in late August for 6-10 days, but I'm guessing thats too long a time to be in CUZ?

Would the best be to have a few days in LIM and a few days in CUZ or something like that?
Old Jun 5, 2014, 6:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by itslikepaper
I see $487 rt ai from NYC to CUZ in late August for 6-10 days, but I'm guessing thats too long a time to be in CUZ?

Would the best be to have a few days in LIM and a few days in CUZ or something like that?
That is a long time in cuz, unless you want to go to Lake Titicacca, then you would need at least 6 days to make a rountrip trip there by train
Old Jun 5, 2014, 6:39 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, WN A+, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Amb, Hertz PC
Booked a long weekend in CUZ with my GF over Labor Day Weekend! Now waiting on ticket numbers...Cuzco is one of my favorite places and my GF has wanted to go.

Orbitz says I have until 11 PM EST the next day to cancel. Is this legit?? Surprised it's over 24 hours to cancel with full refund.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 6:48 am

Programs: Statusless and proud
That is a long time in cuz, unless you want to go to Lake Titicacca, then you would need at least 6 days to make a rountrip trip there by train
Or you can take the tourist bus to Puno where you stop off at some interesting sights on the way. Only $20 or so if I remember correctly.

Chris
Old Jun 5, 2014, 7:27 am

Thanks for the info. I don't see a way of splitting the flight to have a couple days in LIM and a few in CUZ, though.

If flying to CUZ for 8 days or so, could one stay in Ollantaytambo for a few nights, one or two nights in Aguas Calientas, then head to CUZ for the remaining 3 or 4 nights?

I guess you want the return flight from CUZ to LIM to be in the morning because many PM ones get cancelled.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.