Community
Wiki Posts
Search

PHL-PHX-ANC on US?

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2014, 10:21 am
Original Poster

PHL-PHX-ANC on US?

I'm just looking into this concept of doing mileage runs, and was wondering if someone could give me an idea of whether I'm on the right track.

I went to google flights and found this itinerary, but I don't know how to determine if it's good or not. I'm not going to take this flight, right now I"m just trying to figure out how to plan.

Wed, Jun 11 US Airways 1743 PHL-PHX 1:55 - 3:50 pm, US Airways 655 PHX-ANC 7:50 pm - 12:26 am.
Thu, Jun 12 US Airways 646 ANC-PHX 1:40 am - 8:09 am, US Airways 1803 10:45 am - 6:24 pm

The price listed for that is $559, including taxes and fees. According to an online calculator I used that would be 9240 miles, and 6cpm. Is that a good run? Are there any "gotcha's" that would prevent this from making sense if I"m already in Philadelphia, and have the time?
Old May 26, 2014, 10:22 am

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, SPG Gold, TSA PreCheck
6cpm is a bit high for a MR, but I think it depends on the person.

Use ITA (http://matrix.itasoftware.com/?showPricePerMile=true) and sort by Price per mile.

The lowest I'm seeing for that route is 5.6 cpm in September.

Last edited by berliner5000; May 26, 2014 at 10:54 am
Old May 26, 2014, 1:48 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat, UA LT Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott LT Gold
I'm doing the the CLT-DFW-SEA-ANC route for the EP challenge on AA at 6cpm.
Old May 29, 2014, 2:28 am

Programs: Alaska Mileage Plan
This is a pretty good fare to Alaska if you actually plan to visit. If you're considering a quick turn there are much better deals to be had. Do go, though, and spend some time in Alaska. It's an incredible place and you'll probably get hooked!
Old May 29, 2014, 12:57 pm
Original Poster

The more I look into this, the more I think that I'm more of a "mini-vacation" kind of guy, rather than a mileagerunner. Find a cheapish fare, take a day or so there, rack up miles.

Thanks for the comments everyone!
Old May 29, 2014, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Helter27
The more I look into this, the more I think that I'm more of a "mini-vacation" kind of guy, rather than a mileagerunner. Find a cheapish fare, take a day or so there, rack up miles.

Thanks for the comments everyone!
I'm sort of the same way. Tempted by PHL-DEN-ANC, 8 hours in ANC, and then ANC-DEN-IAH-PHL.
Old May 29, 2014, 8:15 pm
k2o

Programs: UA 1K, DL Dia.,AA Plat, Hilton Dia,Bonvoy T
I just returned from a similar jog. I too, prefer a jog so I have a day or two to see something and experience the destination. Its a decent fare and I'm considering it for the weekend of the 4th. Might be able to see Denali this time. TVC ORD LAX(or SEA) ANC then same return.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.