Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

UA Deals out of DCA (preferred) or IAD?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA Deals out of DCA (preferred) or IAD?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2014, 8:09 pm

Programs: WN
Originally Posted by JPG3392
You may be interested to know that the inexpensive MARC commuter train from Washington to BWI ($6 one-way) now operates on weekends as well as weekdays, though the weekend schedule is much reduced, especially Sundays.
Amtrak isn't usually that much more expensive. Taxis are really pricy though, on the order of $100 into the city.
Old Jan 22, 2014, 10:06 am

Programs: UA
Well, for people who are calculating their CPM down to the decimal, I'd say the $6 MARC fare to BWI from WAS is a lot better than the $14 (minimum, sometimes as high as $18 or $24) Amtrak fare. It's >200% higher!

And frankly, the MARC is only about 15 mins slower.
Old Jan 22, 2014, 3:31 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.1MM , Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Discoverist
I just did a IAD-PDX-IAD run this past weekend. Left IAD at 5:30pm on the direct flight and got into PDX at around 8:20. Left the next morning on the 8am direct and got home around 3:30. $234 ai. Just about 4,700 miles. Look around and you can find something. Use Google flights, Kayak, or ITA Matrix to find the best options. Like others have said, IAD will give you much better possibilities (including some great international routes from time to time). PDX, PHX, LAX, MRY, and even SFO have great weekend deals at times.
Old Jan 22, 2014, 6:35 pm

Programs: united
I too live in NOVA - 5 minutes from IAD - but find more quality and cost effective MR out of BWI. Will never become a Ravens Fan...too much pain invested in my Skins.

In fact, just finished BWI - DEN - SMF - IAH - BWI for $210 RT. Running PHL - IAH - SEA - IAH - PHL for $210 end of Feb. IAD SJC is good in February.

Good luck and keep us NOVA/DC FTrs posted if you find anything interesting, including International.

Poss
Old Jan 23, 2014, 11:52 am

Programs: AA PLT, Club Carlson GLD, IHG Spire, Lifemiles GLD, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Poss
I too live in NOVA - 5 minutes from IAD
We must be neighbors.

How do you normally get to BWI?
Old Jan 23, 2014, 12:26 pm

I still find the best way to get OUT to BWI is amtrak/MARC. Sometimes, coming back from BWI into DC, I often grab the B30 bus to Greenbelt Metro if it's arriving soonish (use the NextBus website to check)

If it's really late at night, sometimes I use a priceline/hotwire one way rental car BWI-DCA that can sometimes be as little as $20-25 all in, and just return that to DCA the next day at my leisure.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 3:32 pm

Programs: PMUA
Is it me or did Marc change their schedule, but last time I took Marc train it from BWI stop it took me damn 45 minutes to Union station, instead of 15 mins by Northeast Regional.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 3:33 pm

Programs: PMUA
Originally Posted by zgringo14
We must be neighbors.

How do you normally get to BWI?
I live 7 miles from IAD, in beautiful Chantilly,VA
Old Jan 24, 2014, 7:50 am

Programs: American, Delta, JetBlue, United
Originally Posted by Karlson
Is it me or did Marc change their schedule, but last time I took Marc train it from BWI stop it took me damn 45 minutes to Union station, instead of 15 mins by Northeast Regional.
MARC changed its schedule significantly last month, by adding weekend trains on the Penn Line, which serves BWI. Until then, there was no weekend service. Now there are 9 trains in each direction on Saturdays and 6 on Sundays. The trip to Union Station takes about 45 minutes if the train makes all the intermediate stops. Express trains (of which there are few) take 26 minutes.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 8:27 am

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Kimpton IC; IHG Diamond Ambassador;
Lately, I haven't seen much of anything ex-DCA on UA.

Last year; however, there were some great PDX and SEA deals (~$160 RT) from DCA (via IAH). There was also that DCA-EWR-IST RT for ~$400. And not too long ago, there were ~$200 RTs to SJU from DCA.

They come up from time-to-time, but as others mentioned, you're much better off looking from IAD and BWI, or even ZFV for good MRs.
Old Jan 25, 2014, 2:40 pm

Programs: united
Hey Neighbors, I NEVER take public transportation. I usually have a line in on parking or leverage LT (cost vs. risk on trains = NO PUBLC TRAINS) so only cost is fuel to BWI and torture going through "The People's Republic of Maryland"

Keep us posted on any sweet MR deals...sounds like above FTer had great luck last year. I really need something International.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 11:16 am

Just joined here. I have been reading here for couple of years now. never got to the point that i need to dig around for deals. 2014 seems to be really difficult to find good stuff on UA. I did the LAS run couple of weeks ago but have not been able to find anything else out WAS in general.

I'm looking forward to see what people findings are on UA.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 11:36 am

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM; former GS
What happened to OP? FT community left 27 replies (some even helpful) and he is nowhere to be found in the discussion.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by Chrisfb1
2014 seems to be really difficult to find good stuff on UA. I did the LAS run couple of weeks ago but have not been able to find anything else out WAS in general.
I've been searching WAS to SAN, PDX, SJU, ANC, PHX, SNA, etc. No luck. Deals have really dried up, but maybe we're not in season yet...
Old Jan 29, 2014, 1:08 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, UA 1K, WN CP, Marriott Gold
BWI Segment Run

This is for those that need cheap segments ($30 a pop for 4 segs, or 2k miles w/ 500 mins) out of BWI...

Multiple dates for BWI-EWR-BOS same day turns in Feb, mostly Tues-Wed, but Sat 2/8 is available as well for $120 a/i.

Mock itin -

Wed Feb. 12th:
5:30am-6:26am BWI-EWR 7:15am-8:29am EWR-BOS
9:34am-10:59am BOS-EWR 12:00pm-1:07pm EWR-BWI

And only 1 RJ45 on this mock-up!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.