Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

Need advice on MR to Ireland (Shannon)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2013, 6:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: united

Taking MR for 1K to Shannon Ireland Airport on 12/28.

I only have two hours in between landing and taking off. Will I have to go through customs or is there a holding area?

Just realized that’s a small window of time and certainly don’t want to miss my return flight.

Any thoughts?
Old Dec 23, 2013, 6:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Poss

I only have two hours in between landing and taking off. Will I have to go through customs or is there a holding area?

Just realized that’s a small window of time and certainly don’t want to miss my return flight.

Any thoughts?
To clarify, traveling IAD EWR SNN and returning SNN EWR IAD, no additional hops - it's a flight over the pond and back
Old Dec 24, 2013, 9:19 am
Original Poster

Mileage run and immigration

Need help/advice please.

I'm doing a mileage run through Ireland (EWR-SNN-EWR) and only have two hours between flights.

What would be most efficient process to expedite landing, immigration, checking in, pre clearance, and making flight in that short time period??? Help.

Thank you and Happy Holidays
Old Dec 24, 2013, 9:41 am

Programs: AA-EXP, BAEC Silver, Hyatt-Globalist, Hilton-gold, SPG-gold
Make sure to get off the plane as soon as possible. Pack light. Walk as fast as you can to immigration to beat the other passengers (no stopping to use the bathroom!)
Old Dec 24, 2013, 10:04 am

Originally Posted by smitty06
Make sure to get off the plane as soon as possible. Pack light. Walk as fast as you can to immigration to beat the other passengers (no stopping to use the bathroom!)
Does SNN require you to enter Ireland, or can you proceed directly to US Pre clearance?
Old Dec 24, 2013, 10:09 am

Programs: DL Platinum, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Peregrinus
Does SNN require you to enter Ireland, or can you proceed directly to US Pre clearance?
I don't know about SNN, only DUB, but either way, I've never had it take more than 30 minutes to pass immigration and customs in Ireland. I wouldn't worry about making it unless your flight is late arriving.
Old Dec 24, 2013, 2:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by brettalb
I don't know about SNN, only DUB, but either way, I've never had it take more than 30 minutes to pass immigration and customs in Ireland. I wouldn't worry about making it unless your flight is late arriving.
Doesn't the same plane turn around? If it's late it likely will be a slightly late departure.

Anyway, I don't believe there's a transit option in Shannon without immigration - it's your entry to the EU. That said, you should be okay.
Old Dec 24, 2013, 2:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by brettalb
IME, UA24 is on the same aircraft as UA25, as in the aircraft makes a turn at SNN to head back to EWR - this eliminates some (but not all) of the late arrival problems, as the plane has to be refueled, loaded, etc...
Old Dec 24, 2013, 6:05 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K, Marriott Platinum, Frontier, Delta, Hertz Gold, National Emerald Club
Is there no way just to avoid customs in this case? I know they used to have international connections in SNN, but I haven't flown there in 2 decades so my data is stale.
There are lots of airports where if you are just making a connection, you don't have to clear customs, get a visa or even a passport (though I don't think the airline would let you board a plane w/o a passport).
If "NO" to my original question, then the best advice was given above . . . get off the plane first and briskly head to the customs line. It makes a huge difference.
AND . . . if you plane is on time, it'll actually arrive earlier than the stated landing time, which will give you more than 2 hours regardless of customs requirements.
Old Dec 24, 2013, 9:54 pm

according to SNN's website you must be at USCBP preclearance no later than 1 hour before departure time
Old Dec 25, 2013, 9:29 pm

Programs: AS, AA Gold, and Hilton
Originally Posted by Poss

Any thoughts?
My wife and I did the same turn 2 years ago on Delta 1hr 50 minutes. When we got off the plane we asked the agent where ticketing was. Her answer was oh the Miller's. She walked us to ticketing who had our tickets already printed. Then walked us to security which took 5 minutes. She had 45 minutes to shop in the stores and spent $500 before boarding. So no problem they are used to MR's according to what they told us. Good luck and have fun.
Old Dec 25, 2013, 11:03 pm

Originally Posted by jjmiller69
My wife and I did the same turn 2 years ago on Delta 1hr 50 minutes. When we got off the plane we asked the agent where ticketing was. Her answer was oh the Miller's. She walked us to ticketing who had our tickets already printed. Then walked us to security which took 5 minutes. She had 45 minutes to shop in the stores and spent $500 before boarding. So no problem they are used to MR's according to what they told us. Good luck and have fun.
So did you have to enter Ireland or was it a transfer desk where you received the ticket?
Old Dec 26, 2013, 4:15 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Plat for Life, ex BD Gld (RIP)
Whenever I did it, I had to enter Ireland. However, there's no need for stress. I had time to go through immigration, pick up return BP landside (in the days when AA flew the route), have breakfast in the restaurant upstairs landside and then go through security/US pre-clearance.

As previous poster said, if you are late arriving, you will probably be late leaving.
Old Dec 30, 2013, 6:43 pm

Programs: AS, AA Gold, and Hilton
Originally Posted by Peregrinus
So did you have to enter Ireland or was it a transfer desk where you received the ticket?
We went with the GA to ticketing and then had to go to US customs which was like the old days before TSA precheck. Put shoes and carryons on the conveyor belt and metal detector. All of it took maybe 15 minutes.
Let us know how yours turned out.

Last edited by jjmiller69; Dec 30, 2013 at 9:25 pm
Old Jan 1, 2014, 1:48 pm
Original Poster

Update...Many thanks to all for your feedback. Evereything worked just fine. Flight was early, rushed to Immigration, disclosed that I was on MR, and officer proceeded to smile and send me on my way...total amount of time = 2 minutes. In fact, guy behind me was doing exact same thing from SFO .

US Pre Clearance was not open but as soon as they did I was in line and went through with out any issue. Had additional time to duty free shop, enjoy lounge, then jump back on plane for return to US.

In addition, I had Global Entry which also cut down processing big time - strongly encourage International Travelers to apply.

Again, thanks to all for your help and advice! I'm now a UA Premier 1K looking for MR in February and March so as to avoid December inflated fares!

Happy New Year to all my FTer Friends!

Poss

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.