Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

Get out of SIN during Chinese New Year?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2013, 2:59 am
Original Poster

Since it costs me $400 (20-30cpm!) to get off the island to any local resort destination (HKT, DPS), I might as well take that money for a *A (UA MP) MR. Seeking help to construct a MR for Feb 8 through Feb 12, ex-SIN.

I've tried the usual suspects of UA hubs, NRT, HKG, HNL, ORD, SFO, IAH, IAD, EWR. Everything's coming up at >10cpm.

Also tried going west to Europe, CDG, LHR, MAD, BCN, IST, ZUH. Those, too, are coming up in the >10cpm range as well.

Any other suggestions on routes or ways to find more MR opportunities? Been scouring MR Tools forum and couldn't find any tool that helps find MR where dates and departure airport are fixed.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 9:09 am

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Originally Posted by SKYravefever
Since it costs me $400 (20-30cpm!) to get off the island to any local resort destination (HKT, DPS), I might as well take that money for a *A (UA MP) MR. Seeking help to construct a MR for Feb 8 through Feb 12, ex-SIN.

I've tried the usual suspects of UA hubs, NRT, HKG, HNL, ORD, SFO, IAH, IAD, EWR. Everything's coming up at >10cpm.

Also tried going west to Europe, CDG, LHR, MAD, BCN, IST, ZUH. Those, too, are coming up in the >10cpm range as well.

Any other suggestions on routes or ways to find more MR opportunities? Been scouring MR Tools forum and couldn't find any tool that helps find MR where dates and departure airport are fixed.
Just curious as I am going to be in SIN for Chinese New Year is it crazy and thats why you want to leave or just that you have time off?
Old Jan 11, 2013, 6:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cruisr:20024960
Just curious as I am going to be in SIN for Chinese New Year is it crazy and thats why you want to leave or just that you have time off?
It's my first CNY here, but I've heard from colleagues that it's really dead here since all shops are closed. The Chinese tradition is to get together and meet family. Since my folks are back in the States, and everything's closed for the 4 day weekend, I'm looking to get out of here.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 7:23 am

Programs: TG*G, SQ, QF
I hear your pain.! Unfortunately SIN as an origin is expensive and has pretty sparse pickings for MR opportunities.

Usual method is to look for opportunities ex BKK, CMB or MNL and then get a cheap positioning flight on one of the LCC's. Its a pity, you have just missed the Emirates promo $398RT AI to CMB that ended Jan 10th. MNL sometimes has good prices on the UA pacific puddle jumper (have seen it around $2k RT for Business (ie, First on domestic config 737 they use..))
Old Jan 12, 2013, 1:53 pm

Programs: AA LTPLT UA1P Hilton Dia Marriott Plat
SQ Suites to LHR
Old Jan 12, 2013, 7:38 pm

It's my first CNY here, but I've heard from colleagues that it's really dead here since all shops are closed. The Chinese tradition is to get together and meet family. Since my folks are back in the States, and everything's closed for the 4 day weekend, I'm looking to get out of here.
i fear you might be misinformed. it's like saying nyc is dead during christmas. esp for a first timer, one might enjoy the many activities, from lion dances in chinatown to all sorts of parties in town. many non-singaporeans also visit singaporeans to catch up on local culture.
so if your mr reason is to get out of a dead town, imho it'd be a mistake.
if your mr is to take advantage of a 4-day weekend, that's different.
sounds like the best bet is to position yourself to any of the nearby hubs (BKK, MNL being the most obvious). but even positioning is expensive during cny, since many singaporeans take their vacations to these places, so it's not necessary the best time to do an mr.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 8:45 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the pointers, all, esp. the recommendation to LHR in Suites! MR's out of SIN do appear far and few between, and positioning flights for CNY is beaucoup bucks. Guess I just need to pounce on them whenever one pops up.

cmdsea - FWIW, that Emirates deal is still available, but only on a Friday (or before) out. Priced it on Emirates, S$435/pax. Not bad, but sadly, I can't take that Friday off. :/

GraceC - I might end up experiencing CNY here first hand, so thanks for those local tips.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 4:03 pm

Programs: | *G | STE | HGP ♦ | SPG Au | MR Au
Originally Posted by GraceC
i fear you might be misinformed. it's like saying nyc is dead during christmas. esp for a first timer, one might enjoy the many activities, from lion dances in chinatown to all sorts of parties in town. many non-singaporeans also visit singaporeans to catch up on local culture.
so if your mr reason is to get out of a dead town, imho it'd be a mistake.
if your mr is to take advantage of a 4-day weekend, that's different.
sounds like the best bet is to position yourself to any of the nearby hubs (BKK, MNL being the most obvious). but even positioning is expensive during cny, since many singaporeans take their vacations to these places, so it's not necessary the best time to do an mr.
The malls are still open, the cinemas are still open. The only difference is, they are almost always empty (that is very subjective, but I am comparing it to a normal weekend) during that time of year. Most restaurants are open but hawkers (Chinese) are usually closed.

Any MR you take, if you plan to fly back on the following Sunday (17th Feb), your ticket price will jump up significantly as many have plans to travel that weekend too.

If you can fly DL, during that period I know there are dates from SIN-MIA at about 6 cpm

Last edited by DHalltheway; Jan 15, 2013 at 4:12 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.