Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA MR from CLE/CAK/PIT

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2012, 9:37 am
formerly FrequentFlyKid
Original Poster

Programs: United Global Services, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, National Executive Elite
UA MR from CLE/CAK/PIT

I need help finding a mileage run out of CLE, CAK, or even PIT on UA (or partners) for a total of 9,400 PQM's. I would like to try and keep the price at around $500. I would prefer no overnight, but one night would be doable, especially on a weekend. Also do not mind doing more than one MR to reach the 9,400 while staying below my $500 or so budget.

Do this even sound possible? Most of you are much better at finding complicated routings, nested trips, etc. Thank you in advance!
Old Oct 20, 2012, 9:50 am
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
look at sfo/lax-sju via ewr, should get the mi....

or do 1 of your 3 start points-lax/sfo-sju, which ever is cheaper....

this seems to be hard to beat....

edit to add....look at all the threads on this 1st page....there are some on ua/us....maybe pick up something useful...

Last edited by clacko; Oct 20, 2012 at 10:02 am
Old Oct 20, 2012, 10:10 am

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
This actually pretty easy. You're only trying to beat 5.3 cp EQM. That's very doable. In fact, out of Ohio, you can frequently find <4 cpm.

Roughly anything that can be routed as CLE/CMH/PIT-EWR/IAD-SFO/LAX-XXX is going to yield about 6500-6800 EQMs. So it's just a matter of finding something with the schedule you want. Typically, I look for SAN,SNA,PHX,LAS,ONT,BUR as candidates. Right now, it seems that $340 is pretty common to SAN and that can be routed as I described, and thus hits the 5 cpm target. Of course, you can do much better if you can fly midweek, as there is a $289 fare to LAS (4.4 cpm) out there as well but it looks like mid-week.

Basically, you need to become friends with ITA! And then you'll have to figure out how to book double connection itins, either by figuring out ua.com or calling them in.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by hobo13; Oct 20, 2012 at 10:18 am
Old Oct 20, 2012, 10:14 am

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
And you can usually ignore CAK. The only UA route is via ORD, so you can't route to the east coast. (Now on rare occasions US does have something out of CAK.)

So yes, despite being DEN-based, I'm pretty familiar with MR's out of Ohio....
Old Oct 20, 2012, 10:20 am

Originally Posted by hobo13
This actually pretty easy. You're only trying to beat 5.3 cp EQM. That's very doable. In fact, out of Ohio, you can frequently find <4 cpm.

Roughly anything that can be routed as CLE/CMH/PIT-EWR/IAD-SFO/LAX-XXX is going to yield about 6800 EQMs. So it's just a matter of finding something with the schedule you want. Typically, I look for SAN,SNA,PHX,LAS,ONT,BUR as candidates. Right now, it seems that $340 is pretty common to SAN and that can be routed as I described, and thus hits the 5 cpm target. Of course, you can do much better if you can fly midweek, as there is a $289 fare (4.3 cpm) out there as well but it looks like mid-week.

Basically, you need to become friends with ITA! And then you'll have to figure out how to book double connection itins, either by figuring out ua.com or calling them in.

Hope that helps.
And you can usually ignore CAK. The only UA route is via ORD, so you can't route to the east coast. (Now on rare occasions US does have something out of CAK.)

So yes, despite being DEN-based, I'm pretty familiar with MR's out of Ohio....
This is excellent advice!^

UA: CLE-SEA looks good currently....
Old Oct 20, 2012, 10:32 am
formerly FrequentFlyKid
Original Poster

Programs: United Global Services, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, National Executive Elite
Thank you all. I am familiar with ITA and some of the semi-advanced langauge. Just never seem to be able to find what I am looking for I guess.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 10:41 am
formerly FrequentFlyKid
Original Poster

Originally Posted by clacko
look at sfo/lax-sju via ewr, should get the mi....

or do 1 of your 3 start points-lax/sfo-sju, which ever is cheaper....

this seems to be hard to beat....

edit to add....look at all the threads on this 1st page....there are some on ua/us....maybe pick up something useful...
How would I do SFO/LAX to SJU via EWR from CLE. Just buy a RT to SFO/LAX and start from there?
Old Oct 20, 2012, 12:54 pm
formerly FrequentFlyKid
Original Poster

Duplicate
Old Oct 20, 2012, 2:38 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
Originally Posted by FrequentFlyKid
How would I do SFO/LAX to SJU via EWR from CLE. Just buy a RT to SFO/LAX and start from there?
use multi city cle-sfo-sju-sfo-cle....its better to have 1 ticket in case of irrops to get orc... i would price it as 2 tickets to check the cost....
Old Oct 20, 2012, 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by clacko
use multi city cle-sfo-sju-sfo-cle....its better to have 1 ticket in case of irrops to get orc... i would price it as 2 tickets to check the cost....
I would not do it this way. I would book separate tickets, as it will be easier squeeze more miles out of CLE-SFO through a creative routing.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 11:50 am
formerly FrequentFlyKid
Original Poster

I would not do it this way. I would book separate tickets, as it will be easier squeeze more miles out of CLE-SFO through a creative routing.
So if I do it the way you suggest, then I would book CLE-SFO-CLE as a roundtrip and inside of that book SFO-SJU-SFO as a roundtrip?
Old Oct 21, 2012, 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by FrequentFlyKid
So if I do it the way you suggest, then I would book CLE-SFO-CLE as a roundtrip and inside of that book SFO-SJU-SFO as a roundtrip?
Yep.

But you need to understand the risks. As Clacko points out, it could be easier in the case of irrops to have it all on one itin.

But then again, I'm usually a risk taker..... who (used to) trust that the 1K line could fix anything that wx/mx could stir up!
Old Oct 22, 2012, 7:40 am

Programs: United Gold, Hilton Diamond,Marriott Gold
Curious as to what you find on the CLE-SFO-SJU-SFO-CLE route.

I did find CLE-IAD-SEA-IAD-SEA for $250 rt (5612 miles with min segs) on Nov 10 return red eye Nov10/11

I actually might do this. I live in PIT

I think this works out with min segs to 4.4 cpm
Old Oct 22, 2012, 11:26 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by PcolaPaul
Curious as to what you find on the CLE-SFO-SJU-SFO-CLE route.

I did find CLE-IAD-SEA-IAD-SEA for $250 rt (5612 miles with min segs) on Nov 10 return red eye Nov10/11

I actually might do this. I live in PIT

I think this works out with min segs to 4.4 cpm
I wish there was a shower in the airport in Seattle. SFO has one, but its much more expensive to do a MR to there. Just flew out of SEA last week.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 2:22 pm

Programs: United Gold, Hilton Diamond,Marriott Gold
I'm not sure if there is a shower at SEA? Maybe someone else knows?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.