Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[FARE GONE] DL: JFK-CPT 19.6k mile RT $710ai 3.98cpm 1/16-1/20 +BNA add-on

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[FARE GONE] DL: JFK-CPT 19.6k mile RT $710ai 3.98cpm 1/16-1/20 +BNA add-on

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2012, 8:57 pm

Programs: DL-PM/SC; UA-1K; HH Diamond
Does anyone know if there is a SkyTeam lounge in CPT? I checked on DL.com and there is nothing mentioned. I am just trying to figure out if I should get a cheap room ($50 at the Road Lodge) right next to the airport the afternoon/evening before my 00:20 departure, or if the airport is comfortable enough to hang out in before departure.
Old Jan 9, 2012, 9:12 pm

Programs: DL GM, AMEX Business Platinum, AMEX Delta Reserve, DL SkyClub Member, Choice PM
Originally Posted by bartmas777
Does anyone know if there is a SkyTeam lounge in CPT? I checked on DL.com and there is nothing mentioned. I am just trying to figure out if I should get a cheap room ($50 at the Road Lodge) right next to the airport the afternoon/evening before my 00:20 departure, or if the airport is comfortable enough to hang out in before departure.
KLM has a lounge at CPT:
Rennies Premier Lounge Terminal 2, International departure area, 1st floor.

http://www.klm.com/travel/us_en/prep..._locations.htm

A cheap room near the airport will be of great help in getting some good lie-flat sleep on a bed before the flight.
Old Jan 10, 2012, 2:52 pm

Programs: DL PM, AA Gold, A3 Gold, WN CP, and lots of points everywhere.
Booked mine a few days ago, fitting it into a work trip that I could use to position to DC.

Outbound
Fri Mar 2nd 6:10pm. IAD-AMS-CPT on KL652 and KL597. Arrive Mar 3 10:30pm.

Return
Fri Mar 5th 12:20am. CPT-AMS-IAD on KL598 and KL651. Arrive Mar 5 3:20pm.

Could have done an immediate turn but a day in Cape Town was hard to turn down. Not sure what I'll do with my day there but there are a few things we didn't get to during our November visit. Great mileage run.
Old Jan 10, 2012, 8:52 pm

Can't seem to book this fare on Delta.com

I would be in if I could (..and use a cert)
Old Jan 11, 2012, 6:50 am

Programs: DL-PM/SC; UA-1K; HH Diamond
I never could get it to pull up correctly on DL.com. The DL site was always about $200 more. There have been reports of it working on DL, but after a long time messing with it, I gave up and went to the KLM site and booked there. I would select the same flights, made sure they were KL flight numbers, but it would still come back higher.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 7:01 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by w0r1dtrave1er

Use the cert later. Book it on KLM.com or some third party site.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 7:12 am

I was able to book at Delta.com using vouchers. Here are my observations.

Find your itinerary using ITA. Go to delta.com and get to the multi-city page. Make sure to choose Schedule as "What's more imporrtant to you?" Fill in your flights. During the selection process, make sure to choose the KLM numbered flights even if the Delta numbered flights are presented.

In my case, I didn't even include the AMS as a connection in the multi-city page. I just did IAD-CPT and CPT-IAD. To confirm that I remembered correctly, I just double checked the same dates I booked vs. ITA and the KLM flights (via Delta.com) are $996 while Delta's are $2020. Obviously the price went up a bit but the technique appeared to work.

That said, there were two things I recalled:
1) No matter how many times I tried I couldn't get an immediate turn (arrive 10:30pm, depart 12:20am) to price at Delta.com. Fine with me as a day in CPT is a nice break from the plane.
2) After my initial search, it would often return and say the class selected was invalid (presumably related to my selecting "Schedule"). Then I'd just hit search again it it would work.

So, not perfect but it definitely worked for me.

Hope this helps.

Originally Posted by w0r1dtrave1er

Old Jan 11, 2012, 10:02 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by msp2msy
I was able to book at Delta.com using vouchers. Here are my observations.

Find your itinerary using ITA. Go to delta.com and get to the multi-city page. Make sure to choose Schedule as "What's more imporrtant to you?" Fill in your flights. During the selection process, make sure to choose the KLM numbered flights even if the Delta numbered flights are presented.

In my case, I didn't even include the AMS as a connection in the multi-city page. I just did IAD-CPT and CPT-IAD. To confirm that I remembered correctly, I just double checked the same dates I booked vs. ITA and the KLM flights (via Delta.com) are $996 while Delta's are $2020. Obviously the price went up a bit but the technique appeared to work.

That said, there were two things I recalled:
1) No matter how many times I tried I couldn't get an immediate turn (arrive 10:30pm, depart 12:20am) to price at Delta.com. Fine with me as a day in CPT is a nice break from the plane.
2) After my initial search, it would often return and say the class selected was invalid (presumably related to my selecting "Schedule"). Then I'd just hit search again it it would work.

So, not perfect but it definitely worked for me.

Hope this helps.
If your ticket priced at $996 without the vouchers, you just lost your voucher money. I too have devlta e-certs, which I will use on something else.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 11:07 am

Originally Posted by Yaatri
If your ticket priced at $996 without the vouchers, you just lost your voucher money. I too have devlta e-certs, which I will use on something else.
One of us isn't following each other...

My final purchase, using the technique I described and acknowleding that an immediate turn wouldn't price, was for the low $800 range before vouchers. 2 vouchers applied to the purchase and all looks good. It also happened to fit nicely into a positioning I could make to IAD in conjunction with a work trip and I had very few weekends available to work with.

That was quite close to the lowest fares mentioned in this thread. In fact, if I was willing to do the CPT-JNB comair leg, I was very, very close to duplicating the lowest cost I saw recently of ~$754 but it didn't fit my schedule.

The $996 price I mentioned here was just an example that I was duplicating KLM pricing that was purchasable via delta.com and just happened to be the current price for my exact itinerary (if purchased today). As I said, it's risen. I shouldn't have confused matters with that price. I was just lazy and illustrating the method.

I just took a moment to search for a lower cost mileage run to CPT and see it's fallen a bit... E.g.:
IAD-AMS-CPT on 1/29/12. 6:10pm-10:30pm (arrive Jan 30).
CPT-AMS-IAD on 1/31/12. 12:20am-3:20pm (arrive Jan 31).

Prices at $740.60 on ITA. Just confirmed that I can price it on delta.com and get to the "Review and Purchase" screen. Interestingly, this contradicts my prior experience that I couldn't get an immediate turn to price as the above includes all of 1:50 in CPT and did pull up.

Anyway, I'm happy with the deal I've locked in given my constraints and thought I'd reconfirm to those here that you CAN price this on delta.com and use vouchers. I did and it looks like I still can. I hope others that need vouchers are encouraged to keep trying. I know I would not be taking this run without the ability to have used vouchers.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 12:07 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by msp2msy
One of us isn't following each other...

My final purchase, using the technique I described and acknowleding that an immediate turn wouldn't price, was for the low $800 range before vouchers. 2 vouchers applied to the purchase and all looks good. It also happened to fit nicely into a positioning I could make to IAD in conjunction with a work trip and I had very few weekends available to work with.

That was quite close to the lowest fares mentioned in this thread. In fact, if I was willing to do the CPT-JNB comair leg, I was very, very close to duplicating the lowest cost I saw recently of ~$754 but it didn't fit my schedule.

The $996 price I mentioned here was just an example that I was duplicating KLM pricing that was purchasable via delta.com and just happened to be the current price for my exact itinerary (if purchased today). As I said, it's risen. I shouldn't have confused matters with that price. I was just lazy and illustrating the method.
Thanks. I understand you now. After my previous post I tried what you suggested. I was able to get pricing on Delta.com to match the price shown on ITA down to the dollar. Thank you again. One can use one's vouchers e-certs right away.

If you can go and return through MSP, you get over 22000 miles.

Last edited by Yaatri; Jan 11, 2012 at 12:18 pm
Old Jan 11, 2012, 12:11 pm

Programs: DL DM; 2MM
Question deleted

Originally Posted by kyushuman
I ended up doing the same thing. Using 40K US Bank Flex Perks points that I'd been saving for a few years--a $773 ticket for "free". Should accrue 19,300 MQM and double that in RDM since I'm Gold.
Am doing IAD-AMS-CPT and CPT-JNB (SA)-AMS-IAD all on KLM long-haul.
Great job @:-).
I myself have been holding onto my 120+K Flexperks points for the opportune moment and this is one of them, me think !!!
Only 40K needed - airfare for free plus accrual - and stay with friends.

What more can one wish for ???

This will be my second trip to CPT within a 2-month period, but this time will make a stopover in Jo'burg for a couple of days to hook up with old friends in Pretoria ... it's gonna be epic

Last edited by Travelomania; Jan 11, 2012 at 5:42 pm Reason: to delete
Old Jan 11, 2012, 1:06 pm

Programs: DL DM 2MM - IHG Diamond
I have been reading the comments in this thread regarding safety, etc in Capetown. It was a total non-issue during my stop on a tour 5 years ago. I walked all over Capetown from the V&A Waterfront thru downtown and to the train station. I even walked back to my hotel (Holiday Inn) from my gig at a club on Somerset Road at 4am and didn't feel the least bit threatened. As in any city, use common sense and don't flash your Rolex around, but I felt VERY safe in Capetown.

Now Joburg is another issue....

BTW, for those looking for things to do, I highly recommend driving SOUTH on Chapman's Peak Drive along the Atlantic coast. It is some of the most spectacular scenery anywhere. Since there are few guardrails, driving southbound (on the left) is much easier for those that are skittish about driving off of a cliff. Photos and info can be found here.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 6:15 pm

Programs: DL DM; 2MM
Originally Posted by Yaatri
I was able to get pricing on Delta.com to match the price shown on ITA down to the dollar. Thank you again. One can use one's vouchers e-certs right away.
It might be that some flights will be bookable for the quoted ITA-price and itin on DL.com, but others will not pan out.

My flight search ended repeatedly and frustratingly with: Travel for the date you selected is not offered or not available. Check our worldwide timetable to see dates that this service operates. ... while I was able to book the same itin thru the big T
Old Jan 12, 2012, 10:42 am

Programs: UA, DL, Hilton etc.
Couldn't resist these sub $800 fares....Excited to fly on a MD-11 for the last time and an A380 for the first time on the same itinerary, IAD-ATL-YUL-AMS-CPT-JNB-CDG-JFK 1/27-31.

Booked on the O and could have added CDG-CMN/MAD/BCN/FCO/MAN-CDG stopover for an extra $50 or so.

StivStivSteve
Old Jan 12, 2012, 11:01 am

StivStivSteve, what was your total cost? I wonder if the YUL connection lowers YQ

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.