Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air Asia "true" $0 intra-Asia fares for summer 2009 travel

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2008, 4:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
Air Asia "true" $0 intra-Asia fares for summer 2009 travel

A thread on this surfaced in Budget Travel (credits to civicmon), but the deals are so incredible I thought it deserved more exposure (mods can swat me down if they disagree). While Air Asia is an LCC in SE Asia and not runnable for miles in itself, it's sometimes a vital piece in making an open jaw on another trans-pac airline work, or turning a RT sale fare to a place like SIN into a workable trip to BKK, etc. They can be a huge help in making trans-Pac mileage runs workable or getting you to a city/country you'd like to visit better than the ones where the MR deals are to.

From Nov. 12-16 they're doing a sale with lots of $0 fares and NO FUEL SURCHARGES to everywhere they go except the Air Asia X routes to Australia.

The big catch: Travel period is June 22-Oct.24. So you have to plan way in advance.

Still, the deals were so low I did speculative bookings based on likely dates for my summer trip in late July and early August. Here's what I got (converted to USD):

Clark-Kuala Lumpur one-way: $7.08 all-in (airport tax payable at airport)

Kuala Lumpur-Tawau (Borneo)-KL RT : $19.22 all-in (airport tax incl.)

Kuala Lumpur-Bangkok one-way: $15.31 all-in (airport tax incl.)

Bangkok-Jakarta-Bangkok RT: $33.89 all in (BKK airport tax incl)

So I'm gambling $75 I can get an itinerary framework allowing for at least some of the sidetrips to be taken. Lots of really great ones are possible if you can get to KUL, though they also serve a number of places from BKK and CGK.

The www.airasia.com site is absolutely getting hammered. I had to get in via the mobile.airasia.com site (from a desktop PC) to get decent response times and do the bookings.

Air Asia is a charge-for-everything ULCC with cattle-car seating, but their costs for bags and such are generally very reasonable and far less than what European and US ULCCs want.

Here's the handy availability chart out of BKK

And here's the one out of KUL

Last edited by RustyC; Nov 12, 2008 at 2:16 pm
Old Nov 12, 2008, 7:47 am

Programs: Alas, the Gravy Train Hath Ended...just happy to be an OW Sapphire and a ST Ivory...whatever
Unbelieveable....kinda hard to price out a connecting trip this far out, through. Especially for those of us CO folks who are unsure what to do with the *A deal coming up.
Old Nov 12, 2008, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
No free flights for the days I need in Sept.
Old Nov 12, 2008, 9:05 am

Programs: United 1kMM; AA EX Plat, Hilton Diamond and SPG Plat
nice find^ $50 for my RT SIN-HKT or BKK when SQ is over $500
Old Nov 12, 2008, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: aa/ua gold; mar titanium. SPG till I die.
Originally Posted by RustyC
A thread on this surfaced in Budget Travel (credits to civicmom)
grrr...

I've been playing around with this a lot. Why did my car decide to need a lot of work right now?

Not all dates are valid, gotta pick around. Off-peak flight times are the ones that have free tix so for overseas tourists it's pretty good, for locals trying to squeeze in weekend trips it's not always so good.

Flights BKK-SZX/MFM are only about $25 o/w, for example.
Old Nov 12, 2008, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
Oops, it's civicmon. Sorry.
Old Nov 12, 2008, 5:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: aa/ua gold; mar titanium. SPG till I die.
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows 98; PalmSource/Palm-D062; Blazer/4.5) 16;320x320)

no prob... pet peeve of mine.
Old Nov 13, 2008, 10:04 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, etc.
Thanks for sharing this over here rusty. Too bad they don't fly to Taipei.
Old Nov 14, 2008, 12:04 am

Programs: UA 1K, QF Plat, VA Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Coles FlyBuys
Originally Posted by civicmon
I must admit, it was a couple of years before I noticed your handle ended with an "n"... somehow it just tricks the brain.
Old Nov 14, 2008, 12:18 am
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
Here's a site to help you find Air Asia prices. It's a 3rd party site and checks 15 days of prices when you search, to help you find the right days.

www.airasiaplus.com

Once you find the right days, you have to return to the real Air Asia site to book.

I can't live without it. ^ to Air Asia.
Old Nov 14, 2008, 12:23 am

Thanks OP for sharing this. Kuala Lumpur-Clark(Philippines)-Kuala Lumpur-Phuket-Bangkok-Macau for under $100 with 2-5 day stays between flights. India could have been thrown in for under $40 rt but could not fit it in with the time available.
Old Nov 14, 2008, 1:57 am

Originally Posted by civicmon
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows 98; PalmSource/Palm-D062; Blazer/4.5) 16;320x320)

Do you drive a civic?

And to remain on topic...thank you OP.
Old Nov 15, 2008, 4:52 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, UA2MM, QF Platinum, VA Platinum., Volare Executive Club
A bit OT, but I see that Ryanair is currently holding a sale for 1GBP AI to many destinations in Europe.

I also noted that you can book HHN-BHX for 1 Euro all-in.

Oh, and it's for Dec-Jan (not the distant future), so you can plan for it now.

Don't belive me, just go check.

Old Nov 15, 2008, 6:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, MR Gold, Avis First
Thanks for sharing.

I've been trying to find a 4 day trip from Clark-Kuala Lumpur any time during the period but haven't been able to find any. 3 or 5 days is fine too. Any "tricks" to finding a time-frame?

I also found that the airasiaplus.com site isn't accurate with the pricing. It shows the "0" fare but isn't "0" at airasia.com.
Old Nov 16, 2008, 8:27 am

Programs: AA Gold, Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, AVIS Preferred, Hilton Diamond
I found a BKK-Surat Thani fare for next year in early September for $0 each way. The total fare is $12.24!! I have been looking for a way to get close to Koh Phagnon for the Half Moon party on the island next year!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.