AA: GRU-SEA | $384 ai RT | 14,404 EQM | 2.6CPM

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA: GRU-SEA | $384 ai RT | 14,404 EQM | 2.6CPM

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2015, 9:43 am

Programs: UA Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Plat,
Visa not required to transit at GIG at least. I booked a RT JFK-GIG a while back but could not get the visa in time. Ended up booking GIG-SCL on separate LA ticket and was able to transit by showing the GIG-SCL boarding pass to agent at JFK. When I got to GIG, I simply told the rep at the gate that I was transiting and they let me walk up the gate to the terminal. Nobody checked any papers, no security, etc. This worked twice (ex JFK and SCL flights)

In theory, I could have made an LA award booking and canceled before leaving JFK. Not sure this would work in GRU (officially, they say no per expertflyer, but the reps I spoke with at GIG said it was possible at GRU).
Old Dec 2, 2015, 6:55 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Marriott Silver
Should probably post this in a separate thread (mod please feel free if this is inappropriate!), but I found this:

PHL-BOS-LAX-MIA-GRU-LAX-BOS-PHL
Book as separate itineraries PHL-LAX roundtrip, out Dec. 11, back Dec. 13, LAX-GRU roundtrip, out Dec 12, back Dec. 13. Total cost is $867 ($352 + $515) / 4.7 cpm (4.6 cpm if 500 mile minimums are included) on 18,336 miles

Not terrible for 10 days out, for anyone who needs a bunch of miles. A little sad that I have plans that weekend or I might be going on a whirlwind MR!
Old Dec 3, 2015, 11:19 pm

FYI: I'm seeing this to YVR for about $560 as well.
Old Dec 4, 2015, 12:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by john_markd
I wouldn't roll this dice. They're sticklers for visas in Brazil (going and coming) and love to turn away people that don't have paperwork. Even if you're technically correct, in Brazil it often comes down to who you're face to face with and what kind of mood they're in.
Most countries are sticklers about visas. The US (and UK) lead the field in sticklerity

Generally, if you need a visa, then, well, you need a visa. Transit visas are for transits: returning to origin isn't within the usual definition of transit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.