Wiki Posts
Search

AA: BOS-ANC with 2x ANC visits via LAX+PHX $795 (16,225+ EQM, 4.9 CPM) ai RT

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2015, 4:16 pm
E55
Original Poster

AA: BOS-ANC with 2x ANC visits via LAX+PHX $795 (16,225+ EQM, 4.9 CPM) ai RT

Another fun one for someone in need of a massive number of miles... and doesn't want to leave the country to do so... and needs to do it in a rather short turn.

Do you sleep well on planes, and suspect that ICE would give you a hard time getting back through Immigration, yet you want to keep your AA status for 2016? This might be for you.

Visit Anchorage twice on this run from BOS, currently showing for $795 in this example.

http://goo.gl/flights/5m89

Pros:
Massive number of domestic-only miles
Short turn, relatively
(Example: A Wednesday morning through Friday early eve)
No extended layovers
No visa required (as you might assume)
Some extended legs to catch up on sleep
No tight connections
Not hotel costs to add

Cons:
A lot of hopping around in the middle
Some (but not a lot of) time to freshen up (a bigger con for your seatmates)

That's a lot of pros.

E
Old Sep 18, 2015, 4:29 pm

My con is that there is no in-seat power.
Old Sep 18, 2015, 4:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP
This appears to be:

BOS-ANC (nested ANC-LAX-ANC)-BOS

BOS-ANC is pricing for $560 and ANC-LAX is pricing $260

So there are some fees not being paid because of the short turns. The struggle will be getting this to price.

AA.com tends to have difficulties with short cx priced via the multi-flight search tool (which is essentially what google flights uses). I often try to force a cx in JFK, and get a fare through gf which is not able to be priced on aa.com or elsewhere, though YMMV.

What I would suggest is sticking to BOS-LAX-PHX-ANC-LAX-PHX-BOS, which prices for $545, around 4.9 cpm.

I've taken these flights before, and they.are.terrible. Even in first those late night flights out of ANC suck. Drugs will be your friend here.
Old Sep 18, 2015, 4:40 pm
E55
Original Poster

I like that suggestion. 10k miles for ~$560 with no downtime seems good, too.

Just have to pick the connection in PHX on the way back instead of ORD to make the miles number.

http://goo.gl/flights/Iw1E

E
Old Sep 18, 2015, 4:43 pm

Seems like you can just do it on a Thursday -> Sunday thing too if you want to visit the beautiful place that is Alaska. Neat.
Old Sep 18, 2015, 4:46 pm
E55
Original Poster

What FlightWhite said http://goo.gl/flights/W9Wq ... a good one.

E
Old Sep 18, 2015, 7:29 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, CC Gold, SPG Gold, AA Exec Platinum
Works from NYC too for 550. Can't seem to get 16.5k eqm the OP mentions though.

Nevermind, reread flightwhites explaination and OP's couldn't price on AA.
Old Sep 18, 2015, 8:03 pm
E55
Original Poster

I think it will price in the ballpark if it doesn't price for the 795 shown on Google.

The point being.... if international is out of the question, that original route would be pretty dense without much flab.

Or break it up into two like WhiteFlight suggests and get 20k domestic for ~$1100.

E
Old Sep 19, 2015, 3:16 am

Programs: Delta Plat, former AA EXP, AS Gold, SPG Gold, IHG Plat.
The BOS-ANC itinerary is a good route for a MR but there have generally been better deals than this from AA. During the off-season AA has often had fare sales in the $450 range, with a CPM around 4.2 or better. As noted, routing through LAX maximizes your miles, but BOS-DFW-SEA-ANC is almost as good, and is a more typical routing.

For Delta/Skyteam and United flyers BOS-ANC has been available for around $415 for some time now, and currently can be had for as little as $370 RT. Routing is a bit more direct, but you may be able to improve the CPM with a little futzing.

Also, if you go that far you ought to poke around for a day or 2. Off-season rental cars are quite reasonable and Alaska is an interesting and, outside the city, a beautiful place.
Old Sep 28, 2015, 11:40 pm

Programs: AA Exp, United Silver, Delta Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Is this fare gone ? I am seeing this in GFlights but unable to book.
Old Sep 29, 2015, 12:11 am

Originally Posted by fnuhenry
Is this fare gone ? I am seeing this in GFlights but unable to book.
I don't know about the BOS to ANC, but since you are in DFW, you could do DFW-LAX-PHX-ANC-PHX-LAX-DFW leaving on Nov 3 and landing back in DFW Nov 4 in the afternoon for $410. If my math is correct that is 8298 miles at $0.05/mile.

http://goo.gl/flights/qiqW

American let me book it.
Old Sep 29, 2015, 12:19 am

Programs: status free since 2017
Fairly solid work there. Price has gone up a smidge but not too bad.

A major pro that you forgot to mention - this is all AA metal! This could be a fun ride for an EXP who doesn't mind changing planes.

Also, one major con - WX will bring it down like house of cards. Better have your A-game with expertflyer. With so many back-n-forth any agent will be confused and will probably route you to final destination. Not sure how are they treating ORC request post-merger.
Old Sep 29, 2015, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Great MR - too bad it prices out ridiculously in F. I'm going for EQP and even adding on BWI-BOS and back on each end still keeps me at 20k. I'm needing 30k EQMs for 23k EQPs.

F prices out at nearly $3k on this route. Ouch!
Old Sep 29, 2015, 7:42 pm

Programs: AA Exp, United Silver, Delta Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by 5111
I don't know about the BOS to ANC, but since you are in DFW, you could do DFW-LAX-PHX-ANC-PHX-LAX-DFW leaving on Nov 3 and landing back in DFW Nov 4 in the afternoon for $410. If my math is correct that is 8298 miles at $0.05/mile.

http://goo.gl/flights/qiqW

American let me book it.

Thank you.

I am trying to do a domestic MR to gain 20k EQM for 800$ to 900$. Any ideas.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by fnuhenry
Thank you.

I am trying to do a domestic MR to gain 20k EQM for 800$ to 900$. Any ideas.
I was given SFO-JFK-SJU-JFK-SFO on another thread here. It prices out around $800 in C (works in either direction), with the lie flats between SFO and JFK. That ends up being around just under 17k. You'll just need to either get to SJU or SFO to start it, which can be the 20k you need. I think DFW-SJU is just over 2k one way, so if you can find a 1 EQP fare, or are just qualifying on miles, you can be good to go.

I'm in that boat too. I need 23.5k EQPs. Would have had them on a trip in F to ICN, but life happened and I had to cancel that trip. Now I need to make it up. /sigh

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.