Wiki Posts
Search

BA LAX-JNB 4.19 cpm/22K miles

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2015, 6:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold
BA LAX-JNB 4.19 cpm/22K miles

Found this on the Amex site. I have a ton of Amex points I'm trying to book a MR with and 99% of the time the flights on the Amex flight are worse than Google flights, but in this case I found one that dropped $250 once I went to the next step. Seems like a pretty solid deal to me.

I'll get 100% AA eqm, get to fly on A380s for 3/4 legs and get to check out South Africa. Anything I'm missing?

Anyone have any pros/cons from visiting JNB?

LAX-LHR-JNB-LHR-LAX
$929
22K miles
4.19 cpm
11/25-29
Old Aug 21, 2015, 6:56 pm

Programs: AA,BA
Book away! I can't comment on visiting JNB..all I can say is good find, nice Thanksgiving getaway. Safe travels!
Old Aug 21, 2015, 8:05 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Thanks for this. Looks like JBN it is to make EP.
Old Aug 22, 2015, 8:33 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, A3 Gold, SPG Gold, HHonors Diamond, former UA Premier Executive
Unless you're really trying to save your cash and have MR points to burn, if you buy this from the BA website you should be able to use the 10% off from the credit card (they don't actually check to see if you have or not) and the $65 off for AARP (which the membership only costs like $16) bringing it down to under $800 and around 3.5 cpm.

Obviously this isn't the right forum for this discussion, but booking through Amex's flight portal is a terrible redemption rate compared to what you could get by transferring and redeeming for international premium awards.
Old Aug 22, 2015, 2:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA LT Gold, SPG Plat 75
Originally Posted by noreservations
Unless you're really trying to save your cash and have MR points to burn, if you buy this from the BA website you should be able to use the 10% off from the credit card (they don't actually check to see if you have or not) and the $65 off for AARP (which the membership only costs like $16) bringing it down to under $800 and around 3.5 cpm.

Obviously this isn't the right forum for this discussion, but booking through Amex's flight portal is a terrible redemption rate compared to what you could get by transferring and redeeming for international premium awards.
How do you save 10% from the BA credit card? edit: n/m found it via google search

Last edited by Phasers; Aug 22, 2015 at 2:37 pm
Old Aug 22, 2015, 6:20 pm

Programs: AA-ex EXP, PLT, LTG, MVP-Gold, UA-Silver, SPG-LTG, PLT, HH-D, Hyatt-D,
Multiple options available !

I don't have Amex points, but what I do know if you join AARP (Anyone can), and pay 16 $ fees, you can get up to 65$ off or a staggered % that can drop your ticket rate quite a bit

I live in Austin, so I can actually go from Austin using BA, and credit the points to AA.

Never been to Jo'berg , but its on my bucket list, so I would go for it

Originally Posted by Youngtraveldude
Found this on the Amex site. I have a ton of Amex points I'm trying to book a MR with and 99% of the time the flights on the Amex flight are worse than Google flights, but in this case I found one that dropped $250 once I went to the next step. Seems like a pretty solid deal to me.

I'll get 100% AA eqm, get to fly on A380s for 3/4 legs and get to check out South Africa. Anything I'm missing?

LAX-LHR-JNB-LHR-LAX
$929
22K miles
4.19 cpm
11/25-29
Old Aug 22, 2015, 6:52 pm
Original Poster

I have a ton of Amex points so that's why I was eager to use them. I realize I could have saved a few bucks by not booking via Amex but in the end I got a 22K/4.19 cpm MR that will likely be what I need to hit EXP and I paid $0 ��. Thanks for the heads up on the AARP and credit card piece on BA's website. Good to know for next time...
Old Aug 23, 2015, 6:31 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott
I have a ton of Amex points so that's why I was eager to use them. I realize I could have saved a few bucks by not booking via Amex but in the end I got a 22K/4.19 cpm MR that will likely be what I need to hit EXP and I paid $0 ��. Thanks for the heads up on the AARP and credit card piece on BA's website. Good to know for next time...
how many points did you need for that tix?
Old Aug 23, 2015, 9:07 am

LAX-LHR-JNB-LHR-LAX
$929
22K miles
4.19 cpm
11/25-29
Wife and I visited Capetown, Victoria Falls, and Johannesburg early last year. Only problems were in Joburg: ATM card was literally stolen out of my hand without my realizing it by a friendly local "helping" me use the machine. Watch out, especially near a bank with multiple ATMs out front in a busy shopping mall. Other problem was a private guide who crashed our rental car, leaving it barely drivable to get back to our hotel.
Old Aug 23, 2015, 10:33 am
Original Poster

It was 93K points as the fare was $930 USD
Old Aug 24, 2015, 2:46 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold

I have been thinking of going to JNB too, and only see pro's. The visa program with the US is great ^
Old Aug 25, 2015, 11:43 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Madone59
I have been thinking of going to JNB too, and only see pro's. The visa program with the US is great ^
I wrote several long posts over the past 3 years in the annual IAH-JNB mileage run post. South Africa is even better now as the Rand just crossed 13:1 to USD. It is incredibly cheap to visit. I always go over to Kruger. I'm taking full family there in November. I'm going to book myself on 2 mini-safari's for January and March likely as well to make sure I hit EXP next year. Stacking the Chase & AARP discounts make the deal insanely cheap.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.