Search

UA: YVR-SJU: 3.88cpm, 9.9k miles, 385USD

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2015, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: *G
UA: YVR-SJU: 3.88cpm, 9.9k miles, 385USD

YVR-SFO-EWR-SJU-EWR-SFO-YVR, lots of dates/lengths in December for example.

Also possible on Delta via SLC+JFK, but only for like 4.4cpm.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 3:11 pm

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Might want to check the fine print there, boss.

- Note that the YVR-SFO leg is on AC's bone-crushing, 29"-seat-pitch Rouge spinoff.

- Virtually anyone who's flying ex-YVR will end up paying in Canadian dollars. With the exchange rate lodged firmly in the toilet, this is a $500 CAD fare.

- Regardless of currency, this ticket books into United fare class T + L, which only earn 50% miles, so you're looking at 4,978 status miles, and only 1,925 redeemable MP miles, or about 20 cpm.

- If you credit to Aeroplan, it's at least still distance-based, so it's 4,978 in both status-earning and redeemable miles, but at about 10 cpm, not 3.8.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yvrgary
Might want to check the fine print there, boss.

- Note that the YVR-SFO leg is on AC's bone-crushing, 29"-seat-pitch Rouge spinoff.

- Virtually anyone who's flying ex-YVR will end up paying in Canadian dollars. With the exchange rate lodged firmly in the toilet, this is a $500 CAD fare.

- Regardless of currency, this ticket books into United fare class T + L, which only earn 50% miles, so you're looking at 4,978 status miles, and only 1,925 redeemable MP miles, or about 20 cpm.

- If you credit to Aeroplan, it's at least still distance-based, so it's 4,978 in both status-earning and redeemable miles, but at about 10 cpm, not 3.8.
Just because it's in CAD doesn't mean the "efficiency" of the route isn't measured in USD... Otherwise there's really no way to compare :P Imagine I posted this as an ex-SEA fare, then it'd be legit to post it as USD and assuming crediting to UA? I'm pretty sure everyone posting mileage runs here doesn't go "oh but it's only 50% on AC so I'll double my cpm". Converting from a US-based deal to a CAD/AE-based deal is something someone will have to do when considering a deal, yes. Same way I have to do that whenever someone posts an ex-US deal.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 5:28 pm

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
YVR-SFO I think you can route on UA so it's just a normal A319/320. It's a good fare, it just sucks that the CAD is at all time lows. Still full PQM though.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 11:16 pm

Originally Posted by Smiley90
Just because it's in CAD doesn't mean the "efficiency" of the route isn't measured in USD... Otherwise there's really no way to compare :P Imagine I posted this as an ex-SEA fare, then it'd be legit to post it as USD and assuming crediting to UA? I'm pretty sure everyone posting mileage runs here doesn't go "oh but it's only 50% on AC so I'll double my cpm". Converting from a US-based deal to a CAD/AE-based deal is something someone will have to do when considering a deal, yes. Same way I have to do that whenever someone posts an ex-US deal.
Well, if you'd posted an ex-SEA fare, it would have applied mainly to Americans, I'm sure with the occasional Canuck willing to drive down and get on it.

...but a fare leaving from Canada is primarily relevant to Canadians, and 10 cpm is a weak deal for us just like it is for you.

I do think it's relevant that Aeroplan customers get much more out of this deal than United customers do, since we haven't yet moved to a revenue-based model for redeemable miles.

@ Keitherson - I hadn't looked at routing YVR-SFO on UA metal, may well be possible. Do the connection times line up?
Old Aug 18, 2015, 4:39 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
$500 CAD for this despite the 50% though is a nice price for a vacation. It's not an MR at all, but I went to SJU for 4-5 days earlier this year and had a great time.

But come on guys, Rouge isn't GOOD, but it's YVR-SFO it's like 2 hours, anyone with AC status can pick front row which offers lots more space anyone else, have 1 drink and you kinda stop noticing the pitch. I wouldn't wanna fly from YYZ-MBJ or some longer flights like that, but for such a short hop it's a walk in the park.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 4:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by drvannostren
$500 CAD for this despite the 50% though is a nice price for a vacation. It's not an MR at all, but I went to SJU for 4-5 days earlier this year and had a great time.
Agree and found some ex YEG UA routes in Dec. for CAD$495 AI RT without getting too technical with advanced routings.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 12:34 am

100% agreed.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 1:36 am

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!

@ Keitherson - I hadn't looked at routing YVR-SFO on UA metal, may well be possible. Do the connection times line up?
Might be possible. I'm also seeing better connections (but less miles) flying eastbound directly.

Outbound flight
Wed, Dec 2

9:15 am – 5:26 pm
Vancouver (YVR) – Newark (EWR)
Air Canada 548 · Economy class · Airbus A319
Average legroom (79 cm)
5h 11m
In-seat & USB power
On-demand video
No Wi-Fi
Layover in Newark EWR2h 34m

8:00 pm – 12:58 am+1
Newark (EWR) – San Juan (SJU)
United 1238 · Economy class · Boeing 737
Average legroom (79 cm)
Often delayed by 30+ min
3h 58m
Wi-Fi
Stream to your device
Return flight
Sun, Dec 6

1:53 am – 5:10 am
San Juan (SJU) – Newark (EWR)
United 1803 · Economy class · Boeing 737
Average legroom (79 cm)
Overnight flight
4h 17m
Wi-Fi
Stream to your device
Layover in Newark EWR50m

6:00 am – 7:40 am
Newark (EWR) – Chicago (ORD)
United 2001 · Economy class · Airbus A320
Average legroom (76 cm)
2h 40m
Wi-Fi
Stream to your device
No in-seat power
Layover in Chicago ORD1h 25m

9:05 am – 11:29 am
Chicago (ORD) – Vancouver (YVR)
United 287 · Economy class · Boeing 737
Average legroom (79 cm)
4h 24m
Wi-Fi
Stream to your device
Ads
Book, save or share this flight
Total incl. taxes & fees for 1 adult · Additional bag fees may apply.
$502
Book with United
Marketed as UA 8100, UA 1238, UA 1803, UA 2001, UA 287
Old Aug 19, 2015, 4:13 pm

Has anyone got this to work with a crazy number of segments? I wouldn't mind going to PR again, but I think I need like 25 segs for next year from my leisure flying so it'd be sweet to bring this to 8-10 if possible YVR-SFO-DEN-EWR-SJU kinda thing.
Old Aug 20, 2015, 12:03 am

Has anyone got this to work with a crazy number of segments? I wouldn't mind going to PR again, but I think I need like 25 segs for next year from my leisure flying so it'd be sweet to bring this to 8-10 if possible YVR-SFO-DEN-EWR-SJU kinda thing.
^
I also have some segment-running to do, I've been trying to find a reasonable way to get down to LAS/LAX for those UA segments, but they're all long-haul.

Never mind this $80 transcon nonsense, I just want some $80 roundtrips LAS-LAX!
Old Aug 20, 2015, 2:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

ARGH I had this whole massive post prepared and it deleted it. Oh well. Here's what I found

YVR-SFO-ORD-EWR-SJU-IAH-AUS-DEN-SFO-YVR

Nov27-Dec1st, the redirect from google flights-> United will price it out at 618CAD/472USD for 9 segments, 9.6k miles and 4.9cpm. But hey, you wanted segments, not cpm, right? :P

@gary I'm not sure if that's what you were thinking of, but you can route the return through LAS including a stopover, as:

YVR-SFO-ORD-EWR-SJU-IAH-AUS-DEN-LAS
- stopover however long you want
LAS-SFO-YVR

for 10 segments, but 741CAD/566USD. bit more expensive but you might be interested lol.

If you do a stopover in LAX instead of LAS you can make the routing DEN-LAX-SEA-YVR, though the LAX-YVR legs will be on AS. The total price will come down to 680CAD AND it's still bookable on united.com though, despite the AS legs. All UA-coded will route as DEN-LAX-SFO-YVR for 710.- (including the stopover)

Last edited by Smiley90; Aug 20, 2015 at 2:37 am
Old Aug 20, 2015, 11:50 pm

Originally Posted by Smiley90
YVR-SFO-ORD-EWR-SJU-IAH-AUS-DEN-LAS
- stopover however long you want
LAS-SFO-YVR

for 10 segments, but 741CAD/566USD. bit more expensive but you might be interested lol.
Careful what I wish for, I guess - my back hurts just reading that!

I think that'd be 27 hours of flying in 2 days.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 2:09 pm

Careful what I wish for, I guess - my back hurts just reading that!

I think that'd be 27 hours of flying in 2 days.
That's exactly my kind of routings though this year and last year I'll end up with over 100 AQS, which is stupid since nothing matters after 95. But I know next year will be tough so I just have to be prudent with my leisure flying.

I was looking at a YVR-MDE-DFW-YVR booking for Mar/Apr, not loving the prices but I managed to find something like YVR-SFO-DEN-IAH-BOG-MDE-SAL-IAH-DFW-SFO-YVR. All in E- of course cuz I don't pay for E+ lol. Just trying to find a price I'm cool with, since originally I was gonna do an award ticket.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

That's exactly my kind of routings though this year and last year I'll end up with over 100 AQS, which is stupid since nothing matters after 95. But I know next year will be tough so I just have to be prudent with my leisure flying.

I was looking at a YVR-MDE-DFW-YVR booking for Mar/Apr, not loving the prices but I managed to find something like YVR-SFO-DEN-IAH-BOG-MDE-SAL-IAH-DFW-SFO-YVR. All in E- of course cuz I don't pay for E+ lol. Just trying to find a price I'm cool with, since originally I was gonna do an award ticket.
-pukes-

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.