Reload this Page >

UA: YVR-SJU: 3.88cpm, 9.9k miles, 385USD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA: YVR-SJU: 3.88cpm, 9.9k miles, 385USD

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2015, 4:13 pm

Programs: United 1K, Aegean Gold, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Platinum, Hertz #1 Gold
Originally Posted by Smiley90
ARGH I had this whole massive post prepared and it deleted it. Oh well. Here's what I found

YVR-SFO-ORD-EWR-SJU-IAH-AUS-DEN-SFO-YVR

Nov27-Dec1st, the redirect from google flights-> United will price it out at 618CAD/472USD for 9 segments, 9.6k miles and 4.9cpm. But hey, you wanted segments, not cpm, right? :P

@gary I'm not sure if that's what you were thinking of, but you can route the return through LAS including a stopover, as:

YVR-SFO-ORD-EWR-SJU-IAH-AUS-DEN-LAS
- stopover however long you want
LAS-SFO-YVR

for 10 segments, but 741CAD/566USD. bit more expensive but you might be interested lol.

If you do a stopover in LAX instead of LAS you can make the routing DEN-LAX-SEA-YVR, though the LAX-YVR legs will be on AS. The total price will come down to 680CAD AND it's still bookable on united.com though, despite the AS legs. All UA-coded will route as DEN-LAX-SFO-YVR for 710.- (including the stopover)
Thanks for the idea; played around with it a bit and got YVR-SFO-LAX-IAH-SJU-EWR-DEN-LAX-SFO-YVR for CAD 690. Think this will put me over the edge for 1K renewal this year :-)
Old Aug 28, 2015, 7:45 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by yvrgary
Well, if you'd posted an ex-SEA fare, it would have applied mainly to Americans, I'm sure with the occasional Canuck willing to drive down and get on it.

...but a fare leaving from Canada is primarily relevant to Canadians, and 10 cpm is a weak deal for us just like it is for you.

I do think it's relevant that Aeroplan customers get much more out of this deal than United customers do, since we haven't yet moved to a revenue-based model for redeemable miles.

@ Keitherson - I hadn't looked at routing YVR-SFO on UA metal, may well be possible. Do the connection times line up?
Don't have to be so negative this is a great post, not all of us in the great white north credit to AC.

And those of us in Canada do not care about the revenue based system as we are exempt in terms of PQM, yeah the RDM will be a little low but who cares, if you are still with UA, the 1K status is what you're after and this can only help

Thanks OP, credits full 100% to UA for PQM, and SJU is an awesome spot
Old Aug 28, 2015, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Might want to check the fine print there, boss.

- Regardless of currency, this ticket books into United fare class T + L, which only earn 50% miles, so you're looking at 4,978 status miles, and only 1,925 redeemable MP miles, or about 20 cpm.

- If you credit to Aeroplan, it's at least still distance-based, so it's 4,978 in both status-earning and redeemable miles, but at about 10 cpm, not 3.8.
speaking of checking the fine print, UA status earning miles in MileagePlus (PQM) is not tied to the cost of the fare. only redeemable miles (RDM). the OP is correct, this itinerary will earn 9947 PQMs if ticketed on UA stock and credited to MileagePlus. now, it will also only earn around $300-350 PQD, but that is a different conversation.

just as YVR'ites are happy to drive to SEA/BLI for better deals, SEA/BLI'ites are happy to drive to YVR for better deals. in fact, i recently ticketed YVR-AMS on KL for $2100 USD in J, while the DL fare ex-SMF/RNO was $7700. the difference more than offset the $320 positioning RT on AS, and only added a short hop between SEA-YVR versus the DL fare of $7700 connecting to SEA-AMS.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 10:46 am

Well, if you'd posted an ex-SEA fare, it would have applied mainly to Americans, I'm sure with the occasional Canuck willing to drive down and get on it.

...but a fare leaving from Canada is primarily relevant to Canadians, and 10 cpm is a weak deal for us just like it is for you.

I do think it's relevant that Aeroplan customers get much more out of this deal than United customers do, since we haven't yet moved to a revenue-based model for redeemable miles.

@ Keitherson - I hadn't looked at routing YVR-SFO on UA metal, may well be possible. Do the connection times line up?
There are more US based people going to YVR to get cheap premium fare flights to the USA than you'd think....

And there are more Canadian residents who are with mileage plus instead of aeroplan than you would think....

And people who get paid in usd, etcetc...

but still 500cad outta yvr to sju is pretty good (sadly), and yvr-sfo is just 2 hours and rouge is not that awful (and i'm 6'4)...a lot of people on the ua forum are talking about how rouge isn't that awful. maybe ua programmed us well to deal with mediocrity.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.