Wiki Posts
Search

UA/DL/VA SYD-LAX $60 base fare - OW $367

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2015, 8:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, VA Velocity, Alaska, BA Avios
UA/DL/VA SYD-LAX $60 base fare - OW $367

Please forgive newbie post. Found some interesting stuff, hoping it is useful to somebody.

Sept 24th. UA SYD-LAX is showing up with a super low base fare of $60.76, total Fare= $367 USD Nonstop. ITA rules indicate fare only available for Sept 24-29th Departure. and ticket is K class on UA so 50% miles.

End on End allowed and Aus/NZ domestic carriers VA, QF, JQ and NZ are allowed too.

MEL-LAX is showing with slightly cheaper at $361 and is nonstop too. BNE-LAX has connection in SYD but is showing as only $1 more than the SYD-LAX flight.

Sept 24th is showing with the same price for Delta and for Virgin Australia (On the Delta Flight) on a direct flight to LAX. It has different fare rules obvs.

Google flights is showing an Open Jaw pop up for $675USD SYD-LAX-MEL but only when returning Oct 14-23. And it only has the "Book through a Travel Agent" Option so not sure what the deal is. Couldn't pull it up on ITA.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 9:08 am

A good fare if someone needs a oneway, o:VA is obv. much better than o:UA or oL

PS: its always good to include a link so people can quickly check it out: https://www.kayak.com/flights/SYD-LA...09-24-flexible
Old Jul 31, 2015, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
interesting find. i am seeing UA/Jetstar combinations starting in CHC and AKL for close to $300 USD, probably due to the favorable NZD:USD exchange rate.

QF is available SYD-LAX for $404
Old Jul 31, 2015, 10:27 am

Programs: UA - Premier 1K, UA MM 1K; Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by mdmclean88
Please forgive newbie post. Found some interesting stuff, hoping it is useful to somebody.

Sept 24th. UA SYD-LAX is showing up with a super low base fare of $60.76, total Fare= $367 USD Nonstop. ITA rules indicate fare only available for Sept 24-29th Departure. and ticket is K class on UA so 50% miles.

End on End allowed and Aus/NZ domestic carriers VA, QF, JQ and NZ are allowed too.

MEL-LAX is showing with slightly cheaper at $361 and is nonstop too. BNE-LAX has connection in SYD but is showing as only $1 more than the SYD-LAX flight.

Sept 24th is showing with the same price for Delta and for Virgin Australia (On the Delta Flight) on a direct flight to LAX. It has different fare rules obvs.

Google flights is showing an Open Jaw pop up for $675USD SYD-LAX-MEL but only when returning Oct 14-23. And it only has the "Book through a Travel Agent" Option so not sure what the deal is. Couldn't pull it up on ITA.
Is it really 50% on UA? I thought that was on partner airlines? So even if you fly UA metal, you get 50% miles? ??
Old Jul 31, 2015, 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by Wangta
Is it really 50% on UA? I thought that was on partner airlines? So even if you fly UA metal, you get 50% miles? ??
Presumably the OP is referring to flying on UA and crediting to another program?
Old Jul 31, 2015, 12:06 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Platinum
Pretty awesome fare. Bookable directly on Virgin, DL and UA sites
Old Jul 31, 2015, 12:44 pm

I so much wish the other way round was also true ...like LAX-SYD-LAX or LAX-MEL-LAX... :-(
Old Jul 31, 2015, 2:04 pm

Think it's worth it if I use miles from LAX-SYD(1 way) then book 1 way SYD-LAX for $367?
Old Jul 31, 2015, 3:23 pm

Programs: AS MVP
Originally Posted by emofeng
Think it's worth it if I use miles from LAX-SYD(1 way) then book 1 way SYD-LAX for $367?
Yes, that's what I did earlier this month. Miles out to CNS and cash back from SYD.

Since you're SFO based, book SYD-SFO-LAX.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 3:26 pm

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Originally Posted by flyingstudent
Yes, that's what I did earlier this month. Miles out to CNS and cash back from SYD.

Make sure you recheck all your bags to LAX from SFO after clearing customs and immigration
Old Jul 31, 2015, 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by flyingstudent

I was actually thinking of booking a SFO-LAX-SFO flight to position myself. Because I'd like to get the miles(PQM) for SYD-LAX on my way back.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 4:20 pm

Programs: Avianca Brazil Diamond, Etihad Gold, Southwest CC Pass, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by emofeng
Definitely. Nothing for when the dates I need which is next March / April.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 4:40 pm

Programs: UA - Premier 1K, UA MM 1K; Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by keitherson
Make sure you recheck all your bags to LAX from SFO after clearing customs and immigration
Are you joking or is that to make sure that United doesn't cancel the miles b/c you skip out on the last leg?
Old Jul 31, 2015, 4:56 pm

Programs: pandas
There are some origins in NZ which mess with the fuel...

edited

Last edited by Silvermirage; Jul 31, 2015 at 6:31 pm
Old Jul 31, 2015, 5:03 pm

Programs: AS MVP
Originally Posted by Wangta
Are you joking or is that to make sure that United doesn't cancel the miles b/c you skip out on the last leg?
You'll for sure get full EQM for the flights you've taken, regardless of whether you cancel the rest of the ticket.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.