Search

DL/AF: SFO/LAX-JNB €757-762/$833-838 ai rt 3.8-4.0 cpm

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2015, 8:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: SkyTeam Gold, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold
DL/AF: SFO/LAX-JNB €757-762/$833-838 ai rt 3.8-4.0 cpm

Sample date: Nov. 19 - Nov. 21

AF: SFO-CDG-JNB-CDG-SFO (22000 miles, €757/$833, 3.8 cpm)
http://www.kayak.de/flights/SFO-JNB/...11-21-flexible

DL: LAX-ATL-JNB-ATL-LAX (20760 miles, €762/$838, 4.0 cpm)
http://www.kayak.de/flights/LAX-JNB/...11-21-flexible
Old Jun 30, 2015, 2:15 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Newbie-ish question: I was playing around with this, and it looks like there is SFO/LAX-DTW-AMS-JNB-AMS-DTW-SFO/LAX in the ~4.0 cpm range on KL a few weekends in November and one in December.

But although you can construct an itinerary on Google or Kayak getting into JNB at 22:05 and departing again at 23:59, KLM's site won't actually let you book a same-day return even though the flight is clearly available. (It's bookable with a return the following day, which may be the way to do this anyway, actually see the town :-) )

Something about the fare rules (can't seem to find them as easily as on, say, Delta), or min turnaround time for an international flight, or...? Is this the sort of thing you could maybe get an agent to book on the phone?

Last edited by Zorak; Jun 30, 2015 at 2:24 am
Old Jul 2, 2015, 2:19 pm

Programs: US, DL, BA FF Progs
Worth a try

I often find complex bookings I can't book online. Normally there is some snag to do with partner airlines or similar. Although I'm not a fan of calling the airlines b/c I very rarely get above average service, the Delta diamond desk and I have become well acquainted due to unbookable online fares.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 3:26 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Thx abmad. Since my previous post I have tinkered a bit and found a DL-coded itinerary that *is* bookable; now I have to decide whether I really want to :-) currently I will just slightly clear the MQMs for PM this year, with no other significant travel planned for the rest of the year. There are 2 MR I could do to reach DM but it seems like a lot of time in a plane... OTOH I definitely have at least one intl long haul planned with mom next year and the GUCs would sure be nice to have...
Old Jul 5, 2015, 3:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Currently in Bloomington, IN, but Normally NYC, CDG, and even POZ or wherever FT takes me.
Programs: Northwest Airlines. MTA pay-per-ride Metrocard; zero-balance Oyster card.
The eternal question for US-based flyers: doesn't the fact that the fare is so low negate any advantage in the CPM?

What's the point of slumming it 20K miles in coach if you're getting $800 worth of miles for it? What am I missing?
Old Jul 6, 2015, 12:32 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by notsosmart
The eternal question for US-based flyers: doesn't the fact that the fare is so low negate any advantage in the CPM?

What's the point of slumming it 20K miles in coach if you're getting $800 worth of miles for it? What am I missing?
If you have the $25k waiver, then your primary concern may potentially be just MQMs for recurring status...and not so much just the RDMs.
Old Jul 9, 2015, 2:06 pm

Programs: UA Gold, DL DM, UA 1K, MR PP
Originally Posted by ab_initio
If you have the $25k waiver, then your primary concern may potentially be just MQMs for recurring status...and not so much just the RDMs.
In my case I fly last minute higher $ flights so I will surpass PM by far, but not come close in MQM, at this point I should be $13,000 spend, 45,000 MQM. Two decent TPAC mileage runs will be necessary to maintain PM status...
Old Jul 9, 2015, 2:36 pm

I went on to the delta site and was able to locate LAX-JNB return for $880 in March 2016.

I am a little confused by the Delta mileage accrual. It tells me 20,000 something MQM, but then says total miles 3,790. Is 3,790 miles the only miles that will be added to my sky miles account?
Old Jul 9, 2015, 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by bakoboy
I went on to the delta site and was able to locate LAX-JNB return for $880 in March 2016.

I am a little confused by the Delta mileage accrual. It tells me 20,000 something MQM, but then says total miles 3,790. Is 3,790 miles the only miles that will be added to my sky miles account?
The MQM miles only count towards earning status, so if you meet the dollar spend you will be 20,000 miles closer to reaching silver medallion. The 3,790 miles are 5X your dollar spend and you can use those toward your next free award ticket/flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.