AA: PHX/LAS/SAN/SFO to GIG $503

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2015, 5:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat, Hyatt Plat

Valid for next two weekends in June. Thur-Mon

Booked: PHX-JFK-GIG-JFK-PHX for $503 and 13,896 ... 3.6cpm

No minimum stay however both flights are a redeye so you'll be spending 12 hours on the ground as is. But for those of us lucky enough to already have a valid visa it makes for a nice Saturday lunch on Copacabana
Old May 28, 2015, 5:48 pm

Programs: DL, UA, Avianca, Mariott Gold
I see DL is matching for dates in June and August out of SAN.
Old May 28, 2015, 6:09 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Thanks OP - this is SO tempting!! But I have no idea about the visa requirements.
Old May 28, 2015, 6:32 pm

Programs: AA XPlat, UA 1K
The Brazil Visa costs $150. Docs can be completed online but you must present your actual passport to the local Brazilian consular office or hire an agency to do it for you. About $100... or more if you are in a hurry. The visa is usually good for 10 years. Ups the cpm computation a bit.
Old May 28, 2015, 6:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, AA GLD
Originally Posted by cantsurf
The Brazil Visa costs $150. Docs can be completed online but you must present your actual passport to the local Brazilian consular office or hire an agency to do it for you. About $100... or more if you are in a hurry. The visa is usually good for 10 years. Ups the cpm computation a bit.
When the cost of a visa is a significant fraction of the overall cpm of a flight, sometimes it's because the flight is a really, really good deal and the total cost is still well worth it

(To anyone on the fence, don't avoid Rio or Sao Paulo over the cost of a visa, but use it as an excuse to get the visa and then make multiple trips to Brazil! I don't have a link handy, but I've read of visitors to the Argentine side of Iguazu Falls saying they weren't going to visit the Brazilian side - well, if you already have a 10 year visa anyways, it's moot and you can just enjoy yourself.)
Old May 28, 2015, 7:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by rob_flies_ua
When the cost of a visa is a significant fraction of the overall cpm of a flight, sometimes it's because the flight is a really, really good deal and the total cost is still well worth it

(To anyone on the fence, don't avoid Rio or Sao Paulo over the cost of a visa, but use it as an excuse to get the visa and then make multiple trips to Brazil! I don't have a link handy, but I've read of visitors to the Argentine side of Iguazu Falls saying they weren't going to visit the Brazilian side - well, if you already have a 10 year visa anyways, it's moot and you can just enjoy yourself.)
Indeed, I've visited Rio several times over the course of the last year and have found it to be quite tourist friendly. Unlike the pick-pocket horror stories of the past the city seems to be cleaning up and getting it's act together in preperation for the upcoming Olympic Games. As an example: there's now a cop on patrol literally every 50 yards on both Copacabana and Impaneda. Total shenanigans witnessed: 0
Old May 28, 2015, 7:17 pm

Any idea if it is possible to hang out in the airport if you don't want to get a visa?
Old May 28, 2015, 7:38 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Single_Flyer
Any idea if it is possible to hang out in the airport if you don't want to get a visa?
Can you just hang out in the airport and stay in transit?
Old May 28, 2015, 7:47 pm

Programs: IHG RA, MR Plat, AA EXP
This is also available out of DFW. Pricing available through February of 2016
Old May 28, 2015, 8:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Madone59
Can you just hang out in the airport and stay in transit?
In other threads, travelers are unanimously reporting that if your passport requires a Visa to enter Brazil, the airline will not let you board the plane without it. Period. You can claim transit status, or just hanging out in the airport until you are blue in the face, but apparently you will have no luck.
Old May 28, 2015, 8:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward

Wow! Not too bad at all. Unfortunately, I have work to do. So I can't go. Sorry Guys.
Old May 28, 2015, 9:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Too much hassle and $$ for me....especially considering all the other mileage run deals to places that don't require a Visa.
Old May 28, 2015, 9:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Depends on your consulate, Boston consulate will let you mail your passport in, but you have to live in MA/ME/NH/VT.
Old May 28, 2015, 11:23 pm

If you're American. Free for me.
Old May 29, 2015, 8:05 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
Too much hassle and $$ for me....especially considering all the other mileage run deals to places that don't require a Visa.
Holy moly, you're not kidding

Depending on one's jurisdiction, might need bank statements, notarized driver's license, money order, etc, etc. Fees could easily exceed $300 (visa fee, processing fee, FedEx, etc.) unless you are able to make an in-person appt at one of a handful of consulates that seem to be closed more than they are open.

Seems a bit over-the-top for a simple MR.

Last edited by GaryZ; May 29, 2015 at 9:37 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.