Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals
Reload this Page >

AA: RDU-GRU $447 (12,344 miles, 3.6 cpm)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA: RDU-GRU $447 (12,344 miles, 3.6 cpm)

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2015, 9:01 am

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, AA Lifetime Platinum, Delta PM, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond
Guys,

Let me warn you now before you go down a path you WILL regret. Please do not board that flight to Brazil if you don't have the VISA.

To begin with, the AA reps will not allow you to check in or board the flight without a valid visa. If by luck you happen to "ELUDE" this step, the authorities in Rio or Sao Paulo will place you in detention and send you on the next flight back to the US (you will be in a room and locked up for 10+ hours since the next flight back is usually at night).

Your passport details will be tagged in their computer system and when next you try and get a visa at the embassy in the US or anywhere in the world, your name will pop up and they will deny you. Ditto, trying to sneak in from Argentina, Paraguay, Uraguay, or Peru

PLEASE DO NOT TRY AND TRAVEL TO BRAZIL WITHOUT A VISA BECAUSE IT WILL CAUSE YOU A LOT OF TROUBLE AND MAYBE A LIFETIME BAN FROM BRAZIL.

Listed below is a website that I have used in the past. They are fast, efficient and will get you your visa within 3 to 4 days but you will have to use UPS or FEDEX next day ship which also adds to the total cost. YMMV

www.visacentral.com

Last edited by NYC1K; May 20, 2015 at 9:09 am
Old May 20, 2015, 9:02 am

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, AA Lifetime Platinum, Delta PM, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mster
Is this dead?
Yes, from the US state side. LAX looks like it's open but I only see a few dates in July and a long layover.
Old May 20, 2015, 9:17 am

Programs: AA EXP, mid-tier with pretty much everyone else
Originally Posted by NYC1K
Guys,

Let me warn you now before you go down a path you WILL regret. Please do not board that flight to Brazil if you don't have the VISA.

To begin with, the AA reps will not allow you to check in or board the flight without a valid visa. If by luck you happen to "ELUDE" this step, the authorities in Rio or Sao Paulo will place you in detention and send you on the next flight back to the US (you will be in a room and locked up for 10+ hours since the next flight back is usually at night).

Your passport details will be tagged in their computer system and when next you try and get a visa at the embassy in the US or anywhere in the world, your name will pop up and they will deny you. Ditto, trying to sneak in from Argentina, Paraguay, Uraguay, or Peru

PLEASE DO NOT TRY AND TRAVEL TO BRAZIL WITHOUT A VISA BECAUSE IT WILL CAUSE YOU A LOT OF TROUBLE AND MAYBE A LIFETIME BAN FROM BRAZIL.

Listed below is a website that I have used in the past. They are fast, efficient and will get you your visa within 3 to 4 days but you will have to use UPS or FEDEX next day ship which also adds to the total cost. YMMV

www.visacentral.com
I went ahead and canceled my trip for this weekend, didn't want to put my $448 at risk and depend on some hourly desk agent to do things correctly for me.

To the above, though, if you stay in the international section of the airport you will not try and enter Brazil, which is permitted, according to Brazil.
Old May 20, 2015, 9:20 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, TK Elite+
Originally Posted by bthotugigem05
TIMATIC has me covered, and I have a screenshot to prove it. I think the hard part will be convincing an AA agent to input my destination as the USA with a transit in GRU instead of putting the destination as GRU.
Originally Posted by william142
I guess my question is it clearly states on the Brazil website that if you are in transit and don't leave air side you don't need a visa. How can AA just make up their own rules?
A US-Brazil-US even if it's a turnaround is not a transit. Flying a ridiculous route such as JFK-GRU-YYZ is a transit. JFK-GRU-LAX is not.
Old May 20, 2015, 9:30 am

Programs: AA EXP
I completely agree with NYC1K. If you do not have a VISA for Brazil, you are wasting your time and money to attempt a mile run there! AA will not let you on the flight, regardless of what you tell them about just staying in the transit area. People lie all the time about their intent, so if you try to pass through Brazilian immigration, AA will be at fault. They won't let you on the plane without a VISA, period. Factor in the VISA fees into your mile run and handle them by mail, then you'll be ok.

Guys,

www.visacentral.com
Old May 20, 2015, 9:31 am

Programs: Starwood Gold, Hilton Gold, Mariott Gold, AMEX Plat, US CP
Guys,

www.visacentral.com
Even that website you list states you do not need a visa. How would you be detained if you follow the signs for connecting / transit passengers and never go to immigration?

isa exempt for transit purpose only. The traveller must:
Transit through Rio de Janeiro Galeao International or Sao Paulo Guarulhos
Hold a passport valid for at least 3 months on entry with one blank visa page
Hold proof of sufficient funds
Hold proof of onward/return flights
Hold all documents required for the next destination
Hold visa for next country where applicable
Confirm with their airline that boarding will be permitted without a visa
Should the traveller not meet the above criteria, a visa may be required. Please contact VisaCentral for further advice at 877-535-0688
Old May 20, 2015, 9:46 am

Even that website you list states you do not need a visa. How would you be detained if you follow the signs for connecting / transit passengers and never go to immigration?

Should the traveller not meet the above criteria, a visa may be required. Please contact VisaCentral for further advice at 877-535-0688
Confused

Is the consensus here that if one has proof of onward / return flights from GRU (on a separate ticket) that Brazil will allow you to transit without a visa *but* that it doesn't really matter since AA won't allow you to board your US-GRU/GIG flight in the first place without said visa?

If I buy the RDU-GRU ticket I have on hold my plan would just be to avios hop right out of Brazil
Old May 20, 2015, 9:51 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, TK Elite+

Please let us know how your trip goes

The problem is not with immigration - the problem is with the check-in agent. Why would any check-in agent risk his/her job and trust you? You do not have the necessary documents to enter Brazil and it's their right to deny you at check-in.
Old May 20, 2015, 10:12 am

I went ahead and canceled my trip for this weekend, didn't want to put my $448 at risk and depend on some hourly desk agent to do things correctly for me.

To the above, though, if you stay in the international section of the airport you will not try and enter Brazil, which is permitted, according to Brazil.
I don't think you have been to Brazil. Brazil is set up like the US so all international flights must go through immigration and then baggage claim. You cannot get to "state side" unless you pass through immigration so there's no international section or "rest area" say to speak.

Once you pass immigration, you can literally walk out of the airport (after you pass customs which is a joke since they mostly watch out for Brazilians coming back home with "goodies"). This is why they will never, ever, let you through immigration unless you have the Visa.

You can risk it and become the "guinea pig" and kindly report back to FT. Good Luck and "Boa Noite".
Old May 20, 2015, 10:13 am

So go ahead and give it a try. Remember to report back so we know you are ok.
Old May 20, 2015, 10:37 am

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Kimpton IC; IHG Diamond Ambassador;
Confused

Is the consensus here that if one has proof of onward / return flights from GRU (on a separate ticket) that Brazil will allow you to transit without a visa *but* that it doesn't really matter since AA won't allow you to board your US-GRU/GIG flight in the first place without said visa?

If I buy the RDU-GRU ticket I have on hold my plan would just be to avios hop right out of Brazil
If AA lets you board for GRU, you'll be screwed when you get to GRU. There is no in-transit area at GRU. You must clear immigration an customs before transit. I highly doubt that Brazil immigration will just let you proceed to transfer to the next flight without a Visa. And I wouldn't recommend risking it.
Old May 20, 2015, 1:51 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by josephstern
I assume if they deny boarding based on the lack of a visa, they don't give you a refund. Can anyone confirm?

A good argument might be, 'hey, worst case, you're gonna put me on a plane right back to the US. Well, I already have that ticket paid for!'
But you haven't paid the thousands of dollars in immigration fines AA will incur and the agent will still lose their job, so I doubt that argument will get you far.

Is it possible to connect to another separately booked flight and avoid actually entering Brazil / needing a visa? Like a connection to Santiago, Montevideo, etc..
Yes. Just have the information for the connection with you when you check in so the agent can add it to your reservation. I would recommend booking on a oneworld carrier so you'll be protected as if it was one journey in the event of IROPS.

Originally Posted by nsummy
Worst case they put you on a plane back and the airline gets fined. That is why they are so adamant about it.

If you are turning around you are not in transit. You are going to your destination, then returning from your destination. Granted the Brazilian officials won't see it like that, but the airline will.
^ As far as I'm concerned, getting off the plane and then immediately returning to the origin point is not transit and I would deny boarding to any passenger who attempted to do so without a visa.
Old May 20, 2015, 1:56 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
TIMATIC has me covered, and I have a screenshot to prove it. I think the hard part will be convincing an AA agent to input my destination as the USA with a transit in GRU instead of putting the destination as GRU.
It doesn't. This is what Timatic returns for a passenger traveling MIA-SAO-MIA: (emphasis mine)

/ 20MAY15 / 2011 UTC

National USA (US) /Embarkation USA (US)
Transit Brazil (BR) /Destination USA (US)
ALSO CHECK DESTINATION INFORMATION BELOW

PASSPORT & VISA INFORMATION: TRANSIT

Brazil (BR)

TWOV (Transit Without Visa):
Visa required, except for Holders of onward tickets in transit (For details, click here) through Rio de Janeiro Galeao International (GIG) or Sao Paulo Guarulhos (GRU).

HEALTH INFORMATION: DESTINATIONS

Brazil (BR)

Vaccinations not required.

PASSPORT & VISA INFORMATION: DESTINATIONS

USA (US)

INFORMATION: NORMAL PASSPORTS

Passport required.
- Passports and/or passport replacing documents issued to nationals of USA must be valid on arrival.

Passport Exemptions:

- Holders of a valid on arrival NEXUS Card issued to nationals of USA, provided residing in Canada or USA.
- Holders of temporary or emergency passports.
- Holders of a Transportation Letter:
- When arriving directly from the US mainland, Alaska, Hawaii, (For details, click here)

VISA NOT REQUIRED.

Minors:
- Children, up to/incl. 15 years of age, being nationals of USA, are not allowed to enter the USA on their parents passports.
- Minors traveling unaccompanied, or accompanied by one parent or a person other than parent/legal guardian, (For details, click here).
Warning:
- Passengers who have visited Guinea, Liberia or Sierra Leone within the last 21 days must enter the US at Atlanta (ATL), Chicago (ORD), Newark (EWR), New York (JFK) or Washington (IAD) and are subject to screening and medical checks upon arrival.

HEALTH INFORMATION: DESTINATIONS

USA (US)

Vaccinations not required.

Warning:
- Those entering on a K-1 or K-2 visa must hold a medical form
FS398 and X-ray plates of chest (full size not necessary).

R32) TWOV

Transit Without Visa (TWOV): Passing through an international transit area of the airport in order to board a connecting (or to proceed by the same) flight, without entering the country (i.e. clearing immigration).

Unless stated otherwise, passengers wishing to TWOV must:
- be en-route to a third country (e.g. itinerary TYO-LON-TYO is not considered TWOV);

- prove that they will continue their journey within the prescribed period (e.g. hold onward tickets);
- have documents required for entry into the country of destination and for transit through countries en-route;
- remain in the transit area (airside) or on the aircraft.

Note: Fot transit purposes through China (People's Rep.), Hong Kong (SAR China) and Macao (SAR China) are considered as third countries, as they have their own entry regulations.

Note: TWOV is not intended for those holding stand-by tickets, e.g. airline employees or other passengers travelling on industry discount.

Last edited by ThreeJulietTango; May 20, 2015 at 2:14 pm
Old May 20, 2015, 2:06 pm

Programs: UA GS, TK Gold
You can risk it and become the "guinea pig" and kindly report back to FT. Good Luck and "Boa Noite".
I'm travelling to GRU on 23rd and will have 15 hrs turnaround. I will try to check in and board with US passport without Brazil visa just to see what will happened. I also have valid EU passport which lets me into BRA visa free, so I'm not risking anything.

I will report back to FT.
Old May 20, 2015, 8:31 pm

Thanks OP for a great deal. I had looked at those fares yesterday morning when they were around $550, then saw your post and put one on hold for $442. I purchased it this evening.

On a US passport, I would not risk traveling without a visa, but a few years ago I traveled twice on an EU passport and did an immediate turn *without* going through Brazilian immigration and customs. Because of the EU passport, the lack of a visa obviously wasn't a problem when checking in.

I arrived at GRU in the morning and returned to MIA on the daytime flight. I had my return boarding pass printed out prior to leaving the US. Upon deplaning, I approached one of the ground staff meeting the plane, showed my return boarding pass, and asked if I could go to the departure area without going through immigration and customs. They were a bit perplexed at the situation at first - someone returning straight back to where they were coming from - but after a bit of discussion between some ground staff members, they opened the sliding glass door separating the corridor leading to immigration from the departure gate area and let me through. I later was called to the podium for some additional passport check and carry-on screening, but overall it was a fairly smooth process, and it worked twice within a few weeks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.