UA: AUS-IAH-EWR-SJU-EWR-IAH-AUS $274 (@4.3 cpm, G class) - 1-day turn

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2015, 7:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA PlatPro, Asiana Diamond, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium

Looking for one last mileage run on United before March 1st? Here's an option if you live in Central Texas

AUS-IAH-EWR-SJU-EWR-IAH-AUS for $273.60. Depart Wed Feb 25, return Thurs Feb 26. 55 mins on the ground in San Juan.

Base miles: 6302 - or, 7016 if you are a Premier member, due to the 500-mile minimum

4.34 cpm base, 3.90 for Premier

Hopefully this cpm is low enough for the Debbie Downers that tore into my previous posts...
Old Jan 13, 2015, 7:30 am

great fare, thanks for posting. just wish it was over a weekend...
Old Jan 13, 2015, 9:31 am

Programs: Mileage Plus, AAdvantage, Life Miles, Smiles
Where did you buy it? United's website does not show this route and, if I do segment by segment, the fare becomes more expensive.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 10:50 am

Programs: UA MM *G, AA EXP, OW Emerald, Hyatt Globalist, Gold everywhere else
When I search these on UA, the AUS-IAH-EWR-SJU was the first option presented. Same for the return.

Very limited availability for the $274 G-fare, but for ~$30 more the K-fare is still a decent value (and available on more dates). I held one for late Jan since it would be hail-mary use for an expiring upgrade.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 12:47 pm

Programs: UA Gold, SPG
It'd be great to swing one of these from SFO before 1/31 (to use expiring RPUs). Anyone see anything good ex-SFO or SJC pre-1/31?
Old Jan 13, 2015, 10:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PlatPro, Asiana Diamond, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by JetflyerER
Where did you buy it? United's website does not show this route and, if I do segment by segment, the fare becomes more expensive.
Found and clicked-through to United via Google Flights:
https://www.google.com/flights/#sear...1-IAHAUS0UA640
Old Jan 13, 2015, 10:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jnb_tx
great fare, thanks for posting. just wish it was over a weekend...
Agreed. That's the reason I'm not able to take advantage of this
Old Jan 14, 2015, 12:57 am

Originally Posted by LukeRB
It'd be great to swing one of these from SFO before 1/31 (to use expiring RPUs). Anyone see anything good ex-SFO or SJC pre-1/31?
I was thinking the same thing. I am at infant level in terms of MR/routing knowledge. Hoping someone more seasoned figures a way to send this to the west coast to really juice the miles flown. That said, still good as posted and less brutal than TPAC in Economy Plus for a MR.

Am I correct that, as per the routing in the OP, I could get off in IAH, making AUS a hidden city situation, whilst still getting all the PQM and RDM miles credited?
Old Jan 14, 2015, 5:17 am

Programs: 3.2MM AA, 1.4MM UA,StwdLftPlt
Good last minute fare before the sea change.
A couple of close connections in addition to the SJC turnaround.
United's IRROPs these days always make me more alert to these potential hurdles
Old Jan 14, 2015, 7:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by luckypierre
Good last minute fare before the sea change.
A couple of close connections in addition to the SJC turnaround.
United's IRROPs these days always make me more alert to these potential hurdles
Understood. But, at least the plane that you are flying to SJU should be the same one that you are returning on

The only other close connection I am seeing is between legs 5 and 6: 48 mins in IAH. That one concerns me too, but there are a bunch more AUS-IAH flights that day to catch in case of a delay
Old Jan 14, 2015, 5:45 pm

Programs: UA Gold, SPG
Originally Posted by uncommonsensical
I was thinking the same thing. I am at infant level in terms of MR/routing knowledge. Hoping someone more seasoned figures a way to send this to the west coast to really juice the miles flown. That said, still good as posted and less brutal than TPAC in Economy Plus for a MR.
I'm with you on that. I haven't played around much with the routing options, but usually Google Flights and ITA Matrix are the best tools for extending MRs other folks have put together. Maybe a Multi-city search with the AUS–SJU–AUS nested inside it…?

Originally Posted by uncommonsensical
Am I correct that, as per the routing in the OP, I could get off in IAH, making AUS a hidden city situation, whilst still getting all the PQM and RDM miles credited?
You're welcome to get off at IAH and 'throw-away' IAH–AUS; A few things worth noting (that apply to all hidden-city tickets):
  1. You won't get the PQM or RDM for IAH–AUS.
  2. If you check bags (even gate-check), they'll be checked to your final destination of AUS.
  3. If there are IRROPS, UA may route you directly to AUS or through another city to AUS (hence skipping IAH), though this is unlikely due to AUS's proximity to IAH.
Old Feb 2, 2015, 3:42 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, UA Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
I did this before, it isn't too fun hehe. Luckily, the plane i was on to san juan was the same on the way back (delayed 1.5hr) - but I did miss my ewr-iah pushing me in economy.

They flew the same crew over night, so that was fun seeing them again after a 3hr flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.