Wiki Posts
Search

Us/aa: Clt-dca-jfk-bos-lga-clt ($533)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2014, 7:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: US, DL
Us/aa: Clt-dca-jfk-bos-lga-clt ($533)

Just booked to get my last 5 segments for US CP- more than I wanted to spend but I procrastinated. Found on Google. AA Paper.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
No offense but $100 segment is a pretty awful deal. Most segment runners (when time is not of the essence at end of calendar year) target $40/segment or less. Many do it for $30/segment.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
No offense but $100 segment is a pretty awful deal. Most segment runners (when time is not of the essence at end of calendar year) target $40/segment or less. Many do it for $30/segment.
I agree...yes, you need the miles (or in this case segments), but a mileage/segment has a cost factor associated with it and this isn't even close to being in mileage run territory as far as $$.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 9:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: US, DL
I'm short and had one day on the calendar I could do it - poor planning. With the 120 needed next year for exec plat I did not want to be on any list with <100 segments - so in my situation I thought it was worth it. I could not find anything in that price range or I would have gladly done it.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 10:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
I can't see under any interpretation on how this qualifies to be posted as its own mileage run
Old Dec 18, 2014, 10:32 am

Programs: SQ
Especially considering there are way better runs from BOS before the end of the year on US metal
Old Dec 18, 2014, 11:11 am

Programs: HH Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by benzemalyonnais
Especially considering there are way better runs from BOS before the end of the year on US metal
OP, apparently, is flying out of Charlotte.

A quick search on ITA matrix produced same day turns CLT-PHL-BWI-PHL-CLT on US metal for $219 to $233 RT on several days in the week between Christmas and New Years. Seems like you can find maybe one more seg to add to this routing. Alternatively, another short RT on another day, got to be there for less than $200.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 11:34 am

Programs: AA ExecP
Originally Posted by pgrennan
I'm short and had one day on the calendar I could do it - poor planning. With the 120 needed next year for exec plat I did not want to be on any list with <100 segments - so in my situation I thought it was worth it. I could not find anything in that price range or I would have gladly done it.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the qualification for the 2015 year is still 100 segments.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 12:00 pm

Programs: US CP, MR Plat, SPG Plat, HHonors Gold, National X
Originally Posted by flying_q
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the qualification for the 2015 year is still 100 segments.
OP, you have 24h to cancel the ticket and save $500+.

And a year to buy this FTer a beer!!
Old Dec 18, 2014, 4:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS MVPG, FB Gold
Originally Posted by Nikolaos
...you have 24h to cancel the ticket...
Not if I understand correctly by OP's use of "booked" that he has purchased the ticket on AA stock.

If in fact he only put it on hold, he could just let it expire, which is how I understand that AA complies with the requirement that a ticket can be cancelled within 24 hours, without penalty. Once put through, however, I don't believe that AA will reverse the charge, within 24 hours or not.

Anybody with a different experience?
Old Dec 18, 2014, 4:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS 100K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by rdrnnr
Not if I understand correctly by OP's use of "booked" that he has purchased the ticket on AA stock.

If in fact he only put it on hold, he could just let it expire, which is how I understand that AA complies with the requirement that a ticket can be cancelled within 24 hours, without penalty. Once put through, however, I don't believe that AA will reverse the charge, within 24 hours or not.

Anybody with a different experience?
It is AA's internal, unpublished policy to give refunds in the form of credit certificate for accidental bookings/cancellations within 24hours of the origional booking. Just my two cents
Old Dec 18, 2014, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jona970318
It is AA's internal, unpublished policy to give refunds in the form of credit certificate for accidental bookings/cancellations within 24hours of the origional booking. Just my two cents
Given the OP's desire to secure CP - it's probably not worth the risk of canceling and re-booking. Technically they don't have to refund you if it's within 24 hours of booking because they offer a hold and if it's less than 7 days aren't DOT hold-regs waived anyway?

While not a MR by any length, $533 to secure CP when US is moving to a 3 tier system is well worth it in my book since the alternative is the OP falling all the way back to the 50k/AAPLT level which is a huge difference from EXP/CP.

A tip to the OP in the future, check this forum for deals and also check google.com/flights and the ITA matrix as well as faredealalert.com (the offshoot of The Flight Deal that covers CLT) - you can likely find deals that are better per segment or per CPM ex-CLT if needed in the future
Old Dec 18, 2014, 5:54 pm

I would agree that he should cancel it if it's still within 24 hours. If he doesn't want to cancel and is fine with it, that's okay too. i just don't understand why he would post this here.

Funny story, my co-worker is an SWA flyer and is 18,xxx miles (revenue based) short to hit A+ preferred/companion or whatever it's called. He was looking for the most expensive flight he could find for the shortest distance! I got a crack up.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 7:08 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by jona970318

Actually since you can't put tickets on hold within one week anymore, AA gives you 24 hours to cancel regardless of reason.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
I can't see under any interpretation on how this qualifies to be posted as its own mileage run
Flyertalk is evolving into Facebook - people just post whatever is going on in their life.

Would have been better to post in Mileage Run Discussion and asked for advice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.