Wiki Posts
Search

UA: YYZ-SIN $591 ~2.83cpm

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2014, 7:57 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by SirJman
Everyone disembarks in HKG for a security check, it's often not even the same plane continuing on to SIN. You'll be happy to stretch your legs anyway
Obviously. Because after being frisked and deep-cavity-searched on their departure from ORD, then 15.5 hours in UA Y-, a security check is absolutely required as passengers tend to become radical militants. :P
Old Dec 3, 2014, 8:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Goodtimes321
I posted YYZ - SIN for approximately $850. a couple months ago. Since then its been going lower and lower every couple weeks $800. , $758., $650. , $608.50 and now $591. How low will a 22000 mile trip go?
Hopefully as low as for the cost per mile to be lower than the redemption value of each mile. Then we'll be getting paid to fly!
Old Dec 3, 2014, 9:22 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Mosaic
Originally Posted by Schweden
Hopefully as low as for the cost per mile to be lower than the redemption value of each mile. Then we'll be getting paid to fly!
Some might argue that that is compensation for being subject to UA Y-!

See anything similar with a NRT connection?
Old Dec 3, 2014, 5:47 pm

Programs: AC50K, OZ*G
Originally Posted by pWei
Some might argue that that is compensation for being subject to UA Y-!

See anything similar with a NRT connection?
Yes.

http://www.ca.kayak.com/flights/YYZ-...YYZ/2015-01-22
Old Dec 3, 2014, 10:05 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Diamond, HHonors Gold
And now theflightdeal just posted LAX-HKG via YVR on AC for $575. These sub-$600 *A fares to Asia are wild. Anyone seeing OW match close to $600?

Last edited by Madmax4797; Dec 3, 2014 at 10:06 pm Reason: Forgot airline
Old Dec 11, 2014, 11:58 am

Programs: AS
Originally Posted by Icalledtheairline
(then I guess another 7 to get to SIN?)
Flight time between SIN and HKG is less than 4 hours.
Old Dec 11, 2014, 12:52 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, AA EXP, SPG Plt, HH Dmnd
Originally Posted by Madmax4797
And now theflightdeal just posted LAX-HKG via YVR on AC for $575. These sub-$600 *A fares to Asia are wild. Anyone seeing OW match close to $600?
Also, that flight is on AC's special version high density 777. Not pleasant in any class of service.
Old Dec 11, 2014, 2:05 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus Gold
ORD - SIN United 895

I am on this flight in January connecting from IAH. (rt IAH SIN for $832 at the time - taking advantage of the pre 3/1 changes.)

I was worried about the stop in Hong Kong and looked at visa requirements for Hong Kong, and it does not appear that there are any for those holding US passports - at least if your stay is under 90 days. Is that correct? I don't want to be denied boarding in ORD because of some visa or transit requirement for Hong Kong. Thanks.

(BTW . . . last time I was in Hong Kong was in 1982 when I was going around the world on Pan Am 001 . . . on their "round the world in 80 days fare." Those were the days !)

I wish one of the US carriers would bring back a round-the-world flight.
Old Dec 11, 2014, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
At HKG (as at NRT) you head for the transit area after deplaning from the US (and SIN on the return) to go through security, then up to the departure gates to board your onward flight to SIN/US. Note that at HKG you can't bring water on board your flight...there's another security check (cursory by hand) at the gate. Stupid but that's the way it is for US airlines and their flights.

Did an immediate turnaround last month for my 1K and have another booked with a friend for late January. Tempted by squeezing in one more before March 1st though the C$625 fares seem gone now, C$750 about the lowest. My previous one, and the upcoming one were at the old C$825 fare, though one had a UA U$200 voucher applied against it, the other my annual C$200 Amex Platinum credit. In E+ I had middle seat empty on all sectors, booking an aisle in the centre range of seats, so it was reasonably comfortable. Just hoping for some new movies next month...with the SINRUn and a BAHRun in October I've watched everything on UA's IFE!
Old Dec 11, 2014, 4:31 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus Gold
[At HKG (as at NRT) you head for the transit area after deplaning from the US (and SIN on the return) to go through security, then up to the departure gates to board your onward flight to SIN/US. Note that at HKG you can't bring water on board your flight...there's another security check (cursory by hand) at the gate. Stupid but that's the way it is for US airlines and their flights.]

Yes, thanks, that is what I did at Narita in November coming off the nonstop from Houston, deplaned, went upstairs thru a security check, and then downstairs passed the United Service Desk to the departure gate to catch my flight to SIN.

Wow ! you are really going for it before the changes.
Old Dec 11, 2014, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by clipper.fortune
Wow ! you are really going for it before the changes.
These fares don't come along often if ever -- we used to have to go to BUF to get a C$!200 SINRun fare in the past -- and the changes are going to make earning RDMs more difficult, so best to bulk up my account while I can (and being 1K each r/t earns 42K RDMs) not to mention having 42K PQMs by mid-February for 2016 status. I can get a lot of work done on these flights and not worry about interruptions for two days...though a couple of days in a hot climate in February is certainly and added benefit!

I know a couple of people who have even more of these booked in January and February!
Old Dec 12, 2014, 9:48 pm

Originally Posted by clipper.fortune
(BTW . . . last time I was in Hong Kong was in 1982 when I was going around the world on Pan Am 001 . . . on their "round the world in 80 days fare." Those were the days !)
HKG is a wonderful airport where every flight is an international flight. It is consistently ranked one of the best airports in the world. The United Club is also very good.

Originally Posted by boss315
The crap shoot on this route? Which of the 777 will go MX stranding you in either ORD, HKG or SIN???
UA895/UA896 is one of United's premier routes and the equipment rarely has any issues. I've been on this ORD-HKG route many times but have never traveled on to SIN.

Being a pmUA route on pmUA metal with pmUA flight attendants you can have a nice chat with them during their downtime about how much they love SMI/J.
Old Dec 13, 2014, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by atword
HKG is a wonderful airport where every flight is an international flight. It is consistently ranked one of the best airports in the world. The United Club is also very good.
I am sure the powers that be in Beijing would beg to differ with that categorization since they see Hong Kong as part of their hegemony and the greater Peoples Republic of China...thus many flights are "domestic".

Originally Posted by atword
UA895/UA896 is one of United's premier routes and the equipment rarely has any issues. I've been on this ORD-HKG route many times but have never traveled on to SIN.

Being a pmUA route on pmUA metal with pmUA flight attendants you can have a nice chat with them during their downtime about how much they love SMI/J.
Unfortunately this also means that the C seats are UA's horrendous sardine cans with 2-4-2 compression vs the pmCO 777s that have the far superior 2-2-2 configuration and seats.
Old Dec 13, 2014, 7:44 am

Originally Posted by Shareholder
I am sure the powers that be in Beijing would beg to differ with that categorization since they see Hong Kong as part of their hegemony and the greater Peoples Republic of China...thus many flights are "domestic".
While they view HK as their territory, even China-HK flights are "international". Functionally HK is very autonomous. Different passports. Different currency. Different laws.

I guess my point is 100% of arriving passengers go through immigration...even mainlanders. Transit is is similar to many other places.
Old Dec 15, 2014, 11:07 pm

Programs: I'm a nobody everywhere
Originally Posted by Shareholder

Unfortunately this also means that the C seats are UA's horrendous sardine cans with 2-4-2 compression vs the pmCO 777s that have the far superior 2-2-2 configuration and seats.
hmm. Never been on a PRC - HKG flight where it was treated as a Domestic flight. Always through the "international" side.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.