Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[FARE GONE] CM IAD to CUZ $399 ai

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[FARE GONE] CM IAD to CUZ $399 ai

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2014, 12:54 am

What about upgrades? CPU/RPU/GPU what works on CM?
Old Jun 6, 2014, 6:16 am

Originally Posted by Lack
What about upgrades? CPU/RPU/GPU what works on CM?
CPU: http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont.../upgrades.aspx
Old Jun 6, 2014, 6:23 am

Originally Posted by BumpMe!
Yeah, I know, just wondering how the "South America (Copa flights only)" works? Seems that both IAD-PTY and PTY-LIM should be available? Or at least RPUable?
Old Jun 6, 2014, 7:45 am

Originally Posted by Lack
Yeah, I know, just wondering how the "South America (Copa flights only)" works? Seems that both IAD-PTY and PTY-LIM should be available? Or at least RPUable?
If my memory serves, people have had very positive experiences upgrading with Copa-- more positive than on the "home" carrier -- Continental (back then) and United (now).

RPU: https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...gupgrades.aspx
Old Jun 6, 2014, 8:34 am

Programs: Delta-DM, United, Hilton-DM, SPG-PLTM
Originally Posted by zitozac
I did this exact same thing last November. Left the US Sunday evening. Flew to Cusco and did the collectivo to Olly and train to AC on Monday. Got up and was on the first bus up to MP Tuesday morning, walked the grounds early before it got crowded and then hiked up to the Sungate, then took an afternoon train back to Cusco. Early AM flight on Wednesday back to Lima with about 8 hours that I killed in Miraflores and a redeye home in time for Thanksgiving dinner Thursday afternoon. It was an awesome trip but I definitely want to go back at a slower pace in the future. I also never experienced an altitude sickness.
Thanks for posting this, we're going over Labor Day weekend, a VERY quick trip, but with no vacation time you do what you have to do. Plan is to fly in on Saturday a.m. I'm thinking to do this to maximize our time at MP your thoughts are appreciated.

Arrive Saturday a.m. i already found a tour that will pick us up from the airport and give us a 1/2 day tour to the salt mines and such before dropping us off at Olly, take the train from Olly and spend the night in AC. Get up early and hit MP and do the Huayan climb. spend the morning hanging/exploring MP and then head back to CUZ for the night, Monday a.m. catcht the a.m. flight for the journey back to the US.

In doing some on-line research, this seems to maximize our short time there and get the most of MP as we can.

I'm thinking doing the Huayan climb at 10, do you think it's realistic to be done and ready to leave (seen most of MP) by 1 or 2, if we get there about 7 or 8?

Thanks again for the post and any feed back.
Old Jun 6, 2014, 12:05 pm

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by QDDawg

I'm thinking doing the Huayan climb at 10, do you think it's realistic to be done and ready to leave (seen most of MP) by 1 or 2, if we get there about 7 or 8?
Definitely, unless you are intent on stepping into every chamber and examining every stone. The side hike to see the Inca Drawbridge is worth it to me, it takes about 30-40 mins round trip.
Ollantaytambo is is also worth spending some time. I stayed at the Tikawasi Vally Hotel and was very satisfied (cheap, too!)
Old Jun 6, 2014, 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by Notenut
Definitely, unless you are intent on stepping into every chamber and examining every stone. The side hike to see the Inca Drawbridge is worth it to me, it takes about 30-40 mins round trip.
Ollantaytambo is is also worth spending some time. I stayed at the Tikawasi Vally Hotel and was very satisfied (cheap, too!)
Thank you SO Much for the info, I will add the drawbridge to the list and leave some time in Olly to look around.

Cheers!
Old Jun 6, 2014, 12:29 pm

Could you provide the tour name that takes you from CUZ to Olly? On the return, if we take the train back to Cuzco, are there cabs readily available at the train station to go to the airport, or do you have any recommendations for transfer that we can book in advance?
Old Jun 6, 2014, 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by KiwiQ2002
Could you provide the tour name that takes you from CUZ to Olly? On the return, if we take the train back to Cuzco, are there cabs readily available at the train station to go to the airport, or do you have any recommendations for transfer that we can book in advance?
Of course, KBPeru.com - someone else posted something about them either on this thread or maybe under Destinations. Great reviews.

They said you can take a cab, or there is shuttle van from Olly Train to Cusco, although I saw on the Perurail.com there are trains leaving MP and going straight to Cusco (and vice versa), which is what I think we will do on the return - depending on timing as "Notenut" said Olly is worth checking out.

Hotels up in Aguas Clientes seem fairly priced and I was able to book cancelable rates until I firm up all my plans. I feel it best for me to already be there and get a jump on MP without having to fool with the train in the a.m.

Check out the destinations link and you can find good info as well.
Old Jun 6, 2014, 1:38 pm

Anybody still seeing labor day on any OTA for the 399 price? It was there originally but price seems to have jumped for Aug 28-Sept 1 or Aug 29-Sept 2. Can only afford 1 day off, unfortunately.
Old Jun 6, 2014, 3:35 pm

Programs: AA Ex Plt
We'll be traveling together - booked the same trip $402 on cheapoair

Anyone have a suggestion for a late night 5H layover in LIM? Time to visit the city and get some food? Anything nearby?

Originally Posted by QDDawg
booked it, on Orbitz over Labor Day weekend, it's a hell of a flight

IAD-PTY-LIM-CUZ and back CUZ-LIM-PTY-IAD but for $408 RT to Machu Pichu is well worth the discomfort.

24 hours to cancel so you can sleep on it.

I did notice the price already went up on to $540, but maybe you can play with dates.

Last edited by thegrailer; Jun 6, 2014 at 3:45 pm
Old Jun 7, 2014, 9:23 pm

Yes, it is legit

This is Orbitz's policy and I have cancelled several times at the 25th hour. You do get until 11PM the next day and it's legit, don't worry.

Originally Posted by Duke777
Booked a long weekend in CUZ with my GF over Labor Day Weekend! Now waiting on ticket numbers...Cuzco is one of my favorite places and my GF has wanted to go.

Orbitz says I have until 11 PM EST the next day to cancel. Is this legit?? Surprised it's over 24 hours to cancel with full refund.
Old Jun 7, 2014, 9:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
*Sigh* I'd need a positioning flight, and current status/perks aren't in the UA/CM orbit. If it was only one or the other and not both I'd jump on it, especially with a FlexPerks redemption.
Old Jun 9, 2014, 2:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, WN A+, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Amb, Hertz PC
When did everyone book?

My GF and I fly out of IAD on the afternoon flight August 29 and return in the evening on September 4. Not looking forward to passing 4.5 hours overnight in LIM, which is what I did 9 years ago when I was in Peru.

Also, I assume the Avianca segment is in the lowest fare bucket and earns 50% PQMs on UA?

Looking forward to the trip! Hopefully we snag an upgrade on a segment or two. Went to PTY over Memorial Day weekend and had no luck. Two years ago, I had luck on all 4 of my segments to UIO over Labor Day Weekend.
Old Jun 9, 2014, 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by Duke777
When did everyone book?

Also, I assume the Avianca segment is in the lowest fare bucket and earns 50% PQMs on UA?
Our Avianca segments booked into P, which appears to earn 100%.
http://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/mark...spx?ItemId=436
Interestingly, the Copa site mistakenly reads that P as "business class" when we view our itinerary (as if it's a UA P, I guess).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.