Wiki Posts
Search

AA:BOS-DFW-ANC $374, 9200mi, 4cpm

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2014, 5:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond

Wide open all through September and sporadically throughout the summer. Pricing is (I'm assuming) due to 757 service from May-September DFW-ANC.

There are same-day returns, but I can't find a single one that works that lets me not miss any M-F work. In order to do that (Sat --> Sun), it prices to $508 and the return is through ORD on AS (so no upgrade). Not worth it for me.

Can anyone make this work on a weekend?
Old Mar 14, 2014, 5:59 am

Programs: AA EXP
Looks like weekends are 0-days on F or Friday-Monday

AA: BOS-ANC $374 in Sep. is like clockwork.

Have to say, avoiding the AS redeye is key here. 12AM departure, 6 hours to ORD isn't my favorite, I did this last year and it killed the entire next day.

ANC-DFW @ 10:30 PM isn't so bad, 757 has more space in F.
Old Mar 14, 2014, 6:01 am

Looks like you can connect through ORD and DFW for $4 more.
Old Mar 14, 2014, 6:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlightWhite
Looks like weekends are 0-days on F or Friday-Monday

AA: BOS-ANC $374 in Sep. is like clockwork.

Have to say, avoiding the AS redeye is key here. 12AM departure, 6 hours to ORD isn't my favorite, I did this last year and it killed the entire next day.

ANC-DFW @ 10:30 PM isn't so bad, 757 has more space in F.
I did the exact same a couple times last year, ANC-ORD red-eye, and you're right, it's brutal. If I'm to do this run this year, I really want to do it on AA metal. I can't find DFW-ANC-DFW without it pricing at $500+ (on weekends, to avoid M-F). Did you have any luck?
Old Mar 14, 2014, 6:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!

ANC-DFW redeye is pretty brutal too, let me assure you .
Old Mar 14, 2014, 6:13 am
Original Poster

It looks like, as reported, BOS-ORD-DFW-ANC-DFW-ORD-BOS works, but is 9400 miles. How is that possible - only 200 more miles for ORD both ways? I didn't sleep last night so excuse my simple error here...
Old Mar 14, 2014, 6:17 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA Gold/1MM, AS MVP 100K, BA Gold, TK Elite
Originally Posted by callmedtop
It looks like, as reported, BOS-ORD-DFW-ANC-DFW-ORD-BOS works, but is 9400 miles. How is that possible - only 200 more miles for ORD both ways? I didn't sleep last night so excuse my simple error here...
This is true. ORD is almost on the way and since both segments are over 500 miles, no minimum bonus.
Old Mar 14, 2014, 6:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That's right. ORD isn't too far away from a BOS-DFW nonstop. I wouldn't bother in most situations with adding the extra stop, unless you really need those extra few hundred.
Old Mar 14, 2014, 6:18 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the reality check.

I'm thinking about taking off 9/12 and doing a 9/12-9/13 run. I'm about 15k miles away from re-qualifying based on planned travel so this may be worth it. Hard to predict what my week will look like 6 months away, though...
Old Mar 14, 2014, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Delete

Last edited by TheBOSman; Mar 14, 2014 at 6:51 am Reason: Incorrect info
Old Mar 14, 2014, 6:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TheBOSman
Ugh it seems to have the same obnoxious messup as last year's ANC fare did that requires a stopover in one direction, meaning you must spend 4+ hours connecting somewhere. Makes it tougher to fly out of BOS except on the obnoxiously early 5:45-6AM flight that basically is unreachable with public transit.
I was able to avoid that early, early, flight, luckily. I just put on hold, leaving on a Friday:

BOS-DFW-ANC 7:15am departure, 5 hour DFW layover (but with Centurion lounge, no big deal)

1 hour layover in ANC

ANC-DFW-BOS 8:30pm departure, with 1 hour layover in DFW

Gets back into Boston at 11am Saturday, but makes me miss work on Friday.

Decisions, decisions...
Old Mar 14, 2014, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

BOS-DFW 7:15am departure
That is probably my second worst ex-BOS flight for getting an EXP upgrade (BOS-LAX afternoon is definitely the worst). I try to avoid it whenever possible, at least if I want F. Just a thought from someone who flies too much .
Old Mar 14, 2014, 6:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TheBOSman
That is probably my second worst ex-BOS flight for getting an EXP upgrade (BOS-LAX afternoon is definitely the worst). I try to avoid it whenever possible, at least if I want F. Just a thought from someone who flies too much .
Glad I'm doing the afternoon BOS-LAX three times over the next 2 months . Maybe I'll be a fool and burn a SWU, like I did last month when I flew BOS-LAX when it was down to F1. Luckily the agent extended the SWU for BOS-LAX-DFW (flew LAX-DFW-BOS on the return), which would have never cleared otherwise.
Old Mar 14, 2014, 7:20 am

I've got a 9/20-9/22 BOS-DFW-ANC-DFW-BOS with a 3 hour cx out and 50 minute cx back on hold. Why are 12 DEF blocked on the 757s?

I would have booked something earlier in the season, but hotel prices are ridiculous until the weekend of the 20th and I want to explore a bit more.

Last edited by Ambraciot; Mar 14, 2014 at 8:05 am
Old Mar 14, 2014, 11:50 am

Programs: AA PPRO (OW Emerarld), BA Silver, DL PM
Originally Posted by Ambraciot
Why are 12 DEF blocked on the 757s?
Disabled access/airport control. Before MCE both rows 11 and 12 were all blocked.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.