Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

(FARE GONE) UA: SFO-GRR $232.40 - 3.59 cpm or 3.45 cpm with 500 min

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2013, 2:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond

I can find a same day Saturday turn:
SFO-IAH-DEN-GRR
GRR-CLE-DEN-SFO

Bookable on united.com, but you have to search for it on hipmunk.com

Credit to http://www.theflightdeal.com/2013/06...ing-all-taxes/, but my cpm is lower

I only see it Oct 26 and Nov 2, and I just booked one Oct 26.

Old Jun 6, 2013, 11:37 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA*S, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond | Formerly: AC Super Elite
FML fare might be gone? I went on matrix for Oct26 and Nov2, SFO-GRR ua ua+ and both dates are $418
Old Jun 7, 2013, 9:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by maradori
FML fare might be gone? I went on matrix for Oct26 and Nov2, SFO-GRR ua ua+ and both dates are $418
I'm seeing that now too

With a lot of these fares, it seems like you really have to jump on them within an hour two.
Old Jun 7, 2013, 10:38 am
Suspended

Cpm may have been good, but a run that starts at midnight and continues 23 hours until 11PM with no flights that are long enough to do more than barely nap ... well, that sounds brutal.

I'd pay a bit more to get a run that wouldn't leave me debilitated for a week afterwards!
Old Jun 7, 2013, 11:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bobbysfca
Cpm may have been good, but a run that starts at midnight and continues 23 hours until 11PM with no flights that are long enough to do more than barely nap ... well, that sounds brutal.

I'd pay a bit more to get a run that wouldn't leave me debilitated for a week afterwards!
I actually find these are easy to recover on. By the time I get home, I can fall asleep right away, and after a good night's sleep, I'm good to go.

For me, it's harder if this were to return at 4pm. I'd get home, be exhausted, pass out, and wake up at midnight. Then I'm screwed for a week
Old Jun 7, 2013, 1:32 pm

Programs: Starwood Plat, UA Plat, 2MM, AS MVPG
This is a very tough route to get rest.
Old Jun 7, 2013, 8:52 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA*S, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond | Formerly: AC Super Elite
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I actually find these are easy to recover on. By the time I get home, I can fall asleep right away, and after a good night's sleep, I'm good to go.

For me, it's harder if this were to return at 4pm. I'd get home, be exhausted, pass out, and wake up at midnight. Then I'm screwed for a week
My thoughts exactly, which is why I also put myself though these type of agony flights. Doing the necessary time to get the rewards at the end.

Congrats on being able to get a tix on this MR canadiancow. Not sure how you get to the airport, but the only scary part of this MR is arriving past 11pm. I've had many many close calls almost missing the BART when the last flight gets delayed.
Old Jun 8, 2013, 12:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by maradori
My thoughts exactly, which is why I also put myself though these type of agony flights. Doing the necessary time to get the rewards at the end.

Congrats on being able to get a tix on this MR canadiancow. Not sure how you get to the airport, but the only scary part of this MR is arriving past 11pm. I've had many many close calls almost missing the BART when the last flight gets delayed.
If I can just go to the airport after work, we have a shuttle that drops off at Millbrae BART, so in this case, I'll leave work on Friday, make my way from Millbrae to SFO, then just sit at the airport until it's time for my flight. In this case, I can leave work around 9pm, take a shuttle to BART, BART to SFO, and I'll probably arrive between 10:00 and 10:30. I will do this for the outbound on this MR.

If it's not feasible to leave from work, and BART is running, I take BART when I have carry-on only (which I do for an MR).

If it's outside of BART hours, I pay $16 for a shared van service. I'll probably be booking one of those to get home after the MR.
Old Jun 8, 2013, 8:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K
There's no way I could do that kind of MR. Those red eyes were great when I was in my 20s. Now I'm pretty picky and only take flight when I can sleep in a bed! :-)
Old Jun 17, 2013, 5:02 pm

Nice to see something to GRR.....MR'ing from here sux.
Old Jun 17, 2013, 6:23 pm
k2o

Programs: UA 1K, DL Dia.,AA Plat, Hilton Dia,Bonvoy T
Originally Posted by LufthansaFlyer
I agree...TVC is just as bad!
Old Jun 17, 2013, 7:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
there is a saying, friends dont let friends fly midcon redeyes. i only had to do one SMF-IAH to understand the saying.
Old Jun 19, 2013, 9:39 am

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by k2o
I agree...TVC is just as bad!
Bad? I would say horrid. For a couple of trips I've had to plan, I've looked to maybe start from TVC instead of GRR or AZO. It's always been at least an extra $150-200.

Still, I think GRR is the perfect size of an airport - not too big, not too small, and has a wide variety of destinations. Being in SAN currently, I would jump all over this if it wasn't (expired) and so far in the future.
Old Jun 24, 2013, 1:59 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by LufthansaFlyer
Please Note: All referenced fares below are no longer available! Also note that the sale prices advertised were from airlines other than Delta. I simply searched to see how well Delta matched others' sale prices and found some winners!

Patience and research (and perhaps a willingness to travel a bit). MR's from GRR and surrounding are possible. 2 weeks ago or thereabouts, I picked up a GRR -ATL -SFO-ATL-GRR for $242 = 4.3 cpm on DL, also that week when I went back to buy another SFO run, it was gone.

So I checked some other city pairs on sale.

UA had advertised SBN (SouthBend, IN - a mere 1 1/2 hr. drive from GRR) to SAN don't remember UAs price but DL came in at $249.?? The routing is unusual and great for MQM's - SBN - DTW -JFK - SAN (1 hr and 20 min turn) -ATL -DTW -SBN. This one is an incredible 3.8cpm!

Last, yes it is a little bit of a drive but I picked up a DL MDW -MSP -MIA - MSP -MDW for a mere $152 = 3.7cpm!

So it is possible to find them. What has worked for me is:

1) Check FlyerTalk Mileage Runs Forum, daily - or multiple times daily! Also read the Mileage Run Discussion Subforum. Even if the deal is not for your airline, check and see if your airline is matching! Also check First/Business class fares on cheap RT tickets; sometimes they are low (ie, RT GRR to SFO via ATL, Econ tix were $202, I think, and FC (no BE flats) was $650 and some change) So FC can be affordable and you get class of service bonus on your MQMs.

2) Check TheFlightDeal

3) Check airfarewatchdog (AFWD) for deals from your home airport - then using Matrix ITA and using a filter to get only your airline of choice, see if that airline is matching other carriers' deals. If no deal, then go back to AFWD and check deals from airports close by.

Happy Hunting!

Last edited by Bradhattan; Jun 24, 2013 at 2:16 pm Reason: Incorrect original FC price referenced ($600)
Old Jun 24, 2013, 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by Bradhattan
Please Note: All referenced fares below are no longer available! Also note that the sale prices advertised were from airlines other than Delta. I simply searched to see how well Delta matched others' sale prices and found some winners!

Patience and research (and perhaps a willingness to travel a bit). MR's from GRR and surrounding are possible. 2 weeks ago or thereabouts, I picked up a GRR -ATL -SFO-ATL-GRR for $242 = 4.3 cpm on DL, also that week when I went back to buy another SFO run, it was gone.

So I checked some other city pairs on sale.

UA had advertised SBN (SouthBend, IN - a mere 1 1/2 hr. drive from GRR) to SAN don't remember UAs price but DL came in at $249.?? The routing is unusual and great for MQM's - SBN - DTW -JFK - SAN (1 hr and 20 min turn) -ATL -DTW -SBN. This one is an incredible 3.8cpm!

Last, yes it is a little bit of a drive but I picked up a DL MDW -MSP -MIA - MSP -MDW for a mere $152 = 3.7cpm!

So it is possible to find them. What has worked for me is:

1) Check FlyerTalk Mileage Runs Forum, daily - or multiple times daily! Also read the Mileage Run Discussion Subforum. Even if the deal is not for your airline, check and see if your airline is matching! Also check First/Business class fares on cheap RT tickets; sometimes they are low (ie, RT GRR to SFO via ATL, Econ tix were $202, I think, and FC (no BE flats) was $650 and some change) So FC can be affordable and you get class of service bonus on your MQMs.

2) Check TheFlightDeal

3) Check airfarewatchdog (AFWD) for deals from your home airport - then using Matrix ITA and using a filter to get only your airline of choice, see if that airline is matching other carriers' deals. If no deal, then go back to AFWD and check deals from airports close by.

Happy Hunting!

I use the tools you reference, but after factoring in driving to SBN, MDW or anywhere, it actually jacks up the CPM beyond it making sense. the $80 in gas/parking/wear and tear defeats the purpose IMHO. I did book 8 of the GRR-SAN deals with creative routing including CLE, ORD, IAH, DEN, and a few others. Fares ranged from 184-190 AI. With 500 min EQM's it shot the PQM's straight up!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.