Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals
Reload this Page >

UA: LAX/ORD<->BAH $707 ai RT (18k mi, .039 CPM, Nov 2013)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2013, 8:48 am
Original Poster

I just booked a turn around trip to Bahrain from LAX on the United web site. The trip leaves on a Saturday and returns Monday morning at 11AM, so it may be possible to not use a vacation day.

LAX-IAD-BAH (stop in KWI)
BAH-IAD-LAX (stop in KWI)

$707.20 for 18,246 miles in economy.

Once I land in BAH I will have just less than three hours to catch the plane back to the US.

There are similar prices for other durations in November.

The only worry I have is that I have 50 minutes after landing in IAD to catch the IAD-BAH flight.

Cheers

Last edited by JaggerFoo; May 15, 2013 at 9:02 am Reason: Correct CPM in title
Old May 15, 2013, 9:39 am

Similar turn around trip out of ORD for $634. Trip leaves Saturday at 8:50am and returns Monday at 11am.

ORD-IAD-KWI- BAH
BAH-KWI-IAD-ORD
Old May 15, 2013, 10:29 am

Programs: UA 1K, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Plat, Marriott Gold, HH Silver
And the fare from ORD allows for connection through IAH and IAD, both. If you route ORD-IAH-IAD-BAH and back you can get this down to 3.6 CPM.
Old May 15, 2013, 10:36 am

Programs: UA Gold/1MM
Wink

Originally Posted by JaggerFoo
I just booked a turn around trip to Bahrain from LAX on the United web site. The trip leaves on a Saturday and returns Monday morning at 11AM, so it may be possible to not use a vacation day.

Cheers
I would need the rest of the week to recover
Old May 15, 2013, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
routing on PS via JFK/IAD and upgrading it with an RPU may lessen the pain

I believe routing via EWR/IAD is more points than IAH/IAD. Thats the only ones I've seen apart from LAS/SFO
Old May 15, 2013, 11:31 am
Formerly known as vgandhi

Programs: Delta 1 MM and Platinum, United Premier Platinum, Starwood Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Choice Gold
UA: LAX&lt;-&gt;BAH, $707/18k mi, .039 CPM, Nov 2013

I booked IAH-ORD-IAD-KWI-BAH rt for $ 693 but I am staying there for one night leaving during the Memorial Day long weekend
Will let you know how it went after I come back this will give me 16674 miles
Old May 15, 2013, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by gotofly
I booked IAH-ORD-IAD-KWI-BAH rt for $ 693 but I am staying there for one night leaving during the Memorial Day long weekend
Will let you know how it went after I come back this will give me 16674 miles
Doing at least 1 night is a good idea. Not sure about memorial day weekend but got my first op-up on UA for Presidents day weekend 2012 on IAD-KWI-BAH (As Gold on a status challenge). Since the return flight is so late night/early morn may want to ask the hotel about a late check out. I staryed at a Ramada and it only charged 50% of the daily rate for a 10PM check out (they voluntarily refunded 50% of the extra day I booked as i was not aware of the late check out policy)

I suggest applying for eVisa in advance. Make sure you attach a scan of your passport or it will be denied. Also be sure to know where you are staying and how you are getting to the hotel (they asked me this, and were very upset with a passenger who didnt). Also dont say you are on a mileage run. I told them i was there for quick vacation and to go swimming and dancing.

I personally wouldn't suggest a same day turn. i havnt tried the transit route but they were extra cautious of everyone on my flight and took around 90 min to 2 hours before they said i could enter (that was with preapproved visa). It might just have been since i went there near the 1 year anniversary of Arab Spring.

US State Department website states the following:

ENTRY / EXIT REQUIREMENTS FOR U.S. CITIZENS: You must have a passport valid for at least six months and a visa to enter Bahrain. U.S. passport holders outside Bahrain may apply and pay for a two-week tourist eVisa online through the Bahraini government website, or may obtain and pay for a visa upon arrival at any of the ports of entry. Bahraini authorities encourage U.S. citizens to apply for eVisas prior to arriving in Bahrain. U.S. diplomatic passport holders can get a no-fee two-week visa upon arrival. Prior to travel, visitors may also obtain a five-year multiple-entry visa valid for stays as long as one month from Bahraini embassies overseas.

All travelers to Bahrain face close scrutiny from Bahraini authorities and should be prepared to answer questions regarding the purpose of their travel to Bahrain. The Government of Bahrain has refused some U.S. citizens permission to enter Bahrain.
Old May 15, 2013, 2:15 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by tashi
I would need the rest of the week to recover
I did KWI run last weekend without spending a night. No recovery needed whatsoever - I stayed on Central time throughout the trip.
Old May 15, 2013, 2:19 pm
Formerly known as vgandhi

Programs: Delta 1 MM and Platinum, United Premier Platinum, Starwood Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Choice Gold
UA: LAX&lt;-&gt;BAH, $707/18k mi, .039 CPM, Nov 2013

I already applied and got approved for Evisa and I will stay in Sheraton as I am Starwood gold and can have a late checkout also have rented a car for one day for $40
Old May 15, 2013, 2:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Diamond, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold
Booked two trips:

11/2 ORD-IAH-IAD-BAH-IAD (throwing away return ORD since ex WAS)

11/16 ORD-IAH-IAD-BAH-IAD (again throwing away ORD)

For each itinerary, I have two tickets on hold. One for same-day turn and one with a 1 night stay.

I'd prefer to do the no night turnaround but CDKing's comments make me nervous.

Has anyone recently done a same day turnaround with ~3 hours in BAH?
Old May 15, 2013, 2:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Diamond, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by JaggerFoo

LAX-IAD-BAH (stop in KWI)
BAH-IAD-LAX (stop in KWI)

$707.20 for 18,246 miles in economy.

Once I land in BAH I will have just less than three hours to catch the plane back to the US.

There are similar prices for other durations in November.

The only worry I have is that I have 50 minutes after landing in IAD to catch the IAD-BAH flight.

Cheers
Do you have any concerns about being held up by Bahrain officials? Especially doing a turnaround of 3 hours?
Old May 15, 2013, 2:51 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Man this is tempting! The turn and burn in BAH has me worried though.
Old May 15, 2013, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by n8onUA
Booked two trips:

11/2 ORD-IAH-IAD-BAH-IAD (throwing away return ORD since ex WAS)

11/16 ORD-IAH-IAD-BAH-IAD (again throwing away ORD)

For each itinerary, I have two tickets on hold. One for same-day turn and one with a 1 night stay.

I'd prefer to do the no night turnaround but CDKing's comments make me nervous.

Has anyone recently done a same day turnaround with ~3 hours in BAH?
Are there multiple US connection cities allowed with this fare? So you could route home via SFO/PDX/SEA and drop the last flight to LAX if you need to?
Old May 15, 2013, 3:03 pm

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
What's the honest assessment of going for 2-3 days? US passport. And taking 2 kids along.

Will they question why an American family would fly to the other side of the world for a long weekend in Bahrain? My typical answer to this question is 'it was a good fare.' And that's the truth.
Old May 15, 2013, 3:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG G, #1 CG 5☆
Originally Posted by hobo13
What's the honest assessment of going for 2-3 days? US passport. And taking 2 kids along.

Will they question why an American family would fly to the other side of the world for a long weekend in Bahrain? My typical answer to this question is 'it was a good fare.' And that's the truth.
As a parent of a two year old occasional mileage runner, that sounds about right. All papers are in order and the trip is paid for. With a place like Bahrain, a stamp from Israel, a Jewish last name, or suspected sympathy with the Arab Spring movement could be an issue, but that notwithstanding I can't think of anything.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.