Wiki Posts
Search

TK IAD-IST $399 ai, 10450 miles or 3.8 CPM

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2013, 12:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by salesna
That's quite a deal. A few weeks back I booked a similar UA itinerary (DCA-EWR-IST-EWR-DCA) for $538, and I thought that was a steal. Now I wish I'd waited to pull the trigger.
Ditto times two (wife is going on this MR )
Old Jan 11, 2013, 8:42 am

Programs: UA Gold, VX Gold, AA PLT, DL Gold, MR Gold, HH Diamond, Hertz 5* Gold
Originally Posted by FTconnie
Finally pulled the trigger, was debating it this morning and my 1st choice dates are gone now. Any deals on parking near IAD for about 10 days?
Originally Posted by kmfdm91
take public transport, by MegaBus or BoltBus or Amtrak...parking at Dulles is not cheap, even Economy is $10/day I believe - so you're talking about US$100 plus the gas down, whereas the other options are definitely cheaper...
Take public transit to DC. (Plus Amtrak is running a buy 2 get 1 free special in the NE now, I think...saw something a few days ago here on the MR Deals forum.)

There is a Metro 5A Express bus that runs right to the terminal at Dulles. I think it's...$6 one way. The bus starts at the L'Enfant Metro Rail station in DC, stops in Rosslyn and at Herndon-Monroe before getting to the terminal.

I've parked at all three DC area airports, and IMO, Dulles is the worst. Usually I just have a family member drop me off at the terminal, since I live just down the road, but on the occasions that I have had to park there...economy is $10/day, and it can take a while to get to the terminal by shuttle bus. (BWI is much better. Even DCA is better, though expensive.)

Last edited by vandrei; Jan 11, 2013 at 8:50 am Reason: added reply to FTconnie, Metro 5A schedule
Old Jan 11, 2013, 9:16 am

Sorry folks, but can somebody explain what "UA Metal" and ".bomb" is to this newbie?
Old Jan 11, 2013, 9:52 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, KrisFlyer Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Chase Private Client
Originally Posted by toinktoink
Sorry folks, but can somebody explain what "UA Metal" and ".bomb" is to this newbie?
"UA Metal" refers to flying on an actual UA plane. ".bomb" is a name for UA's website because of frequent crashes/issues with the site.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 12:56 pm

Programs: AA Gold, MR Plat
Originally Posted by toinktoink
Originally Posted by jaytmoore
"UA Metal" refers to flying on an actual UA plane. ".bomb" is a name for UA's website because of frequent crashes/issues with the site.
UA = United Airlines
Old Jan 11, 2013, 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by PDXPremier
Ditto times two (wife is going on this MR )
Yeah, the $99 base fares ($538 price) looked pretty nice! This is one of the few times I wonder if the Orbitz price guarantee would have actually been useful...
Old Jan 11, 2013, 9:58 pm

Programs: AA PLT, Honors Diamond, Global Entry
Warning: watch out for UA 4129 (DCA-EWR) as part of this MR.

I foolishly booked this segment without checking its on-time percentage. Turns out it's a lousy 36%, with an average delay of 50m (STDEV=52m) per EF/FlightStats. My second segment, UA 904 (EWR-IST) departs a "mere" 90m after UA 4129 arrives; therefore, I'm worried about missing the long-haul segment and being rerouted - and, worse, ending up in a E- middle seat for 10hrs.

Naturally, I plan to arrive at DCA long before UA 4129 departs in hopes of scoring a SDC on an earlier flight - however, given that I'm on a K fare, I suspect standby will be my only option.

Any chance UA would be willing to waive the change fee in advance (i.e., now) to put me on an earlier DCA-EWR flight? Doing so would substantially reduce the sizable odds of UA having to reroute me and/or put me up in a hotel.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 10:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Delta Plat, AA Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Courtesy Card
Originally Posted by jbsay
Naturally, I plan to arrive at DCA long before UA 4129 departs in hopes of scoring a SDC on an earlier flight - however, given that I'm on a K fare, I suspect standby will be my only option.

Any chance UA would be willing to waive the change fee in advance (i.e., now) to put me on an earlier DCA-EWR flight? Doing so would substantially reduce the sizable odds of UA having to reroute me and/or put me up in a hotel.
I flew this route about 15 times last year. I don't think I ever missed out on a standby on this flight at peak travel times. It is chronically delayed and I would frequently switch onto earlier flights knowing they would be delayed to my scheduled departure time of the later flight. Your concern is merited and I would show up as early as possible. The early morning departures usually work out but delays accumulate over the course of the day and the afternoons can be chaotic. Best of luck...I'm on this trip out of Newark for Presidents Day weekend myself.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 4:26 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, Hilton Gold
I'm trying to find dates that would work with the LAX-IAD in this thread, but can't find any overlapping dates. Anyone see anything I don't? Would make one hell of a MR.

edit: booking all as their own trip, not one ticket, of course.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 6:06 am

Programs: No Longer Anything
Wish I wish I really wish I could do this, but already have trips in Feb and May planned. IST will be a vacation trip and would like to do later this year. There seems to be decent deals a few times a year, so I'll keep fingers crossed.

Originally Posted by FTconnie
Finally pulled the trigger, was debating it this morning and my 1st choice dates are gone now. Any deals on parking near IAD for about 10 days?
Originally Posted by kmfdm91
This is definitely Off-Topic, . . . ..but if you really do want to drive, you'd probably be very well suited for one of the stay at a hotel then fly deals, at some of the super cheap hotels out in the suburbs there...
Sheraton Herndon Dulles has good rates w/14 days of parking particularly if your one night stay is on a weekend. I have a night booked in May for $75 w/14 days of parking. I also like the hotel well enough.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 8:05 am

I foolishly booked this segment without checking its on-time percentage. Turns out it's a lousy 36%, with an average delay of 50m (STDEV=52m) per EF/FlightStats. My second segment, UA 904 (EWR-IST) departs a "mere" 90m after UA 4129 arrives; therefore, I'm worried about missing the long-haul segment and being rerouted - and, worse, ending up in a E- middle seat for 10hrs.

i

Thanks for the pointer. Like you, I'm on UA 4129 as part of an Istanbul MR. Will certainly try to get a SDC to an earlier flight.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 8:11 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, WN A+, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Amb, Hertz PC
So tempting to return to IST in February or March for these airfares.

I flew to IST back in October. I was originally scheduled on UA4129 which got cancelled and couldn't get on an earlier flight. UA put me on the TK nonstop from IAD. Since the TK flight isn't until 11:30 PM, you have a lot of flexibility if UA4129 is going to cause a misconnect.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 10:59 am

I am based in DC and I know what you are talking about. Unfortunately, they won't let you make any changes in advance without fee. And DC-NY flights have the highest cancellations rates. Last 4 of my 7 flights in this sector got canceled (different airlines).

Once I was flying to JFK from DC, and then connecting onto another airline (two separate PNRs). Stupidest idea, I know. I got burned. DCA-JFK got canceled. My vacation got cut short by a day plus the next day I had to pay $1600 extra to rebook.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 1:14 pm

Programs: AA PLT, Honors Diamond, Global Entry
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by leonidas
I am based in DC and I know what you are talking about. Unfortunately, they won't let you make any changes in advance without fee. And DC-NY flights have the highest cancellations rates. Last 4 of my 7 flights in this sector got canceled (different airlines).

Once I was flying to JFK from DC, and then connecting onto another airline (two separate PNRs). Stupidest idea, I know. I got burned. DCA-JFK got canceled. My vacation got cut short by a day plus the next day I had to pay $1600 extra to rebook.
Au contraire! A very kind gentleman at the Premier Desk was able to rebook me and my companion without charge on an earlier flight from DCA to EWR when I explained that the 36% on-time percentage would likely cause a misconnect. ^^^
Old Jan 12, 2013, 1:34 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by leonidas

Those kind of situations can sometimes be great for MRs. It allows for an opportunity for more creative routing and perhaps getting booked in a higher fare class that may even increase the upgrade chances.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.