Search

2 Vickers VC10 at MSP Today

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2008, 11:00 am
wil
Original Poster

Programs: Delta, Emirates, Starwood
2 Vickers VC10 at MSP Today

A little off topic, but was wondering if anyone else was at MSP today and saw 2 Vickers VC10's take off?

They look like military aircraft, assuming RAF, and was wondering if anyone knew what they are doing in MSP.

One left about 10:50am and the other about 11:40am CDT. Neither show up in flightaware so I am assuming they were military.
Old Sep 18, 2008, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SkyClub Lifer
Oh, those...

They're probably from RAF's 101 Squadron, over for some test flights and evaluation as the long-awaited replacements for the DC-9-50s.
Old Sep 18, 2008, 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by wil
A little off topic, but was wondering if anyone else was at MSP today and saw 2 Vickers VC10's take off?

They look like military aircraft, assuming RAF, and was wondering if anyone knew what they are doing in MSP.

One left about 10:50am and the other about 11:40am CDT. Neither show up in flightaware so I am assuming they were military.
MSP shares it's runways with the Air National Gaurd. So you see a lot of military planes. They do all sorts of exercises that commercial airlines are NOT allowed to do.
Old Sep 18, 2008, 12:25 pm

No info, but I just saw another one (?) fly over St. Paul about 5 minutes ago.
Old Sep 18, 2008, 12:58 pm

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
With all the turmoil over whether to buy 767s or 330s to replace the current air force tanker fleet, maybe the air force is wet leasing these as temporary tankers. http://www.vc10.net/History/tanker_conversions.html
Old Sep 18, 2008, 7:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
Rats - I had a 2 hour lunch break today and work 5 minutes down 494 from MSP. I would have swung by the airport during lunch to see these birds - don't see them too often here in the States.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.