Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cleveland to Chicago - Tourist Stopover Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2016, 7:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Museum of Science and Industry in Chicago has some neat transportation artifacts, including:

First vehicle to go 100 mph (locomotive), first vehicle to go 500 mph, early cars, Indianapolis race cars, first diesel streamlined train, elaborate ship models, entire Nazi submarine (one of the greatest museum exhibits you will ever see), early airplanes, etc.
Old Jan 27, 2016, 9:52 pm

Programs: DL, WN, AA, IHG Diamond, Hertz 5*
There is a large outlet mall in Michigan City, Indiana that is an easy stop en route to Chicago.

One other northern Indiana place of interest might be the Amish community of Shipshewana, just east of South Bend. And just across the Michigan state line in Auburn, IN is a Dusenberg car museum.
Old Jan 29, 2016, 3:36 pm
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone for their help and advice. Here's our plan to try and make the most of things:

10 April - Fly to Detroit from San Francisco - arrive 23:35 stay in hotel near airport
11 April - visit Ford Museum and Motown Museum then Drive to Cleveland
12 April - visit Rock & Roll Hall of Fame and Crawford Auto and Aviation Museum
13 April - drive to South Bend visit Studebaker Museum, overnight in LaPorte
14 April - visit Michigan Mall and Museum of Science and Industry overnight in Schaumberg area
15 April - visit Harley Davidson Museum and possible Brewery Tour, back to Schaumberg
16 April - Last minute shopping and evening flight back to the UK

Everyone's suggestions and advice have been really helpful. Clearly in our limited time we will not be able to do everything. However, this has inspired us to return in 2017 and spend at least a couple of weeks in the Illinois/Wisconsin area.

Thanks again for all the help and advice.

Nigel.
Old Jan 29, 2016, 7:13 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Glad to see you fit Milwaukee in. I'd suggest Lakefront Brewery for good beer (not sure how the tour is, but it's typically sold out on weekends).

For good food at a fairly decent price, try the Third Ward neighborhood. It's mainly small art and fashion shops, with a number of little restaurants along the river.

Another very touristy thing to do on the drive between Chicago and Milwaukee is to stop at the Mars Cheese Castle, right along highway I-94. Buy the fresh cheese curds for a snack as you drive. They won't be refrigerated but don't let that throw you off.

I live in and love Chicago, but find Milwaukee to be unique among large US cities. Have fun!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.