Reload this Page >

Help me a plan a road trip ex-MCI :)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Help me a plan a road trip ex-MCI :)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2014, 2:58 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz
Original Poster

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Those are GREAT ideas if heading north and west is not possible. Here's the latest iteration of Black Hills route planning:

http://goo.gl/maps/mKSbx

There's a decent-sounding motel in no-doubt-beautiful Murdo, SD, for the second night

Wish the two points-breaks IHG hotels on the route that were/are available through 1/31 were continuing into February.
Old Feb 3, 2014, 7:44 am

Well, if I were you, I'd take I-80 all the way from North Platte to Lincoln then take 77 down to Manhatten, as both Manhattan and Lincoln are college towns and have more to do.

But if your intention is just the scenary en route and not the stops, I couldn't tell you which is better, having never been on 24. But I-80 in Nebraska is generally considered a boring drive, scenery-wise. But fast, and maybe not so boring to people not used to the Midwest.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Suggestions for a day trip or overnight from Kansas City? This thread inspired a brief vacation while my wife is away later this summer. Except for STL and MCI, I've void of Midwest destinations.

dh
Old Jul 23, 2017, 3:58 pm
Original Member

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Diamond, AA Plat Pro, UA Silver
Originally Posted by dhammer53
Suggestions for a day trip or overnight from Kansas City? This thread inspired a brief vacation while my wife is away later this summer. Except for STL and MCI, I've void of Midwest destinations.

dh
Branson, Mo 3 hours
Topeka, KS 1 hour (historical sites like the NPS Brown vs BoE)
Wichita, KS 3 hours (west of town 30 miles or so is a salt mine tour and museum (650 feet underground)
Omaha, NE 3 hours
Lincoln, NE 3 hours.
Nebraska City, NE 2 hours (Arbor day lodge and museum)
Des Moines, IA (Ia state capital) 3 hours
Chicago is about 8 hours so not good for day trip but maybe a long weekend

Maybe more south than midwest but
Oklahoma City just under 5 hours(Oklahoma Memorial)
Fayetteville and Benton, AK 3.5 hours.
Little Rock, AK 6 hours

Towns along the Missouri River like Rulo and Brownsville have trails you can walk along side the river and local touristy shops. (2 hours)
Old Jul 23, 2017, 8:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Originally Posted by kklems
Branson, Mo 3 hours
Wichita, KS 3 hours (west of town 30 miles or so is a salt mine tour and museum (650 feet underground)
Omaha, NE 3 hours
Lincoln, NE 3 hours.

Little Rock, AK 6 hours

Towns along the Missouri River like Rulo and Brownsville have trails you can walk along side the river and local touristy shops. (2 hours)
I have 2.5 days in MCI, so a day trip to one of these places is a serious consideration. ^

dh
Old Jul 24, 2017, 2:03 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by kklems
Branson, Mo 3 hours
Omaha, NE 3 hours
Lincoln, NE 3 hours.

Little Rock, AK 6 hours

It's the right list, but not very inspiring. I suppose you could throw in the two KS university towns as well. My two cents would be just stay in KC and find something new and interesting there.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 3:41 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz
Original Poster

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
The Clinton Museum in Little Rock, plus some driving through the Ozarks would be a good trip.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.