Wiki Posts
Search

Detroit to Windsor for a few hours

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2012, 10:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: Independent

I am going to be in Detroit this weekend, and have some free time Friday afternoon. I was thinking of taking a quick trip into Windsor to go check out the BMW X-1 which we dont have here yet but they do. So I would probably only be spending an hour or two (maybe stop and get something to eat while I am over there). Is this a realistic proposition? I read some reports that say crossing only takes a couple of minutes, and others that say it's over an hour wait each way. Should I attempt it or is this too short a time to make it worth it?
Old Jul 25, 2012, 10:14 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Depends what time you want to cross the border.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 11:47 am

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
Originally Posted by Cloudship
I am going to be in Detroit this weekend, and have some free time Friday afternoon. I was thinking of taking a quick trip into Windsor to go check out the BMW X-1 which we dont have here yet but they do. So I would probably only be spending an hour or two (maybe stop and get something to eat while I am over there). Is this a realistic proposition? I read some reports that say crossing only takes a couple of minutes, and others that say it's over an hour wait each way. Should I attempt it or is this too short a time to make it worth it?
Windsor's an interesting area, but on a Friday afternoon in summer? Expect long lines and waits.

It only takes about 10 minutes to drive across, but what you don't know is how backed up it'll be at customs on both sides of the border ...

plus if you're going to DTW for a flight that afternoon or as far as that goes anywhere else in the area, you may have to deal with rush hour traffic and those wonderful orange barrels that are all over the place this time of year.

I would allow at least 5 to 6 hours to do this.

and one other thought, have you called the dealer to see if they have the car you want to look at in stock?

Bob H.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 12:02 pm

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
dup post -- woops

Last edited by BobH; Jul 26, 2012 at 4:54 am
Old Jul 26, 2012, 3:48 am

I agree. I think the tunnel is faster than the bridge, but I would still count for at least an hour. Or, if you're me, another 1/2-1 hour for being suspicious and getting your car searched.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.