Wiki Posts
Search

ORD to Mag Mile via Blue Line

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2011, 3:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA, AA, CO, IC AMB
ORD to Mag Mile via Blue Line

Hello, Chicagoans. I visit Chicago frequently but have never taken the blue line into the city from ORD. If my destination stop is Grand Ave on the red line, where is the best place to transfer? Thanks in advance for your help.

Bill.
Old Aug 26, 2011, 3:55 pm
glg

The only place to transfer blue to red is at jackson.

that said, it may be faster to get off a the blue line grand or chicago stop and grab the bus over to michigan ave, depending on what time you're going and what your ultimate destination is.
Old Aug 27, 2011, 1:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by glg
The only place to transfer blue to red is at jackson.
Or switch at Washington/Randolph (and pay 25 cents) which would be faster because it's further north. From there it's only one stop on the Red Line to Grand or a four block walk north. However, to do this you have to come upstairs and walk (same distance as Jackson transfer and all inside) and then go back down the escalator. This is a pain if you have luggage. A breeze if not.
Old Aug 27, 2011, 3:15 pm
Original Poster

Thank-you.

How lengthy is the walk from blue to red at either of these stations?
Old Aug 27, 2011, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by feedmeflyer
Thank-you.

How lengthy is the walk from blue to red at either of these stations?
Here's a video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRS9XNaS_hs
Old Aug 27, 2011, 3:42 pm
Original Poster

Perfect. Thanks very much for the info.
Old Aug 27, 2011, 9:55 pm

Programs: UA MM, AA PPro
Originally Posted by glg
it may be faster to get off a the blue line grand or chicago stop and grab the bus over to michigan ave, depending on what time you're going and what your ultimate destination is.
I second that. It will likely be quicker than going all the way down to Jackson, and involves less walking (but will cost extra $0.25). You can catch Bus 65 when you get off at Grand Blue, and it will take you to Michigan/Illinois.
Old Sep 5, 2011, 2:54 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Originally Posted by legalalien
I second that. It will likely be quicker than going all the way down to Jackson, and involves less walking (but will cost extra $0.25). You can catch Bus 65 when you get off at Grand Blue, and it will take you to Michigan/Illinois.
I third that. I lived in Chicago for three years and was on the L constantly. The Blue Line has tons of "Slow Zones" because the tracks are sooooo old. These zones are mostly underground. So, yes, just get out at Grand and catch the bus. The drivers thinks those busses are sports cars, so, you'll get to your destination in a reasonable time.

PS, the distance between trains at the Jackson stop is 2 blocks. You go from Dearborne, under Clark to State.
Old Sep 5, 2011, 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by dukesantos
I third that. I lived in Chicago for three years and was on the L constantly. The Blue Line has tons of "Slow Zones" because the tracks are sooooo old. These zones are mostly underground. So, yes, just get out at Grand and catch the bus. The drivers thinks those busses are sports cars, so, you'll get to your destination in a reasonable time.

PS, the distance between trains at the Jackson stop is 2 blocks. You go from Dearborne, under Clark to State.
You haven't lived there lately, I take it. The only slow zones are occasionally late at night if they're working on the track. Daytimes and evenings it's usually about 45-50 minutes between ORD and downtown.
Old Sep 5, 2011, 4:13 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Originally Posted by ILuvParis
You haven't lived there lately, I take it. The only slow zones are occasionally late at night if they're working on the track. Daytimes and evenings it's usually about 45-50 minutes between ORD and downtown.
God Bless progress. Baby steps to the 21st century.
Old Sep 6, 2011, 8:15 am
glg

Originally Posted by dukesantos

As already mentioned, a lot of the track has been rehabbed, so that isn't the problem it once was.

Also, it's only one block from Dearborn to State. Clark is on the other side of Dearborn.
Old Sep 6, 2011, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by glg
As already mentioned, a lot of the track has been rehabbed, so that isn't the problem it once was.
Sadly, this has not been my recent experience. The Blue line was "fast" for seeminly less than a month following the rehab - and it was wonderful while it lasted.

Now, the past several times I've take it to ORD the entire above ground section between Division and Belmont has been a "crawl along a 5 MPH zone", and there are also stretchs in the underground portion that are again slow. Still - my trip from LaSalle is averaging 50-60 minutes, rather than the 60-90 minutes it was at the height of the problems.
Old Sep 6, 2011, 10:21 am

Originally Posted by milepig
Sadly, this has not been my recent experience. The Blue line was "fast" for seeminly less than a month following the rehab - and it was wonderful while it lasted.

Now, the past several times I've take it to ORD the entire above ground section between Division and Belmont has been a "crawl along a 5 MPH zone", and there are also stretchs in the underground portion that are again slow. Still - my trip from LaSalle is averaging 50-60 minutes, rather than the 60-90 minutes it was at the height of the problems.
I got off a plane this a.m. at 9:40, Gate K9, stopped in the rest room, stopped at Hudson to buy a paper to read on the trip home, hopped on the train and walked in my front door, 3 1/2 blocks from UIC Halsted at 11:00. Again, the only time I have noticed a slow spot was late night. It was just as quick on Thursday mid-day when I left.
Old Sep 6, 2011, 12:21 pm

Although on Saturday - no slow zones but at ORD all the ticket machines bar two were down - so loooong wait for tickets and top up.
Old Sep 9, 2011, 8:40 am

Originally Posted by milepig

I take the blue line every day I am in town along that stretch (logan sq/California to downtown). There are no slow zones and there hasn't been for at least 6 months aside from some random one or two day things.

A couple months ago, I had to get off at Cumberland and get on a bus to ORD, which was awkward and slow but a one time deal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.