Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Access to the USO in ORD While Flying United

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2010, 6:10 pm
Original Poster

Access to the USO in ORD While Flying United

Evening all. Will be transiting ORD soon with about a 1.5 hour layover going from OKC to BOS. I'm a military dependent/ROTC cadet and would like to swing by the USO. Looking on the website, it appears to be outside security in Terminal 2 (above the NW counter, wherever that was).

Currently, my OKC-ORD flight is going into F12A and ORD-BOS is at Terminal 1 concourse B. Question is, would security lines at ORD make it too risky to go to the USO? Thanks for any comments you might have.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 6:31 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Judge for yourself as the USO is just outside of security in term 2, on the mezzazine level. As you trasit terminals, check the line, then decide as you will be right there.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 7:11 pm

The USO is ORD is quite the depressing place-- it's where at the new recruits go before heading up to great mistakes after they get sent from MEPS!

I don't know if I could handle going back!
Old Apr 15, 2010, 8:11 pm

Programs: DL Gold
Originally Posted by cmn.jcs
Evening all. Will be transiting ORD soon with about a 1.5 hour layover going from OKC to BOS. ... Question is, would security lines at ORD make it too risky to go to the USO? Thanks for any comments you might have.
Let's see... 1.5 hour layover. Assume 20 minutes to deplane and hike through the terminal to the USO, 20 minutes with zero security line to get to your new flight, and board 20 minutes early. Assuming your flight is on time, that gives you 30 minutes of time to split between the USO and whatever security line there is.

Unless there's something at the USO that's worth all that trouble (I did something similar for free wifi at the USO in IAD once) I'd stay on the other side of security.

Next time, fly through DEN. Great USO there.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 8:16 pm

Programs: DL PM, TSA Disparager Gold
I second the DEN USO recommendation, DFW is excellent also if you are flying AA. Despite living in Chicago for a year and flying through ORD countless times, I never visited the USO there so I can't comment on whether its worth visiting.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 8:23 pm
Original Poster

Thanks!

Thanks for all the info, folks. I personally have been to the USOs in DEN, IAD, DCA, DFW, SEA, HNL, ATL, LAX, SFO, SAN and MSP. I do certainly enjoy the space of the one in DEN, and I like the massage chairs at DCA. Unfortunately, time and money (but mostly money) dictated flying through ORD. My main pull for USOs are the snacks, with computer use coming in second. Guess I'll see how hungry I am once I get to ORD and see how the security lines look.

Again, thanks for all the info!

Also, FoundInRNO, I happened to be at the SAN USO on a day when the Marine recruits were coming in--got to see them lined up for the bus. My hat goes off to them for volunteering for that sort of fun.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 10:29 pm
Original Poster

Hoof it or transit?

Also, going from terminal 2 to 1, would it be easier to walk or take the people-mover?

Thanks!
Old Apr 18, 2010, 2:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Also, going from terminal 2 to 1, would it be easier to walk or take the people-mover?

Thanks!
Definetely walk. If you take the people-mover you will need to reclear security. Walking stays inside security. The two furthest points T2>T1 can't take more than 15-20 minutes to walk.
Old Apr 18, 2010, 9:25 pm

Also, FoundInRNO, I happened to be at the SAN USO on a day when the Marine recruits were coming in--got to see them lined up for the bus. My hat goes off to them for volunteering for that sort of fun.
See this link...

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/navyj...navybasic2.htm
Old Apr 23, 2010, 9:16 pm
Original Poster

BTW all, thanks for the help! Was able to get to the USO going both ways, and actually slept there for a night due to some IROPS. Also saw some inbound recruits. Hope they're doing ok.
Old Jul 3, 2010, 1:48 pm

Programs: Hilton, AA
Talking

Sorry for posting in old threads, I figure I should point out a few nuggets of information about the USO at O'Hare airport.

The USO at O'Hare is open 24 hours a day as long as there is a volunteer on duty, if you have the spare 30-60 minutes, its well worth your time to drop in, grab a bite to eat, fire up your laptop and use the free WiFi, and relax. There is also a big screen TV, a family room, and five recliners if you want a little shut eye.

There is a military line for security in terminals 1, 2, and 3. In terminal 2 (where the USO is) at the center security checkpoint, go to the far right lane, there is a sign that reads AIRPORT EMPLOYEES ONLY and there's a smaller sign that says Military with orders...

Show your military ID and your boarding pass to the TSA officer at checkpoint, and its just like you were in a First Class lane, you can swipe off a whole bunch of time normally spend standing in line.

One more point to consider if you're flying United Airlines, are in uniform, and flying with orders, you can use the United Red Carpet Club.

Hope this helps, have a safe holiday weekend!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.